X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forecasters: Economic Recovery in Q3 2009

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/02/...ery-in-q3.html
    Forecasters: Economic Recovery in Q3 2009

The U.S. economy is headed for two quarters of negative growth in the first half of 2009, according to 43 forecasters surveyed by the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. The forecasters project that real GDP will contract at an annual rate of 5.2% in the first quarter and 1.8% in the second quarter of 2009. The survey participants expect economic recovery to begin in the third quarter of 2009. On a year-over-year basis, growth is expected to be -2.0% in 2009 and 2.2% in 2010.
    http://www.philadelphiafed.org/resea...9/survq109.cfm
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Does that mean I should start buying some stocks sometimes this quarter?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I read also the Fed predicted unemployment to go up to 8 or 8.5% then start leveling off. That is to say the forecasters don't anticipate double-digit unemployment. We will see if they are right. If accurate how much effect did or will the bailout(s)/Stimulus packages have, or is this just a natural market correction?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        If you have money to throw away sure go for it,things are going to get much worse before better.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Yep. Buy low. I'll bet Warren Buffet is having fun right now.
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
            I read also the Fed predicted unemployment to go up to 8 or 8.5% then start leveling off. That is to say the forecasters don't anticipate double-digit unemployment. We will see if they are right. If accurate how much effect did or will the bailout(s)/Stimulus packages have, or is this just a natural market correction?
            I haven't had a chance to read over the actual stipulations in the stimulus, but given that we're talking another $50 billion for housing, there's a potential that the stimulus and foreclosure forestalling bill could simply prolong things. If private investment is unsure about extensive government intervention, then they'll simply sit on the sidelines until they're sure that government intervention is complete and won't sneak in and kill their expected returns.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
              I remember his interview not long ago when he said:

"Be fearful when everyone is greedy. Be greedy when everyone is fearful. Right now I am greedy."
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                Indeed,

WB has been loading Goldman Sachs and General Electric late last year into his holdings. So, there he puts money where his mouth is. But that being said, he does have a contradictory way of doing things from time to time ...

For example, from one side, he has been an staunch opponant of financial derivatives (options, futures etc.) from the other side, his holding company was selling S&P500 put options en masse outside the market.

Wieeeeeeeeeerd

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                  Indeed,

WB has been loading Goldman Sachs and General Electric late last year into his holdings. So, there he puts money where his mouth is. But that being said, he does have a contradictory way of doing things from time to time ...

For example, from one side, he has been an staunch opponant of financial derivatives (options, futures etc.) from the other side, his holding company was selling S&P500 put options en masse outside the market.

Wieeeeeeeeeerd
                  You can make money from things that you think are essentially harmful to the economy. If I end up getting money from this stimulus I won't refuse it just because I think the stimulus is a terrible boondoggle.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X