'Meanest mom on planet' sells son's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Meanest mom on planet' sells son's car

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone -- by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady."'

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week -- just for the feedback.
    Linked Here
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

You know, this 19 year old needs to grow up and not have mommy buy him vehicles with stipulations.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

I wish my parents bought me cars.... I'd make sure they never find the booze under the seats :))

Comment

So what if the alcohol was left by a passenger...there was still booze in the car! I applaud her for what she did!!
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

If mom had turned a bling eye the kid would have learned nothing and might have killed someone on the road in time. Now the kid gets a big reinforcement that rules are to be followed. Period. We need more parents like this.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            If mom had turned a bling eye the kid would have learned nothing and might have killed someone on the road in time. Now the kid gets a big reinforcement that rules are to be followed. Period. We need more parents like this.

If she turned a bling eye, she'd have got him a mercedes.
            "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              Very correct, and I can relate to THAT. My son is 20 (will be 21 next month).

I bought him a truck a couple of years ago, and it will remain in my name until he is 21, and it is paid for, however he didn't quite make it.

A few months ago, him and his buddies were at a friends' house one Friday night, going to get away from the girls, and do a little drinking, just amongst the guys. They got pretty drunk (3 times the legal limit), and one of them gets a bright idea he wants to go to the pool hall and shoot pool. My son was nominated the designated driver, even though he was also very drunk. On the way there, my son says he turned his head to put in a CD, and side-swiped a parked car. Little did he know, the car he swiped, was an unmarked police car, with agents inside the car, watching a house under surveillance. Bad luck, huh?

They got my son stopped, and when he went to court last month, he only got a $500.00 fine, 40 hours community service, and 1 year probation, lost his license for 1 year.

Who's driving the truck? Me, of course. Does it bother him? Damn sure does. :) Do I care that it bothers him? No hell I do not ! :)) Will I drive it for the next year until he gets his license back, or will I sell it? Depends upon if he grows up by then. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                Who's driving the truck? Me, of course. Does it bother him? Damn sure does. :) Do I care that it bothers him? No hell I do not ! :)) Will I drive it for the next year until he gets his license back, or will I sell it? Depends upon if he grows up by then. ;)
                Does the truck have an extended cab with a regular sized bed by chance? ;) We are going to be in the market for an extended cab here in the next few months as Robs regular truck will not hold everyone after June. :P
                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

BRAVOOOO Mean mom...I love parents like her who put their foot down instead of pampering their spoiled kids' to death..

My dad was always on my case and I hated him as a teenager; Now that I'm a "grown-up", I thank him everyday for being the way he was..

He's the reason why I am sane and alive today!! The kid may not realize it now – but he’ll think back, laugh and definitely appreciate his Mom for all she did for him.
                  I invented the internet.
                  ~Al Gore ~

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                    They got my son stopped, and when he went to court last month, he only got a $500.00 fine, 40 hours community service, and 1 year probation, lost his license for 1 year.
                    He should feel lucky. He didn't hurt anyone and got off easy. Hope that lesson will stick with him for the rest of his life.

I was at a game shop a few years ago, about when the Sony PSP first appeared on the market. Just out of curiosity, I asked the clerk if he had one. He said he actually did, but it's a trade-in. I asked him who would trade in a brand new machine that had only appeared on the market. He said it's a funny story: a mom dragged his son (teenager) into the store and ordered him to sell his PSP back because he did something wrong. The son was not happy. :))
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I have a friend whose parents, upon finding out that he'd broken their "no drugs in the house" rule as a teen, waited until he came home and snorted all his blow in front of him.

Now, it didn't really teach the kind of message they were hoping for, but it's a hilarious story. :)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
                        If she turned a bling eye, she'd have got him a mercedes.
                        Mental note. Trip to the eye doctor is due.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X