What kind of rifle is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of rifle is this?

Hey guys, ready for another one of my ID questions? :)

http://libweb.hawaii.edu/libdept/arc...s/SC126861.jpg

Can someone help me identify this rifle? Springfield M1903? I know a lot of training units used it during WW2, and this is definitely a soldier of US 442nd Regimental Combat Team training at the 442nd Reception Center in Hawaii.
    Pete

The m1 garand?

Comment

Originally posted by firestar View Post
      The m1 garand?
      Not sure if that's it. The wood part in the center of the rifle looks different from that of a M1 Garand.
      Pete

Comment

Springfield. Isn't that a prewar dungaree uniform?
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield_rifle

Comment

It's not an Enfield,I have the version produced at Eddystone.Looks like a Springfield,Pete:).
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
              It's not an Enfield,I have the version produced at Eddystone.Looks like a Springfield,Pete:).
              Certainly looks like an enfield Don .

Comment

M1903A1 Springfield.
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  Certainly looks like an enfield Don .
                  Sorry Eric,I should have been more specific.I have a Pattern14 American Enfield manufactured at the Eddystone factory.My rifle isn't the same as the one in Pete's picture;).
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                    Sorry Eric,I should have been more specific.I have a Pattern14 American Enfield manufactured at the Eddystone factory.My rifle isn't the same as the one in Pete's picture;).
                    No probs mate ,but the one in the pic looks like the E 1917 ,anyway i dont care ,, Ooe , Nuts ,Wayne ,, whose round is it .

Comment

Hmm seems like a toss-up between the M1903 Springfield and the M1917 Enfield...
                      Pete

Comment

Here are pictures of both.Look closely at the rear sight of the Enfield,it has protective metal ears on either side,the Springfield does not.I'm pretty sure your picture is of a Springfield:).
                        Attached Files

Comment

It's a Springfield.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I know that the M1917 was issued to alot of the State/Territorial Defense Forces during WWII but did it see any frontline combat use during WWII?

The 442nd RCT was not created until 1943, that guy in the picture is most likely a member of the Hawaii Territorial Guard in late 1941/early 1942.
                            Last edited by ChrisF202; 31 Dec 08,, 14:32.

Comment

Before the 442nd was the "One-Puka-Puka". The 100th Inf. Bn. was created in early June 1942, consisiting of Nisei from the Hawaii National Guard.

Pre-Pearl Harbor was the Hawaii National Guard's 298th and 299th Infantry Regiments.

The rifle is a Springfield and I bet the dungaree shirt is the smallest there was too, notice the rolled up sleeve cuff. :P
                              AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

Working...
                              X