Air Refueling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Refueling

I'm trying to sort out some questions about the evolution of air to air refueling and I was hoping someone here could help. As late as 1973 the KB-50 (B-29 derivative tanker) had been photographed refueling three fighters simultaneously (using probe and drogue). Doctrinally at least, current USAF practice is to only refuel two aircraft at a time even though a KC-135 with a BDA (boom drogue adaptor) could in theory refuel three aircraft. Does any one know when that doctrine change was made?

In a related question, RAF VC10C1K3/4 and Italy's B707 tankers would seem to have the theoretical capability for three simultaneous refuelings. Does anyone know if this is practiced? Does anyone have any photos or other documents/websites to support it?

Thanks

Paul

Hope this article helps:
    Code One Magazine: Aerial Refueling — January 1993

I've been out of the air-to-air refueling biz for 12 years now. From what I remember, it was dicey if you only did it twice a year for practice. If you did it twice a day over the period of a two week excercise, it became easy. That being said, I wouldn't want to be in on a multiple refueling.

Comment

Especially with the size of many modern fighters.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X