Webley revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GN:

.38spl bullets for reloading are usually .356-.358. The .38S&W is .36-.361. [This weird historical numerical cartridge stuff is worth a sticky thread of its own.] Lee makes a 148gr lead SWC that's .360 & is supposed to do OK in .38S&W guns; better than the RNL service rounds @ impact, good lube provision & shoots to point of aim to boot. As for sawing off .38Spl empties, you got me. Sounds dubious for a variety of reasons, but I'll be waiting right here with tongue unfurled for any positive response. I got one, too, & I have more .38Spl hulls than God does. I'd love to take the critter canoing. The Webley. Not God. Although it's possible he might be of some help in high water with House Rock or Double Trouble on the Locust Fork.

Prof

Comment

Looks like I made a mistake on the serial number. My Webley has an "A" in front of the numbers so that indicates it was built after WW2. Which made more sense because Singapore police wouldn't have a need for a revolver in 1943. It looks like my Webley was made in 1957.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Looks like I made a mistake on the serial number. My Webley has an "A" in front of the numbers so that indicates it was built after WW2. Which made more sense because Singapore police wouldn't have a need for a revolver in 1943. It looks like my Webley was made in 1957.
        Aw, Hell, GN. You got your Webley. Your glass is more than half full.

Prof

Comment

As promised, here are the photos:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by gunnut; 08 Dec 09,, 05:12.

Comment

More...
            Attached Files

Comment

GN:

What a keeper. Man, you done good for $225. Envy. Makes mine look like shit.

Prof

Comment

I can't see any erosion on the topstrap, doesn't look like it's been shot much. Nice sharp rifling.

nice find gunnut.
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Finally managed to find some brass to reload this sucker. Bought reloading dies and brass, using primer, powder, and 158 gr bullets from my 357 stash to come up with these guys.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Gunnut, pick yourself up a case trimmer and you can use that .38 spl brass.

edit: hmm... take that back. Apparently there is risk of case splitting. Safer to buy new brass.
                    Last edited by highsea; 10 Jan 10,, 20:30.
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                      Gunnut, pick yourself up a case trimmer and you can use that .38 spl brass.

edit: hmm... take that back. Apparently there is risk of case splitting. Safer to buy new brass.
                      I thought about that, but it appears the 38 SPL brass is just a hair narrower than the 38 S&W brass. They would still work, but probably not worth the effort.

Comment

^ get the case trimmer - we'll risk splittin the brass for ya UGG
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

A spammer brings an old thread back to life!

Beautiful revolver. I love British firearms, they have a class and quality all their own.

I think I've shown my own English man-stopper before. Tiny, but packs a wallop, about .45 cal.

Attached Files

Comment

that tiny thing firing a .45 cal-- geezus, you'd have to be TOUCHING the person to be able to hit him!
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

They are sometimes called "muff pistols." An English Lady might carry a pair of them in her fur muff while strolling the Thames on a cold, foggy evening. The barrel unscrews for loading, and an oversized lead ball is placed in a chamber and the barrel screwed back on. Being oversized, you get perfect sealing of ball to bore, and they shoot very hard.

English pocket pistols is a collecting area that still has reasonable prices. These little pistols are not junk, they are beautifully made and engraved by the maker with a "stand of arms" and their name and address, almost always London. The folding trigger mechanism is ingenious and works very well.

I've never fired it, because I have already completely taken it apart and cleaned and oiled the interior components. One shot, I'd have to do it all over again. But I have zero doubt it'd fire safely.

Gunnut, do you still have the Webeley? Do you shoot it very often?

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                that tiny thing firing a .45 cal-- geezus, you'd have to be TOUCHING the person to be able to hit him!
                                I bet you could hit pretty good from 3-4 feet too. It would be pretty up close and personal though.;)
                                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                                X