Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people use this as ammunition against Christianity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people use this as ammunition against Christianity?

Here's a Serb Orthodox priest blessing a Serb soldier before he goes off and commits the Srebrenica genocide. You know if it was an Islamic priest blessing... say a Hamas suicide bomber, you can and do see this on anti-Islamic sites. Was just wondering why something like this is ignored or not used as ammunition against Christianity? Is it because of the context? If so, why not take into context horrible things committed by Muslims? I mean if a Filipino Muslim decides to blow up a Filipino hotel or something, why is that considered "Islamic terrorism" instead of just ethnic or political terrorism? Take away Islam from the picture and you'd still see it, they'd still be the impoverished minority. Same thing with the Palestinians. Just food for thought.

Last edited by ameer; 27 Apr 08,, 17:19.

And who came to aid of the MUSLIMS here, Pakistan? Saudi Arabia?

NO it was USA, Britain, France etc all christain dominated countries. They have punished their own, they went after them like hounds on a hunt. Let me see that kind of determination in exterminating evil from Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. or anyothe muslim country.

Tough luck.

Adu

Comment

Ummm... way to miss my point.

Comment

Originally posted by ameer View Post
        Here's a Serb Orthodox priest blessing a Serb soldier before he goes off and commits the Srebrenica genocide. You know if it was an Islamic priest blessing... say a Hamas suicide bomber, you can and do see this on anti-Islamic sites. Was just wondering why something like this is ignored or not used as ammunition against Christianity? Is it because of the context? If so, why not take into context horrible things committed by Muslims? I mean if a Filipino Muslim decides to blow up a Filipino hotel or something, why is that considered "Islamic terrorism" instead of just ethnic or political terrorism? Take away Islam from the picture and you'd still see it, they'd still be the impoverished minority. Same thing with the Palestinians. Just food for thought.

Ameer,

Can you provide a linkage between this priest and the genocide? Did this priest talk about killing in the name of God? Was there a statement put out by the Orthodox Church in Serbia proclaiming the violence as being righteous?

When AQ or its affiliates commits an act, you see it explicitly linked to Islam (while it requires a perversion of Islamic jurisprudence, it nonetheless is explicitly linked to Islam as justification). If you can show that the Serbian Orthodox Church or this specific priest made a linkage with Christianity, then I would find it appropriate to brand it as such.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
          Ameer,

Can you provide a linkage between this priest and the genocide? Did this priest talk about killing in the name of God? Was there a statement put out by the Orthodox Church in Serbia proclaiming the violence as being righteous?

When AQ or its affiliates commits an act, you see it explicitly linked to Islam (while it requires a perversion of Islamic jurisprudence, it nonetheless is explicitly linked to Islam as justification). If you can show that the Serbian Orthodox Church or this specific priest made a linkage with Christianity, then I would find it appropriate to brand it as such.
          This specific case was not my point.

Nonetheless, here's what Wikipedia has to say....

Michael Sells, religious mythology played a crucial role in the Yugoslav wars and Bosnian genocide.[15]:backcover He wrote about the religious ideology of Christoslavism, "In the nineteenth century, the three myths - conversion to Islam based only upon cowardice and greed, stable ethnoreligious groups down through the centuries, and complete depravity of Ottoman rule - became the foundation for a new religious ideology, Christoslavism, the belief that Slavs are Christian by nature and that any conversion from Christianity is a betrayal of the Slavic race."[15]:36

Sells asserts that the genocide in Bosnia "was religiously motived and religiously justified. Religious symbols, mythologies, myths of origin (pure Serb race), symbol of passion (Lazar's death), and eschatological longings (the resurrection of Lazar) were used by religious nationalists to create a re-duplicating Miloš Obilić, avenging himself on the Christ killer, the race traitor, the alien, and, ironically, the falsely accused 'fundamentalist' next door. The ideology operated not only in speeches and manifestos, but in specific rituals of atrocity. Survivors of concentration camps report that during torture sessions or when they begged for water they were made to sing Serbian religious nationalist songs reworded to reflect the contemporary conflict."[15]:89-90

Norman Cigar asserts that, according to the world's respected fact-gathering organizations, the Serbs committed over 90% of the war crimes and 100% of the genocide in Bosnia. Together, Croats and Muslims committed under 10% of the atrocities.[113]
          You could make a case that this was Christian terrorism but that's what I'm getting at it here. I'm saying you don't hear about this when people say Islam is inherently terroristic. You don't hear about Muslims in Tibet being attacked in recent riots, as another example. Also in Nepal. I'm sure you'd hear of people saying barbaric Muslims attacking peaceful Buddhists if it were the other way around.

Basically, the double standard is what I'm addressing.
          Last edited by ameer; 27 Apr 08,, 18:24.

Comment

This specific case was not my point.

Nonetheless, here's what Wikipedia has to say....
            It appears that the shoe fits to me.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

It appears that the shoe fits to me.
              You asked me. I could have put all that in the OP.

Comment

You could make a case that this was Christian terrorism but that's what I'm getting at it here. I'm saying you don't hear about this when people say Islam is inherently terroristic. You don't hear about Muslims in Tibet being attacked in recent riots, as another example. Also in Nepal. I'm sure you'd hear of people saying barbaric Muslims attacking peaceful Buddhists if it were the other way around.

Basically, the double standard is what I'm addressing.
                I think what you are seeing here is that Americans tend to see folks through their nationality, not religion. Unless something is specifically religious motivated or intra-national, then you go with nationality.

How do you label AQ? Are they Saudi (OBL)? Egyptian (Zawahiri)? Libyan (al-Libbi)?

Comment

Here's links to those Nepal and Tibet incidents I was alluding to.

Hindu Extremists Bomb Mosque in Nepal, killing two
                  Buddhists Attack Muslims in Tibet

I don't see the talking heads calling Hindus or Buddhists terrorists. And rightfully so. There's so much more to these incidents than just the headline.

Comment

Not something one would consider new. During WW2 catholic priests from some countries regulary blessed weapons and so on. though that isn't as much catholic practise as it is fusion of church and state.

Comment

I think what you are seeing here is that Americans tend to see folks through their nationality, not religion. Unless something is specifically religious motivated or intra-national, then you go with nationality.

How do you label AQ? Are they Saudi (OBL)? Egyptian (Zawahiri)? Libyan (al-Libbi)?
                      That's a fair point.

Comment

Ameer,

What makes you feel that the Serb soldier is off to commit a genocide?

I presume any soldier going off for combat is surely blessed by his priest, but it is ridiculous to feel that a priest would bless if he is sure that the soldier is off to do some misdeed!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Here's links to those Nepal and Tibet incidents I was alluding to.

Hindu Extremists Bomb Mosque in Nepal, killing two
                          Buddhists Attack Muslims in Tibet

I don't see the talking heads calling Hindus or Buddhists terrorists. And rightfully so. There's so much more to these incidents than just the headline.

Good for you that you have been able to sift wheat from the chaff.

Or is this happening regularly?

Since you are aware of this, could you throw some light?
                          Last edited by Ray; 27 Apr 08,, 21:26.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            Ameer,

What makes you feel that the Serb soldier is off to commit a genocide?

I presume any soldier going off for combat is surely blessed by his priest, but it is ridiculous to feel that a priest would bless if he is sure that the soldier is off to do some misdeed!
                            This is what it says at Wikipedia.

"Screenshot from released video footage showing a Serb Orthodox priest blessing the members of the Serb paramilitary formation Scorpions on June 25, 1995 just a few days before the soldiers participated in the Srebrenica massacre"

Here's an article on the video.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...03/wserb03.xml

Hmmm... just a few days before the Srebrenica massacre... there wasn't any KLA or anybody there for them to fight, just who was this priest blessing them to fight against, then? Hell, there was even Greeks showing up just to kill Muslims in Srebrenica. Not really that difficult to connect the dots.

Good for you that you have been able to sift wheat from the chaff.

Or is this happening regularly?

Since you are aware of this, could you throw some light?
                            I don't understand what you mean.

Comment

1. Yes, people do use it as "ammunition" against Christianity. You can and do see this in anti-Christian sites. Other incidences, attributed to other religions, are found on websites and publications of organizations opposed to those religions. Did you miss the recent deluge of pro-CCP posters and their rants against Tibetan Buddhism?

2. The Filipino Moslem's terrorism is considered "Islamic terrorism" because it is not "just" ethnic or political terrorism. It ceased to be "just" ethnic or political terrorism the moment it started colluding with trans-national and trans-ethnic terrorist organizations.

3. It is not "food for thought" - it is "just" the slime foundation to heap more cr@p on.

Comment

Working...
                              X