Classic Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Cars

Does anyone know anything about classic cars?

I'm look at a slightly beat up 1965 four-door Chevrolet Impala. It's a 283. I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it, tune up, replace the exhaust manifold, quite a bit of rust damage, new paint, new headliner, new side mirror...

Anyone know prices, sources for cheap parts and general tips for owning a classic car?

Almost 45 years old $$$$ me thinks. Good luck on that one JtG;)

Comment

contact some owners club, i think that is the best way to get knowledge on your questions. And good luck and patience!
      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post

I'm look at a slightly beat up 1965 four-door Chevrolet Impala. It's a 283. I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it, tune up, replace the exhaust manifold, quite a bit of rust damage, new paint, new headliner, new side mirror...

Anyone know prices, sources for cheap parts and general tips for owning a classic car?
        *Why a four door? Personally a two door covertible or hartop is worth alot more. Sound like that car belongs in Cuba. You see many pristine older four doors in Cuba.

There are many palces on the net for your information. Goggle "Year One" they are one of the best supply houses for restoration.

A link to your years catalog. http://www.yearone.com/pco/9_0907/t1.asp
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Okay, it doesn't look like I will be buying the Impala. The guy who I was going to purchase it from is being an a$shole and doesn't want to go down in price (the car is really not worth what he wants for it). I talked with my father's friend who is in a classic car club and he told me a price to offer ($1500) and stick to that, but the guy wouldn't budge from $2200. I would have to put at least $1200 just to get it running and not looking like crap, so $2200 is out of the question. It looks like he's going to scrap it.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post

If they haven't been replaced, you will definitely need new motor mounts.

Gasoline is going to be a real problem. A 1965 engine will not run well on unleaded.

A four-door Impala is nothing special. I agree that you ought to look for a two-door, or a convertible.

Comment

Probably unibody construction so a lot of cutting and replacing metal, whether large pieces or full body panels. Better have access to sheet metal tools and a nice mig welder. As for the engine, it's probably done, but you can buy a "Target" engine (305 cu in) from Chevrolet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                Probably unibody construction so a lot of cutting and replacing metal, whether large pieces or full body panels. Better have access to sheet metal tools and a nice mig welder. As for the engine, it's probably done, but you can buy a "Target" engine (305 cu in) from Chevrolet.
                No, that age and model is body-on-frame construction.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
                  No, that age and model is body-on-frame construction.
                  http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...ntID=&i=2#menu

Steel Unibody

Comment

65 Impala definitely has a steel frame. It was shared with the Biscayne and Caprice. Same frame on all 3 models.
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

dude you have no idea what you getting yourself into, restoring classic car cost lots of $$$$, i mean restoring it, not just making it run, you need fully equiped garage, paint booth...ect. a friend of mine bought 2 classics and brought them to the shop for full body off frame restoration, so far he spend like 30g, yet neither of the cars is in 1 piece and running, and he started 3 years ago.
                      unless you got means and time or lots of $$$ , don,t open pandora's box.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                        65 Impala definitely has a steel frame. It was shared with the Biscayne and Caprice. Same frame on all 3 models.
                        Thanks for the confirmation.

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                        '60s Impalas were popular when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I worked on several, and I remembered them as having frames. But, in case my memory was faulty, I emailed a buddy from high school who had one. Here is his response:

"Standard body and frame, and like all cars of that era, not a hint of rustproofing. Rambler-American played around with unibody construction in the early 60's before they went away. I don't know of anyone else who did....except maybe the amphicar."

Comment

The term "unibody" isn't really very descriptive, it basically means a welded body, which that era of Chevys had. Pull the front clip, and the rest of the body comes off the chassis in one piece.

But it doesn't mean no frame at all, Mustangs and Camaros were also called unibody, but they had the sub-frame, sort of a 1/2 frame.
                          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I used to drive an Impala, big old boat. Don't recall much except that it was blue and it dented easily.
                            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                              I used to drive an Impala, big old boat. Don't recall much except that it was blue and it dented easily.
                              I've had a couple. One was formerly owned by a local judge. That one was great for guardrail rides.

Comment

Working...
                              X