16" Rifle Production Capacity... Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
    Right before we closed out building 303, the Shipwright Shop Planner brought me an Insulator's Shop Plaque. I'd never seen one and I don't know where he got it because the Insulation Shop was in the Mechanical Group for about 47 years before moving to the Service Group. He had a nice name plate made for it and I have it on my wall.
    Can you photograph it or scan it for me?
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Can you photograph it or scan it for me?
      Gimme day or so. Need to charge batteries on the camera that has macro

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        If we made them before, we can make them again. However, in some cases some of the tooling may have to be rebuilt.

Remember, tools themselves have their own form of "evolution". You often have to make the tools that make the tools that make the final production tool to make the product you want to put out. But the history and background is there to make it possible.

But only if there is a need for them.
        Reminded me of this dude: David J. Gingery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
          Good analogy. We need Geeks (imaginative designers of inventions) to think the gizmos up but we need craftsmen to make them. A person who is BOTH an inventor AND a craftsman is to be highly respected.

Comment

Gimme day or so. Need to charge batteries on the camera that has macro
            Translation: He has to wait for the little bird to chisel the photo into stone with its beak just like the "Flinstones".:))
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The same weekend as their 2008 Reunion in PA?

odd.
              Checked the log for Saturday and they were here. Well some of them not exactly sure how many but could find out from the OOD's log.:)
              Perhaps maybe this was offered for the reunion or afterwards.

Comment

Since we were talking about 16" production, I thought you might like to see these pics. I was sent these when I was restoring my 16" projectile.

1st is rifle production floor and 2nd and 3rd are shell production.
                Terry

Comment

Nice pics Turbo, Spot One:)

Actually I am looking into procuring one from here. First I have to see if they will part with it and then second bust it out of the concrete that holds it upright. Its actually implanted on the corner of a city street in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

You talking about a shell or a gun HA HA
                    The guy I bought the shell from said he was supposed to make me sign a document where I swore I wouldn't shoot the projectile. YEAH RIGHT.
                    If you are talking about getting a shell, he still has some for sale.

Comment

Tlturbo,

the guy was just covering his ass. Legal stuff and liability and whatnot.

Comment

Yeah I know - we had a good laugh over it.

Comment

Originally posted by tlturbo View Post
                          Yeah I know - we had a good laugh over it.
                          Well, I have launched several large oxy cylinders before with decient range which is ofcoarse a step above the 5" potatoe gun. Ya just never know.:))

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Nice pics Turbo, Spot One:)

Actually I am looking into procuring one from here. First I have to see if they will part with it and then second bust it out of the concrete that holds it upright. Its actually implanted on the corner of a city street in the middle of nowhere.

They used to have a number of wooden, dummy 16" projectiles around the shipyard. There were usually 1 or 2 on the quarterdeck of the Misery and Jersey. When the yard was closing I remember a few of them being in building 303. I never really looked at them or gave them a second thought. They all probably made the trash bin. I've never been to cRusty's garage, there might be one in there.

Comment

They used to have a number of wooden, dummy 16" projectiles around the shipyard. I've never been to cRusty's garage, there might be one in there.
                              I don't even have enough room for a 3"/50 casing.

And I will be looking for a new Avatar, but not now. Have an appointment with my cardiaologist in an hour and a half (He'll probably tell me to stop using photos of Sarah Larson as my wallpaper). Then have to check at the front desk to see if they have set up a date for an MRI of my back. Then wander down to the VFW hall for tacos.

Busy day today.

Comment

Sara Larson huh? I would have figured you would have Mae West as a pin up rather than a girl on your computer wallpaper. ;)

And for all you "young whippersnappers" out there. I introduce you to the one, the only, Mae West.

Last edited by maximusslade; 20 Aug 08,, 00:56.
                                Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Working...
                                X