Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
    Why not make one pst of all your folders and store it say on a usb drive?
    1) That's too easy. ;)

2) I'm going to have the spare drive anyway, so why not use it?

And that's right, Outlook dumps everything into the .pst file, doesn't it? Crap.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
      1) That's too easy. ;)

2) I'm going to have the spare drive anyway, so why not use it?

And that's right, Outlook dumps everything into the .pst file, doesn't it? Crap.

-dale
      Be careful. If you are using your Outlook with Exchange, your mail may be stored on the server.

But anyway, *.pst file includes your mails, address books, calendar.. everything :)

Ps: Outlook Express users, look for *.dbx files. Every folder in Outlook Express, stored on seperate dbx file which using same name with folder. Contacts on OE, stored in *.wab files.

Comment

Originally posted by chankya
        That is true. Still I assume OSes will retain a certain amount of "tinkerability" to satisfy the other lot. I haven't ever owned a Mac and haven't spent too much time on it either. (Incidentally, the last two times that I've used it, I found that the owners did not know about the apple+tab cool switch.) Exactly how custumizable is a mac? Does it allow the same kinds of "under the hood" access as Windows? Even within the windows family I see a trend towards making those kinds of changes harder to access.
        If you mean stuff that isn't in the control panel type configuration (i.e. a registry hack), most of the time these exist due to project timescales - they de-scoped the GUI for the attributes being changed or because the testing on the setting was not completed in time, so they just leave the default and make it harder (and thus unsupported) to find and to change (this isn't just MS - any Windows software company falls victim to their marketing department.

Also, a lot of said tinkering in Windows is only possible because of it's cobbled together architecture. When you think that cut+paste became Object-Linking and Embedding (OLE) became Component Object Model (COM) became COM+ became .NET you realise how much rubbish is in the architecture that provides these tinkering options - and how much it just shouldn't be there. I didn't even add in Digital Nervous System (DNA) because my eyes glazed over trying to place it! Or for that matter MTS and the Object broker. oooh i need a sit down.
        at

Comment

Working...
        X