Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hint: In the aftermath A famous silversmith was accused of disobedience and cowardice and discharged. But was later exonerated at a Courts Martial.

Comment

• It gets pretty easy with that hint.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
        It gets pretty easy with that hint.
        It certainly does

Comment

• If nothing else it gave me more knowledge of the principal and his life than I had before.

Comment

• So one of you answer the question.

Hint: Americas worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor

Comment

• Well, Paul Revere was a famous Silversmith and also fancied himself as a Naval Architect. His ride calling out that "The British are coming" was actually shorter than planned because he was captured by the Brits. Another rider (I would guess as the fore runner of the Pony Express) continued on to spread the alarm.

As for a Naval defeat, I would surmise he wasn't quite as good in designing warships as he should have.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                So one of you answer the question.

Hint: Americas worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor
                Just wanted to drag it out.

Speaking of learning something I just got Smithsonian that had an article on Benedict Arnold. Very interesting especially the thoughts that the Colonies worst enemy was not the British by those in charge of the Colonies.

Ergo there was an early Naval incident, with another famous American and his boys who spent their time consuming British liquor, while Arnold sailed and rowed to capture several British military vessels and take command of the lake.

The initial goal was to capture a fort. Anyone know the Fort, the other famous American, and the lake?

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Well, Paul Revere was a famous Silversmith and also fancied himself as a Naval Architect. His ride calling out that "The British are coming" was actually shorter than planned because he was captured by the Brits. Another rider (I would guess as the fore runner of the Pony Express) continued on to spread the alarm.

As for a Naval defeat, I would surmise he wasn't quite as good in designing warships as he should have.
                  Paul Revere was the Artillery commander on this expedition.

Benedict Arnold did not have a part in this operation.

The only successful part of this operation was executed by the Marines.

Comment

• Penobscot Expedition
                    Craig Johnson

Comment

• Bernard Cornwell (he of the Sharpe series) wrote an excellent novel about this called The Fort.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                        Penobscot Expedition
                        Correct. Your question

Comment

• I got nothing, question is open.
                          Craig Johnson

Comment

• Wazzat ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PopQuizz1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1468722

Comment

• Originally posted by SW4U View Post
                              Wazzat ?

[ATTACH]41454[/ATTACH]
                              2nd deck, Iowa Class, BEFORE modernization. After modernization there were fewer officers so the galley on Main Deck was sufficient. On a couple of the ships the dumbwaiter trunk was merely blanked off as a void (saving on cheapy funding from Congress). On the others the trunk bulkheads were removed and the decks inserted. On New Jersey the galley was turned into an office space. On Iowa it was turned into a secondary ship's store selling mostly tobacco products.

The Ammo hoists were for the 5"/38 secondary mounts. The Gun Tube was a VERY thick "pipe" that ran the electrical lines on up to the mount. The Conning Tower Tube has 3-inch thick walls and runs on up to 02 level on Iowa but on up to 03 level on her other three sisters because the 17-inch thick section between 02 and 03 on Iowa was "overbuilding" and stretched the limits of London Treaty weight limitations.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Well done, Sir ! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X