Musharraf's Comments & Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musharraf's Comments & Interviews

Musharraf seems to be getting recently more reported comments and interviews.

This may be a sign that the western media are getting more interested in what he has to say in view of the big problems Pakistan and the US are facing.

Taliban got free hand under ANP govt: Musharraf

17 May [Dawn] NEW YORK: Former president Pervez Musharraf has expressed the confidence that Pakistan army will prevail over the Taliban who have challenged the writ of the government, but said that ‘winning hearts and minds’ of people may be difficult.

Talking to some Pakistani reporters at a hotel here on Friday, Gen (retd) Musharraf rejected a suggestion that Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan had come to the fore during his watch.

‘This was the consequence of the Feb 18 election and the Taliban got strong then as they got a free hand under the new ANP government,’ he said. ‘In my time they were hiding,’ he claimed. However, he added, ‘I am convinced that our army will drive the enemies of the state away but we have to win the hearts and minds also.’ ....
    Last edited by Merlin; 18 May 09,, 04:23.

There was a lengthy interview by the Newsweek International editor on CNN.

Musharraf open to return to politics

* Former president blames Afghanistan for Pakistan’s problems
    * Says there is no support for Taliban in Pakistan Army

18 May [DailyTimes] WASHINGTON/LAHORE: Former president General (r) Pervez Musharraf has refused to rule out a return to public life saying he is ready to offer his services if his country remains “in trouble”.

In a CNN interview broadcast on Sunday, he said a ban on his participation in politics would expire in November ...

Musharraf said he was enjoying life speaking on the lecture circuit. “I wish the government well and that they must handle Pakistan and take it forward with peace and economic development. If that happens ... I would be the happiest person continuing whatever I’m doing,” he said.

“But if Pakistan is still in trouble, and if any Pakistani, including myself, if you see that we can do something for it ... well, my life is for Pakistan.” ...

Musharraf blamed Afghanistan as the source of Pakistan’s problems and renewed his feud with Afghan President Hamid Karzai accusing him of “double dealing”.

“We have suffered because of what is happening in Afghanistan. And we still continue to suffer because of that. ... ” he said, demanding an end to Western criticism of Pakistan’s army and powerful intelligence service. ...

According to a private TV channel, Musharraf said there was some anti-US sentiment in Pakistani public and possibly in Pakistan Army as well, but denied there was any support for the Taliban in the Pakistani military. “Intelligence is a complicated game,” he said, adding that the weakening of the army or the ISI would weaken the against the Taliban.

Comment

Working...
    X