Are there any chances of India receiving the USS Kitty Hawk Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any chances of India receiving the USS Kitty Hawk Carrier

I just wanted to know if U.S.A has proposed to sell its aircraft carrier USS kitty hawk to India once its decommissioned.

Since the Gorshov deal is still undecided, there might be chances that India might prefer to go ahead with the USS Kitty Hawk and dump the Gorshov. Also I believe the USS Kitty hawk is bigger in size and can carry a good number of fighters as well.

Any thoughts??

I highly doubt it. Too many reasons for India not to purchase the Kitty Hawk
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah if India had the desire or wherewithall to get this done it would be done with the Big John instead of the kittyhawk. JFK has allready been decomissioned and is in better shape overall than kittyhawk though either would need an extenive and expensive refit to be operational. I am also pretty sure that congress rejected the idea once allready for kittyhawk as well. Though with the way congress needs cash at the moment if you wave big enough dollar signs in their face and promise that our shipyards get paid and the jobs to do the overhual they might go for it.

Comment

Found this e-article a while back while looking for something else; it's over a year old, but it may still be relevant:

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/ind...rrier_dynamics
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I dont think that fits in with what the Indian Navy was/is looking for, rest does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
            Yeah if India had the desire or wherewithall to get this done it would be done with the Big John instead of the kittyhawk. JFK has allready been decomissioned and is in better shape overall than kittyhawk though either would need an extenive and expensive refit to be operational. I am also pretty sure that congress rejected the idea once allready for kittyhawk as well. Though with the way congress needs cash at the moment if you wave big enough dollar signs in their face and promise that our shipyards get paid and the jobs to do the overhual they might go for it.

No way. JFK was a wreck. Her time as a Reserve Carrier destroyed her. She was the most expensive carrier to operate and they canceled her 15 month overhaul to decom her.

The Shitty Kitty was a working carrier. Kept in top working condition as the forward deployed Carrier for the Navy. She underwent a 6 month refit in 2007.

Comment

*They're not going to sell a capital ship to a foreign nation. If we did (and this is in no offense to India ofcoarse) then we would be just as bad as the missle whores in the russian blackmarket and the nuclear technology that the idiot AK Khan sold. It would further escalate tensions.;)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                *They're not going to sell a capital ship to a foreign nation. If we did (and this is in no offense to India ofcoarse) then we would be just as bad as the missle whores in the russian blackmarket and the nuclear technology that the idiot AK Khan sold. It would further escalate tensions.;)
                Obama is a money-wise man... so are the deomcrats.. America needs all the money she can get if it needs to finance its future defence projects at this stage. India is one country that assuredly won't be hostile to Us interests in the near future. If US wants to take a major step in snapping india's defence ties with Russia, then the Kitty hawk would be a giant stride towards it.

Comment

It doesn't make sense from India's perspective. How much hull life does the Kitty have left? How much does it cost to refurb her to working condition? How much is the annual operating cost?

It's better to buy a new carrier from UK and use it for 50 years than to buy a 50-year old carrier from the US and use it for 10 years.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    It's better to buy a new carrier from UK and use it for 50 years than to buy a 50-year old carrier from the US and use it for 10 years.
                    This I fully agree with, and for the money they are paying for the Gorshov you could get almost get a brand spanking new CVF and I think we all know which vessel they'd rather have.

Comment

Buying a new carrier would make more sense but saying the Us won't sell a capitol ship is BS they've done it before and if the money is right would do so again.

Comment

Buying a new carrier would make more sense but saying the Us won't sell a capitol ship is BS they've done it before and if the money is right would do so again.
                        Examples? I know we sold off a good number of WWII-era destroyers and some light cruisers, but I'm not aware of any BBs or CVs we ever sold, at least post war...

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
                          Examples? I know we sold off a good number of WWII-era destroyers and some light cruisers, but I'm not aware of any BBs or CVs we ever sold, at least post war...
                          You are correct.

Post WWII transfers, BB, CV or CA: none.

The largest warship transfers after 1945 were a trio of CVL's and some CL's.
                          Pre WWII, probably the largest was the predreadnoughts Mississippi and Idaho, to Greece.

Having said that, there is of course the sale of USS Trenton, which at nearly 16,900 tons full displacement, is larger than the 11,000 ton CVL's.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

India buying the Kitty Hawk is highly doubtful also US wont sell it, as it is said that operating such A/C is the art only known to the USN, India would need years to master that art and by the time India may have its own carrier fleet of about 60000 ton as rumor are around. Buying the Gorshkov is only meant to cover the gap of INS Viraat retiring and new A/Cs being procured that would probable be locally manufactured also Kitty Hawk must be very costly in price and maintenance which would effect India's plan to locally manufacture A/cs or other wise its fleet composition.

Moreover IMO US selling a capital ship to a foreign nation as Dreadnought said is highly doubtful and may not go in favor of US naval diplomacy.

Comment

Is India willing to take on logistic nightmare of 3 different obsolete carrier classes (British Centaur with harriers, Russian Gorshkov with Mig-29 and US kitty hawk with F-18s) which were not good enough for their home navies? Not to mention the fact that they have nothing in common.

Their indigenous carriers are again a different kettle of fish

Comment

Working...
                              X