Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Class & Midway Class - Same Powerplant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Class & Midway Class - Same Powerplant?

I was browsing wikipedia tonight and noticed that they quote the Midway class carriers as having 212,000 hp engines, exactly the same figure as the Iowas. Did the Midways and Iowas share the same powerplant? It would make sense I guess seeing as they are both approximately the same displacement.

Did any other ship classes share the same engines with the Iowas? Were the Montanas going to share the same powerplant as well? Also, I dont remember what their names were, but I believe there were two ships that each got half the powerplant of one of the uncompleted Iowas?

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
    I was browsing wikipedia tonight and noticed that they quote the Midway class carriers as having 212,000 hp engines, exactly the same figure as the Iowas. Did the Midways and Iowas share the same powerplant?
    I believe that's correct.

Also, I dont remember what their names were, but I believe there were two ships that each got half the powerplant of one of the uncompleted Iowas?
    That is definitely correct.

The first two Sacramento-class fast combat support ships (Sacramento and Camden) each received half of USS Kentucky's power plant, giving them a top speed of 25 knots.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It would definatly seem expedient to use the same type of powerplant as the Iowas.
      Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Welllll, when we replaced the propellers on the Missouri, one of them was stamped Essex class.

Take your pick.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Are screws really machinery specific?
          Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

I was browsing wikipedia tonight and noticed that they quote the Midway class carriers as having 212,000 hp engines, exactly the same figure as the Iowas. Did the Midways and Iowas share the same powerplant? It would make sense I guess seeing as they are both approximately the same displacement.
            Let's see...... Iowa Class, 8 boilers and 4 main engines.

Midway Class, 12 boilers and 4 main engines

Comment

thought Essex class were sub 30,000 ton hulls right around there empty depending on variant and construction while Iowas were 45,000 tons empty.

Armour to stop 15 inch shells isn't light.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                thought Essex class were sub 30,000 ton hulls right around there empty depending on variant and construction while Iowas were 45,000 tons empty.

Armour to stop 15 inch shells isn't light.
                Well, when we were first assigned the New Jersey in 1968 and again in 1981 BUSHIPS/NAVSEA reiterated the "fact" that the Battleship basic hull design and propulsion arrangement was based on the Essex class. I emphasize based because they are not exact copies in either dimensions or pump locations. But the porportions and arrangements (excluding the South Dakotas with the stacked boilers) are close enough to be considered second cousins if not kissing cousins.

Also, don't forget all their keels were laid (with the exception of the Alabama) BEFORE WW II and the Midway didn't come into being until well AFTER the Battle of Midway.

Therefore it may be more likely to compare that the Midway was based upon the Iowa (that was based upon a lengthened Essex).
                Last edited by RustyBattleship; 03 Jan 09,, 02:30.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

"Broadway" Deck 3. As you can see contrary to numerous articles, comments and books she is in VERY good shape.
                  Attached Files
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The overhead I beam and transition of the I beams.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Passageway to Broadway.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Engineering scuttles on Broadway. These would be used to escape the Engineering spaces in case of emergency after scaling an enclosed verticle ladder. Note how slim these scuttles are for broad shouldered men. PS sorry about the foot.:))
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          "Broadway" Deck 3. As you can see contrary to numerous articles, comments and books she is in VERY good shape.
                          She looked great when we were there early 2008 :)
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

which Iowa are these pics from?

Comment

which Iowa are these pics from?
                              USS New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                              X