Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow very cool!

Can you post some pictures?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

GN:

Yep. Me & photography don't converse much. My wife has a nice Sony digital SLR that's easy to use. What sort of background would you recommend? Especially for the nickel job. None of us have phones that will take pictures, or I'd just slap some to you & plead bad equipment for the ugly pictures.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
        GN:

Yep. Me & photography don't converse much. My wife has a nice Sony digital SLR that's easy to use. What sort of background would you recommend? Especially for the nickel job. None of us have phones that will take pictures, or I'd just slap some to you & plead bad equipment for the ugly pictures.

Prof
        I suppose any plain old back ground will work. I normally just put my pistols on a blue cloth (like the color of scrubs) for pictures. It's a very light color that doesn't distort anything.

Comment

Scrubs. OK. I certainly have plenty of them. I'll try that. Or dogs. Dogs. GOOD IDEA. Await dogs with guns.

Prof

Comment

OK. Camera looks easy. Await DOGS WITH GUNS tomorrow sometime. I'll try for AM. If not, then VD parade @ 11:30 w/ grandson (Lucas) in Cub Scout Troop marching. Can't miss that. Liz (daughter) just got married Saturday to her first Human Being (You wouldn't believe the last one) & has ridden the train down to The Easy for her first honeymoon, so Lucas Cooper/Seven/Harding needs some sort of Vet @ the finish line to watch him strut. Pictures afterward. Maybe I'll even include one of my elderly but comely self, all spiffy in respectful duds, & actually facing the camera. Shoot straight, & if you can't find Webleys find S&W hand ejectors, whatever that means.

The Prof from Hell, & Doc as well

Comment

GN:

Here they are. The dogs wouldn't sit still, probably gun control dogs. The gourds didn't seem to mind.

Prof
              Attached Files

Comment

Those are nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I usually prefer blue in a gun with some sort of applied finish, but couldn't resist the .45, especially when I found out that it was a .45 rather than a .455. Much slower bullet, as in the .38S&W, down in the <700fps range. Didn't realize that good .45acp shotshells were easily available, & that really boosts the versatility of the gun. I also didn't know that the frame was so much smaller than the frames on large caliber American guns, to the extent that the thing fits in a K-frame holster like it was made for it. When my old man gave me the S&W M-17 an old-fashioned Barney Fife type holster came with it. Soft black leather with basket-weave stamping. That Webley in that holster with a black basket-weave belt is something to behold, just on the tasteful side of garish. Used to carry it along on fossil hunting trips. Something about the combo muted the grumbling that gun-totin' always occasioned among those participants who were of the nervous persuasion. I suspect that English guns are like English accents, bring out the good side in Yanks of many political persuasions.

Prof

Comment

love that birdshead grip Webley. :)
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Thanks. Me, too. It's not as accurate as some revolvers, but, as before, it is a bowling ball launcher. It will certainly reorient a big snake & across a room or a card table it'll make a mess.

Prof

Comment

What do you guys think of this one?

Webley :: DSCF0008.jpg picture by s7800 - Photobucket

It's a Mk. IV in .38S&W. I noticed the grip is slightly different than others I've seen.

Is $225 a good price for this?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          What do you guys think of this one?

Webley :: DSCF0008.jpg picture by s7800 - Photobucket

It's a Mk. IV in .38S&W. I noticed the grip is slightly different than others I've seen.

Is $225 a good price for this?
                          GN:

I'd say get it now if if it doesn't have any mechanical problems like mine did & if the bore is half decent. They're just not making any more of them. This one appears to be exactly the same as mine, & the only thing different about the grip is that the the bottom of the palm heel curve is cut off by the photograph. The "wartime" finish (which is really just crummy polishing combined with some sort of black paint instead of blueing - no shit) looks a little better than mine, but not much. It's still a find.

Believe it or not, the place to start hunting for holsters is anything designed originally for the S&W or Colt "bankers' " .32s or the S&W Kit gun. I'd just never realized before how much smaller British military/police revolvers were than their Yank counterparts, caliber for caliber.

I went on & on about its lack of shotshell availability. Screw that. Replicas of everything cool are popping out all over. Pedersoli or somebody comes out with a Webley rep & your value triples instantly, plus somebody's gonna start expanding ammo versatility.

Good luck.

Prof

Comment

The seller sent me another picture.

I'll ask him about the mechanics and the bore. He said it was given to him long ago and he shot it once without any problems.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gunnut, if you don't buy that, send me the guy's addy, I will. :)
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                                Gunnut, if you don't buy that, send me the guy's addy, I will. :)
                                I guess I will have to buy this Webley now that I have TWO endorsements.:)

Comment

Working...
                                X