Presidential Term Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Term Limits

Since 1951, US presidents have been restricted to two terms in office, a fairly recent innovation, but practiced universally on an informal basis before the election of FDR.

I was reading an article about Putin's successor, and it mentioned the Russian constitution prohibits more than two consecutive terms, but someone can be re-elected for further non-consecutive terms (e.g. if Ronald Reagan served as president from 1981-1989, then again from 1993-1997).

What do you think about presidential term limits? No more than two terms? Two consecutive terms? Or abolish term limits altogether?
    Two terms
    50.00%
    Two consecutive terms
    16.67%
    No term limits
    33.33%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I have no real views on the number of times a president may remain in office, but I wonder whether or not it could be self limiting. Active heads of state OR their administrations seem to become unpopular at around the 10 year mark or sooner, or so it seems to me.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Two terms for presidents in a standard electoral system.

Comment

Bad idea on no limits. It would create a monopoly/dictatorship/Ceasar! It certainly could not be good for the people and would pretty much void the Constitution.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'm a big believer in term limits. I want to keep 2 for the presidency and I'd like 2 for senators and 4 or 5 for congressmen.

10-ish years at the highest level of politics in this nation is enough for anyone - keep the new blood coming, limit the damage the bad ones can do.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
            I'm a big believer in term limits. I want to keep 2 for the presidency and I'd like 2 for senators and 4 or 5 for congressmen.

10-ish years at the highest level of politics in this nation is enough for anyone - keep the new blood coming, limit the damage the bad ones can do.

-dale

Sounds reasonable. Esp regarding the senate. Will likely require a constitutional congress (or what you call it) to ever get such a thing passed :(

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarven Pirate View Post
              Sounds reasonable. Esp regarding the senate. Will likely require a constitutional congress (or what you call it) to ever get such a thing passed :(
              Yeah, something that core would need an amendment, just like the 22nd (limiting presidential terms to two after the 4-term reign of Roosevelt.)

-dale

Comment

Not letting people vote again for an overwhelmingly popular choice for a head of state just seems antidemocratic to me.

People may want to have the same guy for twenty years, they may not ... but it's up to the voters to choose whoever they want, surely!

What makes dictators isn't the time they govern for, it's any unlawful power they wield ...
                Last edited by clackers; 18 Dec 07,, 01:20.

Comment

Originally posted by clackers View Post
                  Not letting people vote again for an overwhelmingly popular choice for a head of state just seems antidemocratic to me.

People may want to have the same guy for twenty years, they may not ... but it's up to the voters to choose whoever they want, surely!

What makes dictators isn't the time they govern for, it's any unlawful power they wield ...
                  Ordinarily, I'd agree with all of that. As a libertarian and a free-marketeer to boot, I believe in letting people make the free choices they themselves opt for.

But here's the problem: the deck is stacked. Politicians have this tendency to write the rules to favor themselves, and when the incumbency return rates top 90% time after time after time, something's up, and something else has to be done about it.

It is said that the only things that destroy a political career in Washington is being caught with a dead girl or a live boy. Well, I'm with dalem (as usual): there shouldn't even be such a thing as a lifetime political career.

Term limits for national-level office holders. NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    Ordinarily, I'd agree with all of that. As a libertarian and a free-marketeer to boot, I believe in letting people make the free choices they themselves opt for.

But here's the problem: the deck is stacked. Politicians have this tendency to write the rules to favor themselves, and when the incumbency return rates top 90% time after time after time, something's up, and something else has to be done about it.

It is said that the only things that destroy a political career in Washington is being caught with a dead girl or a live boy. Well, I'm with dalem (as usual): there shouldn't even be such a thing as a lifetime political career.

Term limits for national-level office holders. NOW.
                    Amen brother.

How are the kids?

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post

-dale
                      Will probably never live this down ever - but I agree with you.
                      Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Politicians have this tendency to write the rules to favor themselves,
                        Exactly. I'd rather see an amendment sensibly regulating redistricting than the foofooraw about marriage.

-dale

Comment

:)

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                          -dale

Comment

Check out California's public office holders. With the state spending topping $140 billion a year and running a $15 billion deficit, EVERY SINGLE state and federal elected official won re-election last time around.

How you ask? The scumbags draw their own election districts, guaranteeing an election victory. Every. Single. Time.

I think the president shouldn't have a term limit. You can't draw districts to influence a national election. Local elections definitely should have term limits, along with our elected representatives to the congress.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Check out California's public office holders. With the state spending topping $140 billion a year and running a $15 billion deficit, EVERY SINGLE state and federal elected official won re-election last time around.

How you ask? The scumbags draw their own election districts, guaranteeing an election victory. Every. Single. Time.

I think the president shouldn't have a term limit. You can't draw districts to influence a national election. Local elections definitely should have term limits, along with our elected representatives to the congress.
                              Too many other advantages to incumbency, though. How can you NOT look Presidential when you can fly into Votesville on the Big Blue Jet, or when you lay the wreath at Arlington every Memorial Day? With all that a President is able to do, and as far as his voice can carry, and with all the goodies he can bestow, HE, of ALL politicians, can buy himself into re-election in perpetuity.

Term limits for EVERYBODY at the national level.

Comment

Working...
                              X