The U.S. vs. Buonaparte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. vs. Buonaparte

I have been reading "Six Frigates" by Ian Toll, an excellent, WAB-recommended book. I am somewhat familiar with the circumstances leading to the war of 1812 with Great Britain, as well as the Quasi-war with France, and the attacks on Tripoli by the infant U.S. Navy. One thing I was not aware of were the pernicious edicts by Boney that made U.S. merchant shipping as wary of France as they were of the Royal Navy around 1809 to 1811.

1n 1809, France viewed U.S. trade with suspicion, supposing it favored Great Britain, and supported their war effort. Napoleon issued the Rambouillet decree, authorizing siezure of U.S. merchant shipping in French controlled ports. From almost any point of view, this is more egregious that British searches for RN deserters, and there were thousands of them serving on U.S. ships.

If America had crafted a trade agreement with only Great Britain, and shut France out entirely, what would have been the result? My guess is that Great Britain's relationship with the U.S. would have altered tremendously. Trade between the U.S. and Great Britain would have expanded enormously, with much-needed raw materials, foodstuffs, and especially timber, flowing East, while the Royal Navy could have provided adequate protection for North Atlantic merchant shipping as well as hard currency and consumer goods to the U.S. More importantly, the feelings of mistrust and the general harassment would probably have ceased, averting the war of 1812.

In hindsight, we know that Napolean was defeated, but at the time, it would have been a gamble, with the possibility of Buonaparte astride Continental Europe, and both Great Britain and the U.S. partially strangled in terms of trade.

Thoughts? Why did the U.S. attempt an equal neutrality with both France and GB, and suffer the ire of both, rather than picking one or the other? Since the French fleet was bottled up at the time, and British cruisers regularly plied New England, the obvious choice would be to side with GB.

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    Thoughts? Why did the U.S. attempt an equal neutrality with both France and GB, and suffer the ire of both, rather than picking one or the other? Since the French fleet was bottled up at the time, and British cruisers regularly plied New England, the obvious choice would be to side with GB.
    The troubles were more than just maritime. A major bone with Britain was the Old Northwest with its illegal British forts and those forts arming of the Indians and paying for scalps. The British were also interfering with American access to the Grand Banks of Newfoundland which like the Old North West was a provision of the treaty that ended the war between the US and GB. Whole sale adoption of a pro-British stance would have likely meant the US would have faced a British bulge in to the American middle dividing Colonial America from the Louisiana Purchase and blocking off the valuable Great Lakes.

Comment

Its also my understanding, that at that time period we were still smart and followed Washington's advice of not allying with either side, and letting europe deal with itself.
      Grand Admiral Thrawn

Comment

Originally posted by reve893 View Post
        Its also my understanding, that at that time period we were still smart and followed Washington's advice of not allying with either side, and letting europe deal with itself.
        That may or may not have been good advice. It pissed the French off since they had allied with us and broke their economy to see us free, and then we renounced the alliance. it was also in lockstep with an ideology that saw America as an agrarian society of land owners who would import finished goods and thus evade a massive body politic of landless city dwellers. This crippled American industry until the war of 1812 drove home the point- that you either make it yourself or you risk doing without.

So America was left with no allies while being critically dependent on trade. The English could hunt us and France wouldn't care. France could ban our products and cause us massive economic problems. It was a presure vice and it hurt this country.

Comment

Working...
        X