X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=glyn;534705]
    Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Sorry Glynn your wrong on this one.

compare this Danish mk III Cent with the Indian cent you claim is really a 20pdr The barrels are no where near close. The Mk III was the last 84mm armed cent.

Negatroid Murgatroyd! I was in 1RTR when they had Mark 5s and they were 20 pounders. I can e-mail you some of my photos if you like.

please, PM me and I will send you my e-mail.

http://www.armyvehicles.dk/images/centurionmkiii.jpg no bore evac, the barrel tapers and the end of the barrel flares

17 pounder.
    Centurion Tank, the backbone of Aussie armour says some of the aussie armor was Mk III

And that is not a 17pounder which was only used on the I and II

privately owned mk III in of all things US colors.

Image:Centurion Tank outside the Redoubt Fortress.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

another mk III Image:Centurion cfb borden 1.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thats the 84mm.

Comment

Regardless of main armament caliber, I'd sure would like to know the story of how a Centurion tank wound up with American Olive Drab and White Star.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        here you go
        Thanks. Still doesn't look like an L7 to me. It's got that same profile all the other pics have, lots of taper before the evacuator, none after, and the evacuator is centered.

Here's a definite 105 armed Cent for comparison. Of course it has that weird bulge at the base of the gun, which makes the amount of taper hard to see.
        Attached Files
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
          Thanks. Still doesn't look like an L7 to me. It's got that same profile all the other pics have, lots of taper before the evacuator, none after, and the evacuator is centered.

Here's a definite 105 armed Cent for comparison. Of course it has that weird bulge at the base of the gun, which makes the amount of taper hard to see.
          Isn't that a Sh'ot Kaf?

Comment

It sure is, I know this is photo taken in Israel, and the extra 50. cal is a give away. But aren't they the same tank with different engines?
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
              It sure is, I know this is photo taken in Israel, and the extra 50. cal is a give away. But aren't they the same tank with different engines?
              I think the Sh'ot Kaf is a Sh'ot that is upgunned with the L7 inside Israel itself. I think the Sh'ot was a Mk 3 not a Mk 5 but I am not sure. But that would make the Sh'ot Kaf a 105mm Mk 3 mod not a Mk 5/2

Comment

the indian cent never had a L7 as the main gun. you could read the events of 65 war in the regimental histories or individual accounts on the net. regarding the m60 a2 with the isreali army i have no idea at all though i remember seeing photos of the m60 which looked like an a2 {the tank colmns of gen sharon making a crossing over the suez at chinese farm}

]

Comment

Didn't the M60A2 have the 152mm/Shillalagh (sp?) system also found on the Sheridan? I was under the impression that it was a short-lived experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by sourkraut115 View Post
                    Didn't the M60A2 have the 152mm/Shillalagh (sp?) system also found on the Sheridan? I was under the impression that it was a short-lived experiment.
                    Yeah. Looked cool, in a dorky sort of way, but definitely not a roaring success.

Comment

Originally posted by tanker_jitty View Post
                      the indian cent never had a L7 as the main gun. you could read the events of 65 war in the regimental histories or individual accounts on the net. regarding the m60 a2 with the isreali army i have no idea at all though i remember seeing photos of the m60 which looked like an a2 {the tank colmns of gen sharon making a crossing over the suez at chinese farm}

]
                      it does indeed appear I was wrong about the Indian cents. The US never exported the M60A2 starship. Israel got the M60 and M60A1

Comment

I have been convinced, what I thought was a thermal sleeveless 105mm is actually a modernized 20pdr.

Comment

Yeah, it's confused me in the past. I had seen pictures of Centurions with those guns, and my first thought was L7, and then I looked closer and it didn't look right. I've seen some pics that said it was an L7, and some that said it was a 20 pdr.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                            Yeah, it's confused me in the past. I had seen pictures of Centurions with those guns, and my first thought was L7, and then I looked closer and it didn't look right. I've seen some pics that said it was an L7, and some that said it was a 20 pdr.
                            The huge difference in the barrel between the mk 3 and the 5/1 is confusing as well. They are both 20pdrs but have completely different barrels.

Comment

Working...
                            X