Flying characteristics of WW2 fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying characteristics of WW2 fighters

i just started to play IL2 Sturmovik ww2 flight sim series.

it seems very realistic and accurate http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php

after trying almost all the aircraft it was a surprise for me to discover that the La-5 or La-7 series are much more "user friendly" and "easy to operate" than the P-51's or Hellcats...

i mean it was very easy to enter stalls or vrils with P-51's or P-47's than the La series or Yak series...

Spits are always easy to fly but average performance, Hurricane's visibility is excellent but too low on ammo and etc....

BF109 series seems to me a blend of all but not best in any area...

ok i am just a newbee but my question is:

is there a "best" aircraft for that era? what describes "the best"?

and which flying characteristics must be selected? must we sacrifice maneuvrability to the speed? or firepower to the visibility? because i discovered that we can not hit an enemy if we can not aim even we have 8 .50 calibers.

what do you prefer? and what are the musts of a ww2 fighter airplane. what is the blend that can considered as the best.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

"Spits are always easy to fly but average performance,"

Oh yes???

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
        "Spits are always easy to fly but average performance,"

Oh yes???
        Methinks they haven't done the flight characteristics of the Spitfire justice in the game then;).
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Spit's performance depend too much on which version you fly with...

MkIX is good but early versions are only good on turning battles and slow airspeeds.

if you dive your "powerful" Merlin can stop due to his carburetors!!!...

no alternative radiator positions available(when engine overheats it became vital), no multiple flap positions(no need), poor visibility and the shape of canopy causes the shining of the sunlight too much, easy to fly but flight controls are a bit spongy, i mean not lively responding like a A6M or a Hurricane...

Spits are only average performers to me but very beautiful :)
          Last edited by Big K; 24 Oct 08,, 01:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
            Methinks they haven't done the flight characteristics of the Spitfire justice in the game then;).
            i dont think so cause this is one of the best ww2 flight sim in the world.

i did not say Spits are bad but not the best not the worst...only average...

Comment

Interesting picture of those two 109 Schmitts. One with German markings of the Maltese Cross on wings and fuselage with the canted Swastika on the rudder. The other with uncanted Finnish Swastikas.

If the Swastikas were red, it would belong to the American 45th Infantry Division made up mostly of Southwest Native Americans.

Sorry, just too darn sore and tired from moving heavy machinery the past couple of days and I want to sound a little nasty somewhere, but with a smile.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
                i dont think so cause this is one of the best ww2 flight sim in the world.

i did not say Spits are bad but not the best not the worst...only average...
                Like others said: which Spit? The game is closely tailored to the Eastern Front, from a russian point of vieq. Afaik, the only Spit the USSR got was the Vb, and was in service for only 3 months in 43. Combine low experience with the fact that it was not an outstanding mark, specially considering the Fw 190 then flying around...

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Interesting picture of those two 109 Schmitts. One with German markings of the Maltese Cross on wings and fuselage with the canted Swastika on the rudder. The other with uncanted Finnish Swastikas.

If the Swastikas were red, it would belong to the American 45th Infantry Division made up mostly of Southwest Native Americans.

Sorry, just too darn sore and tired from moving heavy machinery the past couple of days and I want to sound a little nasty somewhere, but with a smile.
                  this is a feature of the game server.

you can choose whatever you want as a pilot. all the aircraft, all the color schemes, all the insignias, armament etc...

when i prefer Spits i take a completely white one with the IJN insignias

but some servers are making us playing historically accurate battles such as Midway or Battle of Britain or countless other missions.

sir, i would aid if i were there :)

Comment

Working...
                  X