No announcement yet.

Best Museum BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I toured the USS missouri last year and it was great experience, but we could'nt get access to below decks , like my old birthing quarters and anything below. That really sucked.

Still after almost 20 years since being on the ship, it was a very heartfelt tour for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chadbb63 View Post
      I toured the USS missouri last year and it was great experience, but we could'nt get access to below decks , like my old birthing quarters and anything below. That really sucked.

Still after almost 20 years since being on the ship, it was a very heartfelt tour for me.
      Where you onboard in '86 off the coast of Honduras during the little CapEx they put on?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
        Where you onboard in '86 off the coast of Honduras during the little CapEx they put on?

from 89-decommisioning 92, i was 14 in 86 haaa, I joined right at 17.
        What part of Missouri? I lived in Mt. Vernon for about a year, don't miss that place, except my father spent his last remaining years there.
        Last edited by chadbb63; 22 Jun 09,, 01:40.

Comment

Don't know about best. But I went here today:)
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Don't know about best. But I went here today:)
            Ah Touring the "Bama" are we?:)

Grape have they finished the hurrican damage to her airplanes on display?
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by chadbb63 View Post
              from 89-decommisioning 92, i was 14 in 86 haaa, I joined right at 17.
              What part of Missouri? I lived in Mt. Vernon for about a year, don't miss that place, except my father spent his last remaining years there.
              Joplin. Jus down the road from Mt. Vernon. Was your father in the soldiers home?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                Ah Touring the "Bama" are we?:)

Grape have they finished the hurrican damage to her airplanes on display?

No they haven't. Many of the damaged planes are piled up outside. The Kingfisher and Mustang are still on display, in their damaged state, inside the pavilion.

They are working on the outer hull of the Drum. The metal looks like swiss cheese. But the repairs look real good. She is in good shape on the inside. Really being taken care of.

The Bama need help. Some TLC from people that know what they are doing. It looks like the caretakers make an effort and I know its a big ship. I'm not wanting to knock their effort. They are overwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  No they haven't. Many of the damaged planes are piled up outside. The Kingfisher and Mustang are still on display, in their damaged state, inside the pavilion.

They are working on the outer hull of the Drum. The metal looks like swiss cheese. But the repairs look real good. She is in good shape on the inside. Really being taken care of.

The Bama need help. Some TLC from people that know what they are doing. It looks like the caretakers make an effort and I know its a big ship. I'm not wanting to knock their effort. They are overwhelmed.
                  *Dam, That sucks. They had one hell of a display before the storm. I see your point on being overwhelmed and know full well those circumstances. Hopefully hard work and dedication will prevail along with gracious benefactors. Cant imagine them being repaired anytime soon without gracious funding or perhaps insurance paying off for the damaged aircraft.

And judging by the above pic baby needs her bottom done, the black is all faded on the hull.

Comment

Sounds like the rent they charged for using the ship in "Under Siege" wasn't enough.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      Sounds like the rent they charged for using the ship in "Under Siege" wasn't enough.
                      Yeah. Thats a question we are constantly asked...where did the big fight scene between Steven Segal and Tommy Lee Jones take place aboard and I tell them about 6 states due south of here on the USS Alabama. You can tell it wasnt an Iowa Class (as in Missouri) as soon as you walk into the CEC.;)

Comment

Are my eyes getting old or does the Alabama have a list to her Port side?
                        Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                          She took on a good amount of water. There are many pictures showing quite a list after the storm. I dont know about present day, perhaps Grape can tell since he was just there.

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                            I was going to ask the same thing. She does appear to be listing a bit. You can find pictures of her after Katrina and I think she was listing a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              Yeah. Thats a question we are constantly asked...where did the big fight scene between Steven Segal and Tommy Lee Jones take place aboard and I tell them about 6 states due south of here on the USS Alabama. You can tell it wasnt an Iowa Class (as in Missouri) as soon as you walk into the CEC.;)
                              I knew it wasn't Mo when I saw the first TV comercials on it showing Segal rapelling down a rope off the stern. Though it said MISSOURI, it didn't have the Nixie transom openings.

Then the phoney Tomahawks were pointing in the wrong direction as well as not being in their AUR cannisters. Sometimes you could see one of the 40mm gun mounts.

But I LOVED that scene where Jones is curious about seeing the turret trained outboard and when it fires he grabs his ears and rolls around on the deck in pain.

On Missouri's gunnery trials, the Captain insisted everyone on the outside wear double ear protection. Ear plugs PLUS ear muffs. I only needed the ear muffs. As for plugs I merely turned off my hearing aids.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Anyone know why Big Mo got put in Hawaii and all the other states seem to have gotten thier BB Namesakes? How cool would it have been to have her sitting out front of the arch?

Comment

Working...
                                X