An Election Day Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Election Day Thank You

The past 12 months have been a fascinating time for all of us. US Elections are always of interest, but this one has been especially fascinating. It has been made much more enjoyable to me personally by my participation on WAB and by the contributions of some of the posters here.

As a left winger on a majority conservative board I felt that not only was I being informed, but that if I put in the effort to post something of quality that it would be appreciated. Such diversity is the exception on so many websites, not the rule.

I have wandered on to a variety of websites during the Election. Many provided interesting & informative articles & polls, but none had noticeboards as well informed or engaging as WAB. So, I would like to issue some public thanks. I hope others will join with me.

It may seem like sucking up, but I would like to thank the Moderators. Not only did they make sure that passions never got out of hand, they also kept the board relatively clean of the sort of gutter level rumour & propaganda that passed for normal on other boards. Special thanks to Matt for his polls (most of which were successful:)) - dude, you must have known where that media bias thread would go).

There were some posters who also impressed & informed (apologies if I miss anyone). Astralis, Herodotus & Tim52 ran against the conservative tide, Antimony, Donnie, Osage18 & 7thsniper spoke with passion for Republicans struggling as much with their own party as with the Democrats. When he could Ironduke took time off from campaigning to contribute. The Brigadier, of course, played his role as WAB's resident gadfly perfectly

The figure who towered over all for me, however, was JAD 333. While his committment to McCain was clear, time after time he put aside partisan politics to inform, debate and explain. He reached out to people all over the political spectrum & presented all of us with a working example of what wisdom looks like. Parihaka suggested at one point that was considereing preserving some of JAD's posts as a record of the election - I second that.

I want to leave you with JAD's post on today's post election thread. Gracious to the last. Thank you JAD, you have made this election very special for me, and I suspect for many others.

Remarkable journey for Obama. I congratulate him. There's a silver lining. My country achieved a milestone in racial relations. I am proud of that. When a country with only a 12% black population can elect a black, it's a sign that issues finally matter more than race. And there's a message in it for the world: democracy rocks.

Now we have a few problems to solve. Let's get on with it. I'm glad he didn't get a filibuster proof Senate. That will help tone down his social agenda.

Congratulations to all you Obama supporters. It was a good debate for the most part. Watch out in 2012.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Originally posted by Bigfella
    It may seem like sucking up, but I would like to thank the Moderators. Not only did they make sure that passions never got out of hand, they also kept the board relatively clean of the sort of gutter level rumour & propaganda that passed for normal on other boards.
    Our primary goal on this website is maintaining and increasing the quality of discussion. I've visited on all of the forums that are in the first page of Google results for "political forum" or "politics forum", seemed to me to be almost pure trolling. Though we can never be perfect, quality of discussion is something we continually strive for.
    Special thanks to Matt for his polls (most of which were successful:)) - dude, you must have known where that media bias thread would go).
    I did the map too. Spent the whole damn night working on it. It was actually quite time-consuming. Herodotus as my witness, I ran ahead of all the news channels the entire night in calling states. :)
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ironduke
      Our primary goal on this website is maintaining and increasing the quality of discussion. I've visited on all of the forums that are in the first page of Google results for "political forum" or "politics forum", seemed to me to be almost pure trolling. Though we can never be perfect, quality of discussion is something we continually strive for.
      Mission accomplished in that case. As someone else once pointed out - WAB is truly one of the gems of the internet.

I did the map too. Spent the whole damn night working on it. It was actually quite time-consuming. Herodotus as my witness, I ran ahead of all the news channels the entire night in calling states. :)
      Damn, that IS committment. Thanks again.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

very good coverage on this site and I've enjoyed all of the discussion
        Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

Well Done Ironduke, marathon effort
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Well done Ironduke, a marvelous effort when I saw the map, I thought to myself bloody amazing, a stellar effort and dedication.
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Nice job my friend. My jaw literally dropped open when I first clicked on the WAB. Pretty sure you were the first to call the election :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                The figure who towered over all for me, however, was JAD 333. While his commitment to McCain was clear, time after time he put aside partisan politics to inform, debate and explain. He reached out to people all over the political spectrum & presented all of us with a working example of what wisdom looks like. Parihaka suggested at one point that was considering preserving some of JAD's posts as a record of the election - I second that.
                I concur. Even though JAD and I may have supported different candidates in the run up to the election, I always appreciated his well reasoned and thoughtful posts on the subject.

I would also say that my participation on WAB has been a thoroughly enjoyable and educational experience in that it has made me examine and question my own position on any number of subjects whether political, financial or social based on the postings of the good people that make up this community. So thank you one and all. :)
                Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

You did a great job Ironduke. And a big thanks to all the mods for keeping the political discussions as calm as possible. Politics can really get out of hand, but you all did a great job! :)
                  “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                  "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                  sigpic

Comment

I think we should re-iterate Bigfella's point about JAD. Very informative, very balanced, definitely top-class contributions to the forum. He had a strong moderating influence on the discourse here with his words.
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Thanks to all who kept this discussion civilized for the months before the election and Ironduke for getting the election map up. Kudos to you all for a job well done.

Comment

Working...
                      X