Pakistani Forces Fire On US Forces Entering Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistani Forces Fire On US Forces Entering Pakistan

Pakistani troops fired at US military helicopters forcing them to turn back to Afghanistan after they crossed into Pakistani territory, according to Pakistani security officials.

The incident took place near Angoorada, a village in the tribal region of South Waziristan, on Monday amid growing anger in Pakistan over US strikes on Pakistani soil.
    However, Major Murad Khan, a Pakistani military spokesman, said that although there had been shooting it did not involve Pakistani troops and the American helicopters had not crossed into Pakistani airspace.

"The US choppers were there at the border, but they did not violate our airspace," Khan said.

"We confirm that there was a firing incident at the time when the helicopters were there, but our forces were not involved."
    Some contradictory comments from the Pakistani Army. Maybe some Pakistani units refused to abide by some sort of a neutral or passive arrangement regarding US forces in hot pursuit of insurgent elements.

Al Jazeera English - CENTRAL/S. ASIA - Pakistan army 'fires on US forces'
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 15 Sep 08,, 21:35.

Equilibrium Reply

We'll see. I hope they end this duplicity by bringing things into the open. The same rules apply as when Armitage spoke privately with Musharraf. The pakistani forums, though, are full of "show the Americans a good what-for".

Sounds smart to me to show their greatest export market, in spades, the "way it is" when operating on two-months reserves (please correct me if wrong). It will be amazing to watch their ability to defend this area from external threats given the immense difficulties that they've to date displayed in FATAland and NWFP.

Of course, most of it's been a laughable Potemkin-village. Time to end the facade if they wish.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

This is to save ''face''! ;)

Must have been mutually orchestrated to shore up the Pakistani govt!

I wonder if they have two months' reserve. And the global economic crunch would affect them further!

But other US allies like KSA, UAE, Jordan and the like would come to their assistance. China would, in such an eventuality, will assist in a gush of sympathy and asking both to resolve issues peacefully!
      Last edited by Ray; 16 Sep 08,, 05:37.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        This is to save ''face''! ;)

Must have been mutually orchestrated to shore up the Pakistani govt!
        What if it is a genuine incident?...Factions widening in the Pak army isn't a good sign for India

Comment

This is inevitable. They will be pushed and they will have to make a final choice, to fight the war genuinely or expose their black butt. Times up.
          sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Major,

Didn't WAB made that call several months ago?

Comment

Yes sir its true and its happening and it also seems that they themselves are cleaning some of the mess.
              It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Major,

Sir,
                Yes it did.
                However my comments are in context to the latest outrageous acts of firing on the US choppers by the PA. The FC have been doing this for sometimes now, but with the PA getting involved in these contradictory actions, their sincereity become questionable. Further, Genral Kiyani's rhetoric might be for local consumption, but still has its implications on the PA/ISIs genuine alignment towards the GWOT in line with the ISAF.
                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Pakistan: We Will Attack US Forces If They Violate Border

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Pakistan's military has ordered its forces to open fire if U.S. troops launch another air or ground raid across the Afghan border, an army spokesman said Tuesday.

The orders, which come in response to a highly unusual Sept. 3 ground attack by U.S. commandos, are certain to heighten tension between Washington and a key ally against terrorism.
                  "The orders are clear," Abbas said in an interview. "In case it happens again in this form, that there is a very significant detection, which is very definite, no ambiguity, across the border, on ground or in the air: open fire."

Pakistan: Shoot GIs on cross-border raids - Pakistan - MSNBC.com

It looks like tensions have been escalated. I wonder if thier new-found insistence is the result of uncooperative commanders in the Army, instability in the regions or a continuation of Pakistan's official outrage, private passivity?

The US Congress already had a hearing demanding a review of Pakistan's F-16 and after market sales. This is only going to make opponent even more vociferous in Congress.

Comment

hmm.. i wonder what changes this will bring to foreign policy regarding pak..
                    one thing is for sure: they wont be getting aid from the US :D
                    -Tito

Comment

With friends like these, who needs AQ and Taliban.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Major,

Yes it did and am very glad to be a part of it.

Comment

It's a nice feeling, isn't it? You see all the hints. Nothing solid. But you see the big picture. You apply what you know. Add in a few spots with your gut. You discuss the issues with those who may or may not know more but the fact that there are questions, hell even the questions give you hints, and the best thing of all is that you're not afraid to be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                            Sir,
                            Yes it did.
                            However my comments are in context to the latest outrageous acts of firing on the US choppers by the PA. The FC have been doing this for sometimes now, but with the PA getting involved in these contradictory actions, their sincereity become questionable. Further, Genral Kiyani's rhetoric might be for local consumption, but still has its implications on the PA/ISIs genuine alignment towards the GWOT in line with the ISAF.
                            General Kiyani's statement maybe for political reasons to cover the Pakistan Government vis a vis the Islamic bent of mind population.

What is dangerous is that the Pakistan Army is also composed of rather religious chaps, including officers. They will take it seriously.

That is where the problem lies.

Further, could the lack of enthusiasm to tackle the Taliban by the Pakistani army not be actually a fallout of the rank and file and not that of the GoP?

Also, Boucher said recently that the ISI requires to be restructured and he also said that this will not take place anyway!

I just hope that some nutcase does not actually shoot down helicopters, or else......

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Gotta say, it looks choreographed down to the opportune leaks to the media for obvious press play. IMO, its smoke and mirrors designed for domestic Pak mob consumption to give the new Govt the appearance of standing up to the US in contrast the 'knowtowing busharaff'.

In the real world, Pakistan knows better than to even officially break wind in the direction of US forces let alone engage them militarily especially during an US election year. Well one hopes they do.
                              Last edited by AchtungSpitFire; 17 Sep 08,, 06:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X