X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To our readers from Orthodox countries

С Рождеством!

Or- Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Silent Hunter; 07 Jan 08,, 16:51.

Thank you. Being a christened, though not practicing, Orthodox I'll respond. And of course Merry Christmas to you too.

Comment

Merry Christmas. Is "throwing cross into the sea and diving to find it" worldwide tradition? I think Russians have same tradition or they just swim in cold water... If yes where does the tradition come from?

Comment

Merry Christmas !
        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
          Merry Christmas. Is "throwing cross into the sea and diving to find it" worldwide tradition? I think Russians have same tradition or they just swim in cold water... If yes where does the tradition come from?
          if i understood correctly then:
          Russians have a tradition of swimming in ice-holes but only in orthodox "Epiphany" - 19 Jan (so diving is related with epiphany, in Russian epiphany=christening). Can you do so?
          But of course not many people stick to this tradition.
          Last edited by foxhound_nn; 07 Jan 08,, 23:22.

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
            In Tarpon Springs, FL, the Greek Orthodox gather for the Epiphany Celebration on Jan 6th. Usually boys 16 - 18 years of age dive for the cross. Tradition says that the boy who retrieves the cross is blessed for the entire year. It is a very big event!

Epiphany Celebration Set For Sunday - News - MSNBC.com
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X