Is the US on the decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crooks View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Japanese still lead the US in electronics - they certainly do in video games.....SEGA, Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Sony, and other JapCorps make better games than the Yankies lacklustre EA/Activision blandness, and sell quite well in their own right - also the 360 has American pride issues, while it sells like hotcakes in the US, it doesn't sell at all in Japan and is Nosediving in Europe since the superior PS3 launched (plus we have money to burn :)) ).

Your very right about post-industrialism though, he who comprehends the new, clearly visible direction for the economies of the Western World stands to make Muchos, Muchos* Dollars and/or Euros, depending on who spots the trend in it's full scale first ;) .

*It's talk like a Spaniard day, don't ask ;) .
    I guess missed Bioshock from 2K Boston, Gear of War from Epic Games, the Halo series from Bungie, and Bioware's Mass Effect. All of theose games own anything on PS3 or Wii.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
      I'm pretty sure the Japanese still lead the US in electronics - they certainly do in video games.....SEGA, Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Sony, and other JapCorps make better games than the Yankies lacklustre EA/Activision blandness, and sell quite well in their own right - also the 360 has American pride issues, while it sells like hotcakes in the US, it doesn't sell at all in Japan and is Nosediving in Europe since the superior PS3 launched (plus we have money to burn :)) ).

Your very right about post-industrialism though, he who comprehends the new, clearly visible direction for the economies of the Western World stands to make Muchos, Muchos* Dollars and/or Euros, depending on who spots the trend in it's full scale first ;) .

*It's talk like a Spaniard day, don't ask ;) .
      It also bears keeping in mind that Japanese companies are very good at utilizing human capital, and as a result a lot of their R&D is done in the US by Americans. We're less expensive, and often better at making designs for the US market (after all, having Americans designing things for Americans and even Europeans makes a certain amount of sense).

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601 View Post
        I guess missed Bioshock from 2K Boston, Gear of War from Epic Games, the Halo series from Bungie, and Bioware's Mass Effect. All of theose games own anything on PS3 or Wii.
        Microsoft is burying Sony with the Xbox 360 platform, even Wii is selling more than Playstation3. The PS3 was a disaster...

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger View Post
          It also bears keeping in mind that Japanese companies are very good at utilizing human capital, and as a result a lot of their R&D is done in the US by Americans. We're less expensive, and often better at making designs for the US market (after all, having Americans designing things for Americans and even Europeans makes a certain amount of sense).
          It certainly helps avoid "all ur base are belong to us"

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
            Microsoft is burying Sony with the Xbox 360 platform, even Wii is selling more than Playstation3. The PS3 was a disaster...
            Actually PS3 sales are up on the price cuts. Once Blu-Ray finishes crushing HD-DVD in the format war they will gain even mroe ground. What's holding them back right now is the lack of a killer app to sell the system, though Metal Gear Solid 4 looks awesome.

Comment

America in decline.......more like America in recline. Feet up with a good movie on the tube and lots of snacks in the fridge. Militarily an eagle soaring amongst gnats. Better America the worlds cop(like it or not)then any other wannabe up and coming new age society that has proved nothing. Americas very strength is its ability to see the obvious and act on it. Sometimes mistakes are made but heh, show me a utopia and i bet they got their ideas from freedom of speech and thought and I know only one Country which championed this principal and put it to ink and paper for all to see. Take a deep breath and relax America, you have a lot more friends than you realize.

Comment

america is growing stronger everyday absolutely.

america is weakening everyday relatively.

this is because international trade is enriching everyone enormously, but it means relatively more in countries that had little to begin with.

however, the absolutely enormous, enormous lead that america had since its peak circa 1992-1996 is such that despite american relative decline vis-a-vis other countries, the US will be the unchallenged world leader for at the very least another seventy-five years. that is, if the two nations most likely to rival the US (india and china) continue growing at optimal rates.

if they do not, american dominance stretches to the horizon. even if they do, america will easily remain first among equals for a long, long time after this largely theoretical 75 year time frame.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  america is growing stronger everyday absolutely.

america is weakening everyday relatively.

this is because international trade is enriching everyone enormously, but it means relatively more in countries that had little to begin with.

however, the absolutely enormous, enormous lead that america had since its peak circa 1992-1996 is such that despite american relative decline vis-a-vis other countries, the US will be the unchallenged world leader for at the very least another seventy-five years. that is, if the two nations most likely to rival the US (india and china) continue growing at optimal rates.

if they do not, american dominance stretches to the horizon. even if they do, america will easily remain first among equals for a long, long time after this largely theoretical 75 year time frame.
                  Welcome back Astralis:)
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I personally think that the US is on the decline. I'm not talking decline in power - I think the US is secure in that regard for another century. I'm referring to decline culturally, socially, as a people, etc. The reasons for this decline are ignored, but the symptoms are treated. But because we ignore the cause, all the wrong solutions are developed for those symptoms. The result? We dig ourselves even deeper in crap.
                    Last edited by ExNavyAmerican; 17 Jan 08,, 11:08.
                    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
                    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

U.S. will not be viable in the future as it is.

As for the U.S will not go unscalde. I don't how much damage the U.S will take. I say this because, it seems it is inevitable, you have people there who want to lower the guard, the dropping of the U.S dollar, terrorist desire to destroy the U.S. Eventually, all these and other factors, will not allow the U.S to be as it is. Eventually, for economic reasons and safety reasons it will join to create region sphere like the E.U, it will be with Canada and Mexico. With this combination it is more easily to control its boarders and add greater economic territory. If allow free movement to Mexico the board between Mexico and it neighbor below is a large easier to guard then the hundred miles with U.S. Currently these 3 countries do have lighter pack with NAFTA or something, but in the future this will be much stronger packed.
                      Some may say never, but it will happen, when the enemies of the U.S like the terroriest attack or when the ecconomy is battered my pressures from the EU block, selling of the dollar off and possibly other hiddens to come to light, this will be the option. This may also be the new freeing of the slaves as in the civil ware. You already have millions of mexicans in US illegally, now it is impossible to turn the tide. By doing this, you have freed the illegals mexicans to atleast some degree to be part of the society. Basically they are indentured servants, working for a lot less then then their U.S citizen counterparts would work for. I am looking at this as a person looking down at colony of ants, that is where it looks the colony of ants are headed. It is not the players neccessary, but the mommentum that is pushing things to happen. So even if thy had a president againts this, the momentum will push it, and the president may just go along or have to.
                      The US is changing, some of people from old world may not see it, the country is basically become more international and it is shifting from ethnic majority led to coalition of ethnicity or possibly coalition of people with the same ideas.
                      Last edited by don0111; 17 Jan 08,, 11:59. Reason: To add to it

Comment

How I like to look at it is this:
                        In the past all countries power were determined by there military strength.
                        Countries rose and fell by how much land they conquered. In todays world, there is no land to conquer, no land to expand on...its only economics.
                        In todays world, I see only a few countries that posses modern military strength, and a great economy that has gone thru the industrial revolution and more. These countries include; United States, U.K., France, Germany, Russia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, and I probably missed a couple.
                        Anyhow, it is shown and proven that all countries have there "UPS" and "DOWNS" in there economy due to competition.
                        Right now the dollar is loosing value.....that is normal! All currencies increase and decrease in value all the time.
                        Example: Europe used to be a great powerful continent before the U.S........they had a more powerful currency then the U.S. After the U.S. came along, grew, and competed......the U.S. took over.
                        I remember a while ago, back in the 70's and 80's, when my parents used to take us to Europe to shop, because the U.S. dollar would buy us so much.
                        Now!....the tables have turned....People from Europe, and even Canada are coming to the U.S. to buy Real Estate and merchandise because its cheap!
                        My point is.........Economies are resiprical!!!.....They go up and down all the time.
                        My thoughts on China and India...........I believe they are just now going threw the industrial revolution. They are just finding out what they are capable of. They are growning at a exponential rate due to cheap labor. The only problem though, is that with the amount of people that live there, and the amount of forgien investment, it will lead to an environmental and economic disaster!
                        Right now, China and India are the offspring of Globalization....
                        To develop "Nukes, or military weapons", does not define a country as powerful! Its if when your country develops,"NOT PRODUCES", technologies that the rest of the world relies on or uses on a day to day bases.
                        The U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Russia, Canada, Japan, and South Korea, invents,"CARS, COMPUTERS, COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT, WEAPONS, APPLIANCES, ECT...." that are sold at a world scale that make them powerful.
                        It just so happens that quite a few products are manufactured in China and India for cheap labor that makes these countries, "UP AND COMING".
                        I own a large business........and I would love to give my money to the U.S. citizens, but...........I can make my product at 1/16th the cost by producing it in China.
                        The problem.........China will sooner or later, produce my product at 1/16th the price, and sell it themselves.
                        That is the name of the game it todays society!!!
                        Whoever adapts and changes the best will come out on top!
                        The U.S. is just at a downturn on its dominance in the world economy that all.
                        Will it recover?? Who knows!! CEO's are not worried about how dominant there countries are, but how much money they make..........PERIOD!!!
                        Trust Me!!
                        That is my thought.

Thanks!

Comment

By and large, the author of the downfall of many super powers of old has been arrogance and the 'burry your head in the sand' attitude in the hope that things will pass away.

Im completely perplexed at american economists' philosophy on solving America's current woes. Complex as the issues of American economics are, there are fundamental issues that every economist agrees on which America should be addressing.

Basically, America's woes emanate from its weakening currency, reduced production, increasing debt, trade deficity, budget deficite and unaffordable consumer spending.

What i fail to understand is the Bush administration policies seem to do nothing to address these concerns, on the contrary they seem to encourage the opposite. Im sitting in my room and listening to Bush's package to resuscitate the economy. I have not looked at the nittygritty of it but from what i have heard so far, the solutions offered buffle economic logic that i know of.

Comment

Lamentably yes , with news like this , Washington Times

Rohrabacher, Hunter call for agents' pardon

By Jerry Seper
                            January 18, 2008

Rep. Duncan Hunter

Two California Republican congressmen yesterday called on President Bush to pardon two former U.S. Border patrol agents sent to prison a year ago this week for shooting a drug-smuggling suspect in the buttocks as he fled back into Mexico.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher accused Mr. Bush of being "arrogant and heartless" for refusing to pardon or commute the sentences of former agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean, who were ordered last January to serve 11- and 12-year prison sentences, respectively.

He said they had spent the past year in solitary confinement "suffering conditions worse than detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

"It has been a year since Border Agents Ramos and Compean entered prison," Mr. Rohrabacher said. "This marks a year of shame for President Bush, who has been fully aware of the details of this blatant miscarriage of justice and chosen to do absolutely nothing about it.

"The president has shown us his arrogant and heartless side by permitting the wrongful incarceration of Ramos and Compean to continue," he said.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, a Republican presidential candidate who in- troduced a still-pending bill last year to pardon the agents, said Congress and the American people have "repeatedly expressed their outrage that such an injustice has been allowed to occur."

"These agents were convicted solely on the testimony of the drug dealer, who has since been indicted on federal drug charges for running drugs into the United States while serving as a federal witness," Mr. Hunter said. "Most disturbingly, he did so with border crossing cards he obtained for his cooperation."

Last month, Rep. Bill Delahunt, Massachusetts Democrat who heads the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee on international organizations, human rights and oversight, called the sentences "profoundly disproportionate" and urged that the agents be pardoned.

Page 1 of 2 next | Email | Print | Subscribe

Our President, 'very very very Christian?! according to all pundits and very patriotic according to popularity polls among "Republican Youth"

Where is the beef? Siding with ilegal aliens drug smugglers , wearing fur coat , gifts from Saudi Royals who fund our Anti America ideology and agents, pushing for the North American Union , destroying American independence , making America part of Supranational state , who will be run by whom?! without the American people approval.

Open borders, our laws , not to apply , but are not elected officials

made the compromise to swear to protect and enact the law of the land.

Well , it seems for the very very "Christian" ( reputation giving to him by talk radio and company according to the newscaters ) keeping his word is relative?! or not !?
                            In a nation in which the politicians who are consider Patriotic and Nationalistic act that way , and still have the support of all the so called " Patriotic , Nationalistic, Right Wing" establishement,
                            and I challenge anyone if such behavior is patriotic, conservative or nationalistic ,

it is undoubtably a case in spiral descent

God have mercy of us, and shame to those who utilize faith as a tool for political growth not for aunthenticity

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                              By and large, the author of the downfall of many super powers of old has been arrogance and the 'burry your head in the sand' attitude in the hope that things will pass away.

Im completely perplexed at american economists' philosophy on solving America's current woes. Complex as the issues of American economics are, there are fundamental issues that every economist agrees on which America should be addressing.

Basically, America's woes emanate from its weakening currency, reduced production, increasing debt, trade deficity, budget deficite and unaffordable consumer spending.

What i fail to understand is the Bush administration policies seem to do nothing to address these concerns, on the contrary they seem to encourage the opposite. Im sitting in my room and listening to Bush's package to resuscitate the economy. I have not looked at the nittygritty of it but from what i have heard so far, the solutions offered buffle economic logic that i know of.
                              You know how to help this economy?

1. Lower corporate tax rates. That's right. I said lower corporate tax rates. We have much higher corporate tax rates than other industrialized nations. Help our industry to be more competitive.

2. Reduce government spending. Get rid of some welfare programs. Stop the transfering of wealth from the hard working to the lazy.

3. Have as little government intervention in the private sector as possible. Government does not generate anything other than paper work. Paper work is garbage. You want some R&D and manufacturing? Get the government out of the way.

The more government we have in our economy the slower the economy recovers. Do you think FEMA did a good job in New Orleans? Probably not. Then why would you want more government meddling in something far bigger, far more complex, and far more important?
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

There is no need for any tax cut. US Congress has been in pockets of various corporations for decades. The rates seem high but there are so many exceptions and loopholes that companies barely pay any tax at all.
                                Just remove the excess spending done by bush and co and we can still soften impact on the world economy.
                                America had a subprime party and invited the world to it. So now everyone will have an economic hangover for a few years.

Here is an old msn article on some of it
                                Companies with the fattest tax breaks - MSN Money
                                and another one but dont know how accurate its sources are
                                Multinational Monitor
                                also a really old one from business week
                                BW Online | March 31, 2003 | The Corporate Tax Game
                                Last edited by bolo121; 19 Jan 08,, 08:17.
                                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                                X