One big reason why I became a Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One big reason why I became a Republican

I was hush about the US elections until a few weeks ago. I recalled a time when Bush spoke about never negotiating with terrorists, and how we should deal with them. He said you are either with us, or against us. Those words really stuck to me. I don't know how it is to the rest of the world, but 9/11 had a real big impact on me. I grew up not knowing anything about terrorists and/or how bad they could be. A Russian once told me that the worst types of terrorists were those dham Chechnians. After 9/11, I want to meet that same Russian guy and ask him once more, which are the worst kind of Terrorists? I still haven't met that fellow, but long for the day till I do.

Before I knew all the dangers and the threat of terrorists, I did not know much about our army and our allies, didn't think twice about em to be honest. I tried to enroll in highschool ONLY for the physical aspect of the training, so i'd become a mean walking machine (was already a tough guy), after 9/11 it became clear that joining the army was not only for personal enjoyment or personal goals. I became awe'd by our troops, gained ALOT of respect for our men and women serving for our countries. Opened up my eyes to the real world.

Fast forward to the present, and a few weeks ago I heard Obama say he'd sit down and talk with the likes of A-Jad and Chavez WITHOUT conditions. The first thought that came to me was, isn't A-Jad supplying the Shi'ite terrorists in Iraq that are bombing our troops? Isn't Chavez always speaking threats about the U.S -our brothers and sisters?

Then there was a terrorist scum named Ayers, who Obama has factual ties with. He tried to deny the allegations, but it was pretty clear Obama and Ayers were associated. Obama visited one of Ayer's "get togethers" and Ayer's most recently donated money to Obama's campaign.

To have a president of that nature run the mighty great country of the US is scary as hell. It goes against every principal that was taught to us. I am a Canadian that sees the US as no different from us. It scares and worries me. I hope Obama does not win, because I don't want the millions of people that are just like me, lose hope and faith. We need recruits, and soldiers are our backbone, but with Obama there will be no reason to join.

That was a big enough reason for me, to become a Republican.

Here's a question: If talking without preconditions means tensions will drop and pacification is reached, is it worth it?

You stretch the definition of terrorist quite a bit. From a latin-american president to an American elementary education theorist to Islamist extremists.
    Last edited by JamesCash; 23 Oct 08,, 11:06.
    Knowledge is annoying
    -K. Pilkington

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCash View Post
      Except for the taliban, they were with the US against the Russians, now they are against the US in Afghanistan.
      I'm speaking post 9/11 James. But to answer your question, commies were the biggest threat to us back then.

Here's a question: If talking without preconditions means tensions will drop and pacification is reached, is it worth it?
      Whats your position?

Do you agree to have discussions WITHOUT preconditions?

What if there are precondition talks, and there is no ease of tension, then what? Quite embarrassing, no? Its not the time to give in, its still the time to stand up to the evil by taking a stand.

Comment

Well, if embarrasment is the only thing at stake I think it would be well worth it to try and talk. Who knows, maybe some agreement will be reached. Also, talking without preconditions isn't giving in as it works both ways.
        Last edited by JamesCash; 23 Oct 08,, 11:15.
        Knowledge is annoying
        -K. Pilkington

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCash View Post
          Well, if embarrasment is the only thing at stake I think it would be well worth it to try and talk.
          Thats why you're not running for President

Who knows, maybe some agreement will be reached.
          Thats not good enough.

Also, talking without preconditions isn't giving in as it works both ways.
          Both ways? Iran is no where near the US in any category. US has to take the bigger stand. If that was the case, as you just mentioned, then hey, lets just talk to the Junta

And please define "the evil".
          A-Jad.

Comment

You're a Canadian. Doesn't matter if you think you're Republican or Democrat. You just have to live with their decision which is not yours to make.

Comment

If a certain Canadian was voted for President of USA on WAB .... :)
              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

OoE, the True American(TM), for President!!!
                Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                I was hush about the US elections until a few weeks ago. I recalled a time when Bush spoke about never negotiating with terrorists, and how we should deal with them. He said you are either with us, or against us. Those words really stuck to me.
                Yes, i.e. 'agree with what I say or do or you're a terrorist.' Great approach to life. Is that what you find inspirational?

I don't know how it is to the rest of the world, but 9/11 had a real big impact on me.
                A cursory glance at the rest of the world would reveal a huge impact. Whether it be 'TERRORISM!!!!!!!!!!111111' at the top of governments' agendas or the massive worldwide focus and debate on Islam and its adherents, or its effects on oil prices, 9/11, I think, defined not all aspects of the 2000s, but set in stone the atmosphere.

I grew up not knowing anything about terrorists and/or how bad they could be. A Russian once told me that the worst types of terrorists were those dham Chechnians. After 9/11, I want to meet that same Russian guy and ask him once more, which are the worst kind of Terrorists? I still haven't met that fellow, but long for the day till I do.
                What's your point?

Before I knew all the dangers and the threat of terrorists, I did not know much about our army and our allies, didn't think twice about em to be honest. I tried to enroll in highschool ONLY for the physical aspect of the training, so i'd become a mean walking machine (was already a tough guy),
                Class, raise your hands if you're interested in this guy's rippling pecs. Hmm-mm.

Hang on just a sec. You tried to enroll or enlist? You enroll in high school, you enlist in the military. Enrolling in high school is mandatory, I would have thought, and is more essential than the military considering you do need to write and do maths and such scummy civvie thinigs. And what's your point? You sound like a civilian (I'm not sure because of your scatterbrained approach to writing) and you're talking about how you almost joined the military.

I passed selection for my reserve forces, and after that recently solemnly affirmed the oath of alleigance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to join the British version of US Army ROTC, called UOTC. I have a (deeply held) dream of heroically leading an infantry platoon with an ally hairdo, cool stubble, and intimidating Ray-Ban shades in present and future battlefronts for civilisation against, Al-Kyder, Terry Taliban or whatever nefarious evil people I encounter. (Yes, I'm overwriting for my audience, you, but only slightly. I hope you like it.)

Do you see me irrelevantly mentioning it? No, principally because my military journey is only just beginning and is worthless insofar as life experience is concerned (UOTC is nicknamed a 'drinking club with an army problem'), but also because, and you'll notice this a lot with the actual veterans here, there are plenty of rational routes of argument to take other than 'oooh look at me'. I challenge you to find someone here who takes a serious debate issue and says "I'm right because I've seen combat". What you're saying is... "I became Republican, even though I'm a Canuck, because I almost joined the military."

after 9/11 it became clear that joining the army was not only for personal enjoyment or personal goals.
                It never was, and it's embarrassing you ever thought so.

I became awe'd by our troops, gained ALOT of respect for our men and women serving for our countries. Opened up my eyes to the real world.
                Through your TV? Are you joking?

What amazing tough things have you seen or done which validate this self-congratulation?

Fast forward to the present,
                Skipping about seven years of history are ya? Were the events of 2004-2007 in Iraq, or Katrina, or massive fiscal deficit - in a boom - or 4th amendment violations, or the financial crisis, or whatever, irrelevant compared to the following...

and a few weeks ago I heard Obama say he'd sit down and talk with the likes of A-Jad and Chavez WITHOUT conditions. The first thought that came to me was, isn't A-Jad supplying the Shi'ite terrorists in Iraq that are bombing our troops? Isn't Chavez always speaking threats about the U.S -our brothers and sisters?
                Talking is not the same as giving concessions. We talked with the Soviets even though they pointed gigatons' worth of firepower at us and it resulted in arms reductions, though admittedly usually not to our favour. This is politics, when you want something but you can't get it straight away, you look for different angles. Unless you have a better solution?

Then there was a terrorist scum named Ayers, who Obama has factual ties with. He tried to deny the allegations, but it was pretty clear Obama and Ayers were associated. Obama visited one of Ayer's "get togethers" and Ayer's most recently donated money to Obama's campaign.
                B-b-b-b-b-but Colin Powell, a ex-general who's obviously much better than you in every respect because he's an ex-general, said that Ayersgate is over the top. As you made clear elsewhere in your post, you're in awe of military people, so as I see it you either have to discredit Powell, leave Ayersgate alone, or renounce militarism.

Even the federal prosecutor in the Weatherman case concurs. Frankly I'd like a demonstration of how the Ayers angle has actually affected Obama and his ability to be a president. The man's got a lot of issues but coffee with a '60s terrorist ranks low, low, low. I suppose you hate Rumsfeld for shaking hands with Saddam Hussein in the '80s? Where was your outrage then?

To have a president of that nature run the mighty great country of the US is scary as hell. It goes against every principal that was taught to us.[
                Which principles are those and who taught you them, out of interest?

I am a Canadian that sees the US as no different from us. It scares and worries me.
                Handkerchief, sir?

I hope Obama does not win, because I don't want the millions of people that are just like me, lose hope and faith. We need recruits, and soldiers are our backbone, but with Obama there will be no reason to join.
                Soldiers are your backbone?

No, economic activity is your backbone. Without it, you will die, irrespective of how many soldiers you have, and ironically you won't have a military without an economic base anyway. The primary threat to human life is starvation and exposure to the elements and disease; other humans threatening you, which requires a military, is a secondary threat. Your statement reeks of militarism for militarism's sake.

And why won't they continue to join in Obama's reign of leftism? Did the recruits dry up during the JFK, Carter or Clinton years?

That was a big enough reason for me, to become a Republican.
                You haven't provided any reasons beyond one narrow argument and one piss-weak argument against Obama and some half-baked musings upon life. Do you live in the US or something or do you wish you did, 'cause I don't understand how you can become a Republican.
                Last edited by HistoricalDavid; 23 Oct 08,, 21:31.
                HD Ready?

Comment

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ZING!!

I wanna enroll in teh military.

Comment

One major reason why I am leaning Democrat

All along the campaign, I was rooting for McCain. I thought that he was a solid guy and a part of me wanted him to be rewarded for the crap that he had put up with in 2000.

I hoped that Hillary would win on the Democrat side, because I thought that that would split the liberal vote and give McCain a fair chance. I was a bit cagey about Obama.

I have actually gone on record on this board to support a McCain/ Powell ticket, a very good ticket for a moderate/ slightly right of center position.

Then McCain went and chose Sarah Palin. From the point she entered the campaign, the McCain campaign went of further and further to the right. They have started appealing to a narrow section of the US populace with all this talk about "real Americans" and everyone else. They have also started using those same tactics which was used against McCain in 2000.

One might ask what should I, a non-citizen, have views on who the American people should choose. Well, at this point I fear that if people like Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Hayes have their way, America might be a far less friendly place for someone who is not a "Joe Six Pack" or a "Hockey Mom", even if that someone is a citizen or a legal resident.
                    Last edited by antimony; 23 Oct 08,, 17:58.
                    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I was a Republican since I first voted in 1984 all the way till 1996. In 2000 there was something about GW I didn't like. It's not that I left the GOP, but that they left me, especially these last 8 years.

The "narrowing" of the GOP. You damn right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                        I hope Obama does not win, because I don't want the millions of people that are just like me, lose hope and faith. We need recruits, and soldiers are our backbone, but with Obama there will be no reason to join.
                        I'm not following this argument. I don't get it.
                        America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
                          OoE, the True American(TM), for President!!!

Yes, i.e. 'agree with what I say or do or you're a terrorist.' Great approach to life. Is that what you find inspirational?
                          Don't put words in my mouth. Thats not what he meant, if you have trouble understanding a line as simple as that, god help you "historical" david roflzz

A cursory glance at the rest of the world would reveal a huge impact. Whether it be 'TERRORISM!!!!!!!!!!111111' at the top of governments' agendas or the massive worldwide focus and debate on Islam and its adherents, or its effects on oil prices, 9/11, I think, defined not all aspects of the 2000s, but set in stone the atmosphere.

What's your point?
                          What do you think was my point? But to be more clear to you, Walter, is that the terrorists behind 9/11 are the worst of the worst.

Class, raise your hands if you're interested in this guy's rippling pecs. Hmm-mm.
                          Like on our previous thread, ask your gf m8 ;)

Hang on just a sec. You tried to enroll or enlist? You enroll in high school, you enlist in the military. Enrolling in high school is mandatory, I would have thought, and is more essential than the military considering you do need to write and do maths and such scummy civvie thinigs. And what's your point? You sound like a civilian (I'm not sure because of your scatterbrained approach to writing) and you're talking about how you almost joined the military.
                          Wow, making a big deal about a typo? Interesting, is that how you get high? Indeed, that might just be it. I don't know how the water is over there where you live, but I suggest you move outta the ghetto and get your head on straight, boy.

I passed selection for my reserve forces, and after that recently solemnly affirmed the oath of alleigance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to join the British version of US Army ROTC, called UOTC.
                          congrats.

I have a (deeply held) dream of heroically leading an infantry platoon with an ally hairdo, cool stubble, and intimidating Ray-Ban shades in present and future battlefronts for civilisation against, Al-Kyder, Terry Taliban or whatever nefarious evil people I encounter. (Yes, I'm overwriting for my audience, you, but only slightly. I hope you like it.)
                          So live your dream.

Do you see me irrelevantly mentioning it? No, principally because my military journey is only just beginning and is worthless insofar as life experience is concerned (UOTC is nicknamed a 'drinking club with an army problem'),
                          Glad you feel highly about yourself

but also because, and you'll notice this a lot with the actual veterans here, there are plenty of rational routes of argument to take other than 'oooh look at me'. I challenge you to find someone here who takes a serious debate issue and says "I'm right because I've seen combat".
                          Thanks for the tip, Walter, but i'm not a noob.

What you're saying is... "I became Republican, even though I'm a Canuck, because I almost joined the military."
                          Stop putting words in my mouth. If you couldn't understand my simple english writing, what makes you so "historical?" You sound like a 4th grader

It never was, and it's embarrassing you ever thought so.
                          Wasn't embarrassing. Was un-informed and ain't afraid to say it.

Through your TV? Are you joking?
                          News. Not Spice Girls t.v that you watch, actual news.

What amazing tough things have you seen or done which validate this self-congratulation?
                          Haven't lost respect for myself or my country.

What did you want me to say?

Skipping about seven years of history are ya? Were the events of 2004-2007 in Iraq, or Katrina, or massive fiscal deficit - in a boom - or 4th amendment violations, or the financial crisis, or whatever, irrelevant compared to the following...
                          You stay worried about earthquakes and hurricainnes while you hide in your house. The rest of us will worry about terrorism.

Talking is not the same as giving concessions. We talked with the Soviets even though they pointed gigatons' worth of firepower at us and it resulted in arms reductions, though admittedly usually not to our favour. This is politics, when you want something but you can't get it straight away, you look for different angles. Unless you have a better solution?
                          What does that have to do with Republicans or Democrats?

B-b-b-b-b-but Colin Powell, a ex-general who's obviously much better than you in every respect because he's an ex-general, said that Ayersgate is over the top. As you made clear elsewhere in your post, you're in awe of military people, so as I see it you either have to discredit Powell, leave Ayersgate alone, or renounce militarism.
                          And I'm better than you, as per your gf's letters.

Even the federal prosecutor in the Weatherman case concurs. Frankly I'd like a demonstration of how the Ayers angle has actually affected Obama and his ability to be a president. The man's got a lot of issues but coffee with a '60s terrorist ranks low, low, low. I suppose you hate Rumsfeld for shaking hands with Saddam Hussein in the '80s? Where was your outrage then?
                          My post was referring to post-9/11. You fail to understand that repeatedly. Now I hope you understand why I don't take you seriously, Walter.

Handkerchief, sir?
                          Think you'll need it.

Soldiers are your backbone?

No, economic activity is your backbone. Without it, you will die, irrespective of how many soldiers you have, and ironically you won't have a military without an economic base anyway. The primary threat to human life is starvation and exposure to the elements and disease; other humans threatening you, which requires a military, is a secondary threat. Your statement reeks of militarism for militarism's sake.
                          Soldiers are our backbone you hippie. Its about national security. Or do you talk like that because you're already from a military power? Maybe if you were from a weak nation you'd be more grateful.

And why won't they continue to join in Obama's reign of leftism? Did the recruits dry up during the JFK, Carter or Clinton years?
                          Obama's way is the wrong way. I'd never follow an idiot like Obama.

You haven't provided any reasons beyond one narrow argument and one piss-weak argument against Obama and some half-baked musings upon life. Do you live in the US or something or do you wish you did, 'cause I don't understand how you can become a Republican.
                          Read the title of the thread. And next time do us all a favour by not posting when you're high off your cheap drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Curator View Post
                            I was a Republican since I first voted in 1984 all the way till 1996. In 2000 there was something about GW I didn't like. It's not that I left the GOP, but that they left me, especially these last 8 years.

The "narrowing" of the GOP. You damn right.
                            Sure you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Curator View Post
                              BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ZING!!

I wanna enroll in teh military.
                              Yeah, another hippie celebrating a typo. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X