Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm guessing that they were improvising, so it would have been whatever they had on them. Guess number two is his sidearm.

I'm also gonna say the answer to the bonus question is "they were the first flyers to be shot down in battle".

Comment

• The ordinance was a bar of soap dropped by Richard C. Saufley and Patrick N. L. Bellinger from an AH-3 seaplane in retaliation against Mexicans shooting the airplane with heavy gunfire. They were forbidden by orders from using any weapons. I believe they were recommended for the Medal of Honor for bravery in flying in the face of the enemy fire, but were not awarded it. They would have been the first pilots to have been shot at in the history of US military aviation.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Saufley and Bellinger were assigned to the USS Mississippi (BB-23). The Mississippi was one of the first Battleships to deploy aircraft. Who remembers the fate of the Mississippi and her sister the Idaho?

The full story:
        https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval...ir-duties-well

Ironduke it your question.
        Craig Johnson

Comment

• The Mississippi and Idaho were sold to Greece and sunk by the Germans in 1941.

Mining undersea manganese modules was a cover for what?

Comment

• Glomar Explorer recovering sunken Soviet submarine K-129

Comment

• You got it. You're up.

Comment

• 22 Days before Richard C. Saufley and Patrick N. L. Bellinger soap drop. I too flew a Curtis aircraft with my mechanic and attacked Mexican assets; did not use soap. Who am I

Comment

• Oh and it involved the Tampico.

Comment

• Richard C. Saufley and Patrick N. L. Bellinger were US Navy in a Curtiss aircraft. The sea service attacked a land target. I was army and my target was mobile.

Comment

• Since it is 1914, since it is in Mexico, and it was army, and it was mobile I'm going to just wing it and say horses (calvary).

Ooo, wow we just had a good earthquake. Three tremors back to back. Now a fourth quick jolt.
                      Last edited by tbm3fan; 23 Feb 18,, 21:22.

Comment

• I don't think anyone is going to get this one. If no more replies I will reveal the answer Monday am PST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                          22 Days before Richard C. Saufley and Patrick N. L. Bellinger soap drop. I too flew a Curtis aircraft with my mechanic and attacked Mexican assets; did not use soap. Who am I
                          Gustavo Salinas Camiņa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_9_April_1914

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...lobampo-mexico

That's the one. Floor is yours

Comment

• Your link just answered the question I posed in the Aviation Quiz, so I'll think up something here tomorrow if you want to take up the question over there. :-)

Comment

• What was the largest wooden ship in antiquity to have been reputed to take part in battle?

Comment

Working...
                                X