A question about houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about houses

Whenever you're in the basement of a house, it's easy to hear footsteps, squeaky floor grinding sounds and other noises from the first floor above you. But if you're on the first floor, it's a lot harder to hear footsteps and other noises from the second floor above you.

What explains this difference?

My guess is that probably because the basement is insulated against outside sounds and the primary source of noise is from the floor above it, whereas on the first floor the muffling from outside ain't so.
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

May be sound made on the ground floors surface (like walking on the floors surface) can travel better compared to the sound made in the basement which has to pass through a opening (between the floors) and the walls.

??
      Last edited by kuku; 21 Aug 09,, 19:59.

Comment

OK, let me pose this question more simply: How many of us live in two-story houses that also have a basement?

[Hands raise up]

OK. When you're on the first floor and someone is moving around in the second floor upstairs, can you hear their footsteps and the floor beneath their feet creaking loudly?

[Most say no]

OK. Now, when you're in the basement and someone is walking around on the first floor, can you hear their movements more loudly?

[Most say yes]

What explains this difference?

Comment

Your question is to say the least,a little baffling. You wouldn,t be nipping at the ole hobbit pipe.....would you.

Comment

Your basement is supposed to be airtight. Your first floor isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Your basement is supposed to be airtight. Your first floor isn't.
              The ceilings in most basements are open, most first floor ceilings are insulated and enclosed providing baffles for the sounds.

Comment

Midichlorians.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  The ceilings in most basements are open, most first floor ceilings are insulated and enclosed providing baffles for the sounds.
                  That's probably it.

Kind of a weird question, but you don't have any links about the details of the design differences, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    The ceiling of the first floor and the floor of the second is a baffle in and of itself without insulation...

My question to Proyas would be is the basement in question finished? I.e. does the basement have a ceiling or is it open floor joists for the first floor?

Dang semantics...

Comment

Can someone explain why houses in the us have a basement? Is it an area that is below ground level? if so, why? Do all houses have a basement?

We build directly on the ground in the southern states, up north, they build "high set" houses, on stilts, supposedly to allow for a cool breeze to circulate underneath. But no one has a basement. Some may have a wine celler.

Freddie
                      Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                      vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                        Can someone explain why houses in the us have a basement? Is it an area that is below ground level? if so, why? Do all houses have a basement?

We build directly on the ground in the southern states, up north, they build "high set" houses, on stilts, supposedly to allow for a cool breeze to circulate underneath. But no one has a basement. Some may have a wine celler.

Freddie
                        I can't speak of houses in the US, but every house in Canada has a basement. My house is 3 floors/levels: the middle floor is the one that is basically ground level or a bit above it, the basement is completely built from underground, and then the highest level is where all the bedrooms are.

Not too far from where I live I've seen houses that are built completely above the ground -but still 3 floors- and to get to the backyard you have to walk out through the basement. I think thats only because the ground is uneven.

My old house was 2 levels/floors and the basement was underneath.

I can't believe you guys don't have basements in Australia :P

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                          Well considering Aus. is at the bottom of the world, if you tried to build a basement, the house would probably fall right through into outer space.
                          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Its because in the basement you can't hear those voices in your head as well as you can when you are on the 1st floor!
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                              Well considering Aus. is at the bottom of the world, if you tried to build a basement, the house would probably fall right through into outer space.
                              Oz is only at the bottom of the world because everyone assumes that that North is up. Why can't South be up? Hmmm.

Freddie.
                              Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                              vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Working...
                              X