Fish Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout

Broke into fishing on an old SouthBend automatic flyreel. Poppers for bass n' panfish. Went to college in Madison, Wisconsin and gained access to a bevy of tiny springcreeks chuck full of brookies and browns (a few rainbows). Fish them with 6' 1/2 ft. spinning rod and a tiny Mitchell 304 in harmony with the land as everybody else (Shamus included) were out on the lakes whackin' walleye, northern, and the odd muskie or two. The latter two, as you can see from Shamus' photo are essentially freshwater barracuda.

Moved west and got into flyfishing with a vengeance. I'm here to tell you that it WASN'T for the aesthetics of it all, i.e. the poetic artistry of long, looping casts. Nope. Caught more and bigger fish.

I've had the good fortune to fish the Deschutes (home river if a hundred miles counts), Owyhee in Oregon, Rocky Ford, the Big Wood and Spring creek in Washington, Silver Creek in Ketchum/Hailey/Sun Valley, Idaho, and the Madison, Big Horn, Yellowstone, Lamar, Gibbon, Snake, and three of the lovliest spring creeks God has designed in Paradise Valley, Montana. Also the San Juan in New Mexico and Lee's Ferry on the Colorado in Arizona. Oh! Hat Creek in N. California.

There's more but those are all notable and for real.

Coolest story was fishing Silver Creek with a buddy and a guy about 100 yards upstream hooks a small rainbow. Playing it, he suddenly starts screaming (poor form, btw) that he's got a big brown on that's attacked the lil' rainbow. Fights for a minute and loses the brown but has the rainbow still on and five yards from his net...

...when the brownie attacks again. It stays on the rainbow literally to the net before dropping the rainbow.

Ahhh, too late. Brownie lets go half out of the water but, alas, the net is under and this dude lands two on one fly at once. Awesome moment. 23", 51/2 lb. Brown. VERY nice.

Nothing larger in my world than a 25" rainbow on the Big Horn but a LOT of 16-22" fish. It's one of my few passions.
    Last edited by S2; 08 Jun 09,, 09:21.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Don, you may have opened a can of worms(no pun intended) since Tankie is a fisherman of note, and has not yet seen this thread, make haste and submit your posts as as soon as you can because when Tankie starts on about fishing...Well, he can send a glass eye to sleep.:))

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
        All right ladies and gentlemen,I'm a person who loves to hear big(or small) fish stories with all the details(what kind of gear,what bait,weather conditions,whether you had to put up with tankie peeing off the back of the boat and polluting the local fishery...etc.;)) and pictures to back up yer stories if ya have 'em.

Let's have 'em all...the good,the bad and the ugly........:))

I'll start it off......33 inch,24lb Northern Pike caught off the breakwall in Port Sanilac,MI(Lake Huron)while fishing for perch.8lb test on a light action 9ft steelhead rod with shiner minnows for bait.Didn't catch a single perch......wonder why???:)

Sheeshhhhh i use them for bait to catch reaaaaaaaaaallll pike

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Don, you may have opened a can of worms(no pun intended) since Tankie is a fisherman of note, and has not yet seen this thread, make haste and submit your posts as as soon as you can because when Tankie starts on about fishing...Well, he can send a glass eye to sleep.:))
          Good COD lookins , what you carping on about , i started this thread , me chubby minow,scule mate but alas my fishing DACE are numbered .

, now come down from yer perch and read all , before you become an old trout , you little ray,nbow of light .;)

hey which is the fastest fresh water fish , and the fastest sea fish

Fresh water is a motor pike and side carp , and the sea one is a kipper , flat out

Comment

I wanna catch this fish

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post

I wanna catch this fish
              Got one , and a lobster as well ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                Got one , and a lobster as well ;)

There's a great white shark one too

Comment

Originally posted by mobbme View Post

There's a great white shark one too

jeez , remember when they came along and every shop was selling them with a demo model , and all the brats would play them incessantly :(:))

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Does dynamite count?
                    Do tell sir, do tell...
                    Nulli Secundus
                    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      jeez , remember when they came along and every shop was selling them with a demo model , and all the brats would play them incessantly :(:))
                      Yeah, it was quite "the thing" back in 2000 and 2001.

I don't really post my fish stories on this, why? Because I suck at fishing and there ain't no lie to that. First time I went fishing we caught nothing, we had to eat store bought fish that night. I wanted the whole adventure of catching it then killing it and cleaning it and cooking it fresh, but noooo the fish had other ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.
                        And I do that deliberately.... oh well, everyone has their own tastes
                        Nulli Secundus
                        People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                          Yeah, it was quite "the thing" back in 2000 and 2001.
                          Because i used to do a lot of match fishing , my ex brother thought it would be fun to buy me one for xmas instead of a bottle , the ex,s kids played the sod all the time

Comment

Sad to admit but did some "fishing" with cherry bombs and half sticks when I was a much younger lad. Even "beamed up" a few bull frogs that were on the river banks. Nothing but footprints left in the mud afterwards.:))
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              Sad to admit but did some "fishing" with cherry bombs and half sticks when I was a much younger lad. Even "beamed up" a few bull frogs that were on the river banks. Nothing but footprints left in the mud afterwards.:))
                              I tried it with thunderflashes , never had much success tho , so the gentlemanly way was with the rod and line and a read of Izack Walton , i am the proud owner of 70 + dust catchers , but the memories are forever burned in this old mans mind , and the cash that came with the winning of them helped to get me in a state of euphoria

Comment

Weird...I'm about to head out to do some fishin' right now. Biggest fish I've ever caught- probably a baby hammerhead at Jekyll Island, Georgia. 'Bout 2.5, 3 feet long, maybe 5 lbs. Biggest keeper, 3 lb black drum maybe. Hooked a carp once that would've dwarfed anything else I've got, but I had about as much chance of landing a nuclear sub as I did landing him on ultralight tackle. Love fishing, but I'm not very good. Oh well. Time to catch some bluegill for supper.
                                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X