Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fidel Castro rips President Obama ‘superficiality,’ says he ‘misinterpreted Raul’s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Of course it is. It says he is right. We were wrong.
    I'm not sure it does. Not in the terms of Obamas Inaugeration Speech. All it says is 'we're trying something different, but if you mess with us you'll be sorry'.

In terms of Latin America, it was also necessary.

But you've got me thinking, I can't think of any example where changing from a dictatorship to democracy, has ever been caused by relaxing sanctions, SO I tend to agree with you there...

But seriously.. who gives a damn about Cuba. It probably costs more to the U.S economy to keep a closed border to it than an open one. Administering all those rules & regulations.. I dare say the best part of 200 million Statesiders when they think of Cuba they think of some Missile Crisis in the 60's...
    Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
      I'm not sure it does. Not in the terms of Obamas Inaugeration Speech. All it says is 'we're trying something different, but if you mess with us you'll be sorry'.

But you've got me thinking, I can't think of any example where changing from a dictatorship to democracy, has ever been caused by relaxing sanctions, SO I tend to agree with you there...

But seriously.. who gives a damn about Cuba. It probably costs more to the U.S economy to keep a closed border to it than an open one. Administering all those rules & regulations.. I dare say the best part of 200 million Statesiders when they think of Cuba they think of some Missile Crisis in the 60's...
      Recently because of all the waterboarding discussions, I would say they think of Gitmo.

I agree with OOE though. The sanctions with Cuba were kept in place after the fall of the Soviets in large part due to the sizeable cuban voting bloc in Florida. I do think its becoming less of an issue though as the younger Cubans in Florida don't seem to care as much about Castro.
      Last edited by Johnny W; 30 Apr 09,, 19:19.

Comment

What does Obama means by "sorry?" As being said, Casto ain't no Deng and Deng got something to offer - 45 Soviet Divisions, 200 nuclear warheads, 1200 planes, and 2000 tanks. In short, DXP offered realpolitik. Castro demands you satisfy his ego.

I argue the other way. Whenever the Americans show resolve, Latin and South America backs down ... and fast. The last example was the Falklands War.

Romainia?

But seriously.. who gives a damn about Cuba.
        The Cuban-Americans.

It probably costs more to the U.S economy to keep a closed border to it than an open one. Administering all those rules & regulations.. I dare say the best part of 200 million Statesiders when they think of Cuba they think of some Missile Crisis in the 60's...
        But it's a cause the US could well afford. Let's face it. If the US can cut off Canada with a $billion per day trade, Cuba is didly squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          What does Obama means by "sorry?" As being said, Casto ain't no Deng and Deng got something to offer - 45 Soviet Divisions, 200 nuclear warheads, 1200 planes, and 2000 tanks. In short, DXP offered realpolitik. Castro demands you satisfy his ego.
          Yeah, but does one persons ego really matter, it's some old guy on his death bed. What Big Fella said does say something. Whatever might have been done by Obama thus far is largely symbolic, but the perception effect is rather the same. Who cares if he turns around and says 'I demand you bend over backwards for us now'. Because for the exact same reason as you mentioned further below. The U.S Can afford to do nothing, it doesn't depend on Cuba on bit.

I argue the other way. Whenever the Americans show resolve, Latin and South America backs down ... and fast. The last example was the Falklands War.
          I don't think I am arguing. I think the U.S has placated (sp?) South/Latin America on the 'so something front'. I know precious little about U.S south/Latin American Relations or history for that matter.
          Romainia?
          Have no Idea, Romania isn't exactly high on the international profile list.
          The Cuban-Americans.
          Not that many of them in the scheme of things. But I wasn't really aiming my question like that, do Statesiders really care about Fidels self image?
          But it's a cause the US could well afford. Let's face it. If the US can cut off Canada with a $billion per day trade, Cuba is didly squat.
          Yeah, thats true... but whats the point, it almost seems vindictive.

I just think that the appropriate amount has been done at this stage... thats all. I don't think the advances made were a mistake... If Fidel rolled over and died in the Next 2 years, Obama's steps really amounted to not much at all, certainly not much to crow about. But enough for the old geezer and his ego to assess that he really got nothing...
          Last edited by Chunder; 03 May 09,, 15:22.
          Ego Numquam

Comment

Talking to someone is NOT appeasement. We all talk here, is it all just appeasement, I think some people here are idiots, but I still try to talk to them with respect.

There are things so far I do not like about Obama's foreign policy, and I will give him some more time. However talking to people is not something I have a problem with, actually not trying to communicate with foreign leaders is stupid.

Comment

Fidel never communicates. He lectures. What? I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
              X