Confederate War-Widow Dies at 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate War-Widow Dies at 93

She isn't even all that old. I remember being amazed that Jim Longstreet's second wife died in 1963. Evidently, and more amazing, there are still others alive. That's an amazing span of history.

Mrs. Maudie White Hopkins
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
    She isn't even all that old. I remember being amazed that Jim Longstreet's second wife died in 1963. Evidently, and more amazing, there are still others alive. That's an amazing span of history.

Mrs. Maudie White Hopkins
    Fascinating that people alive now have personally known Civil War veterans.

I think this woman's case is typical of surviving Civil War widows: A boy soldier from the war, in the twilight of his life, marries a very young woman.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Mis-matched Marriages

"I think this woman's case is typical of surviving Civil War widows..."

Jim Longstreet's wife died in 1963. He married her in his early eighties, IIRC and was born in the 1820s himself. That's about 140+ years of American history squeezed in there.

Amazing stuff to me when you consider the relatively young age of our nation.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Out of curiosity, are there any Union war widows left?

Comment

Originally posted by sourkraut115 View Post
          Out of curiosity, are there any Union war widows left?
          The last-known Union widow, Gertrude Janeway, died in Jan. 2003 in Tennessee. John Janeway joined the Union army in 1864 and was briefly a POW at Andersonville. The couple married in 1927, after waiting three years until Gertrude turned 18. John was 81.

Comment

Now here is something creepy, Acklin is my son's step dads family name. I will have to find out if by happenstance my family has a tie to this old bird.

Comment

zraver,
              since i notice that your location states arkansas, could you let me know if there are any civil war battles around bentonville?i could put my son on the job to visit these sites than lazing around on sat and sundays.i wonder if the war did these central states?

Comment

Working...
              X