Canada Military Under-Estimated??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Military Under-Estimated??

I remember my days in highschool when a group of us knuckleheads used to have heated discussions about countries and their powerful armies. I can't help but notice how everyone overlooks Canada. I remember them being a big time player ALONG with USA and Britain during both World Wars. If China and India are still buying and using old World War 2 weapons, how does that make them "powerful allies" or "big players in the world"? Having nukes doesn't mean squat all to me, to be honest. It's not like they would ever use them. I don't think India would use nukes even if nuked!!! And thats based on their history. But back to the point, we are neighbors with the most powerful country in the world, and that is one of the reasons why people forget about us. Our policy is peace first, so I think people misjudge us on that. I really believe if there was a World War 3, we'd be one of the first countries to whip some serious ass. We are not even so called underdogs, we're one of the biggest countries in the world. I don't see how on god's green earth these few countries who are trying to become powerful will do so with World War 2 weapons. We invented them baby, don't think we didn't invent new ones :))

Sorry to French, Iran, ASIA, Africa etc, don't forget about us next time.

I was also told "Greeks from the mighty Greece army would destroy India"

If Alexander couldnt do it, no other Greek will ever get closer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Hey man, don't make fun of the Canadian army. I know him. He's a nice guy.

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Hey man, don't make fun of the Canadian army. I know him. He's a nice guy.

heheheh, bring it all on!!

Comment

We're Rockstars! Let the world hate on us

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                We're Rockstars! Let the world hate on us

Comment

I just think its sad that a Mediterranean country such as Turkey can possess and be working towards a naval fleet twice the size of Canada's with a coastline equivilent to a fraction of Canada's. At minimum Canada's premier service should be much larger than it is.

Unfortunately most Canadians have the "peacekeeping" mindset and see any new weapons as un-nessassary, yet wonder why our troops are under equiped for the tasks they are given. Hopefully we can get a Conservative magority government, at least Harper seems commited to transforming the military into something we can be proud of and not just for the conduct of its men.
                  Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Hey Feanor, how's the view of Niagara Falls from your side? :))

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin View Post
                      I just think its sad that a Mediterranean country such as Turkey can possess and be working towards a naval fleet twice the size of Canada's with a coastline equivilent to a fraction of Canada's. At minimum Canada's premier service should be much larger than it is.

Unfortunately most Canadians have the "peacekeeping" mindset and see any new weapons as un-nessassary, yet wonder why our troops are under equiped for the tasks they are given. Hopefully we can get a Conservative magority government, at least Harper seems commited to transforming the military into something we can be proud of and not just for the conduct of its men.
                      well.. the way I see it Canada has a great ally.. Geography. Most of the coast is well protected by a craggy impenetrable rock fortress known as the Canadian Shield, along with thick boreal forest, plus frozen tundra..not to mention crappy weather..

Also Turkey is in an unstable part of the world, where as Canada's neck of the woods is so stable that Military vessels double as Scientific vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                        I can't help but notice how everyone overlooks Canada.
                        I'm an old timer in the CF and I can tell you that only the civies overlook us, not the militaries in all our allies ... and our enemies. There are times I wished they've overlooked us BUT there has NOT been one case where NATO DEMANDED, NOT ASKED, BUT DEMANDED we step up front and there has not been one case where we've did not obliged ... even when we could not.

We HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THE THIRD OR FOURTH LARGEST FORCE CONTRIBUTOR to EVERY MISSION we've been on and that is saying something when compared to our German and Italian allies, let alone the American, Russian, Chinese, and Indian forces who dwarfed us to no end.

On this board alone, through my exchanges, I've made friends with American, British, and Indian military veterans. We are respected where it matters. In the armies who watches us. And I am more than grateful to have earn their respects.

And they have earned mine.

We have an Indian Brigadier on this board who charged a minefield while wounded. He was an infantry officer ... with stories to tell that would make any mess proud ... and clamouring for more.

What I'm trying to say is that we are all equals ... not less and not more. To those who matters, we know the score and that is all that matters.
                        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 22 Nov 07,, 05:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          I'm an old timer in the CF and I can tell you that only the civies overlook us, not the militaries in all our allies ... and our enemies. There are times I wished they've overlooked us BUT there has NOT been one case where NATO DEMANDED, NOT ASKED, BUT DEMANDED we step up front and there has not been one case where we've did not obliged ... even when we could not.

We HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THE THIRD OR FOURTH LARGEST FORCE CONTRIBUTOR to EVERY MISSION we've been on and that is saying something when compared to our German and Italian allies, let alone the American, Russian, Chinese, and Indian forces who dwarfed us to no end.

On this board alone, through my exchanges, I've made friends with American, British, and Indian military veterans. We are respected where it matters. In the armies who watches us. And I am more than grateful to have earn their respects.

And they have earned mine.

We have an Indian Brigadier on this board who charged a minefield while wounded. He was an infantry officer ... with stories to tell that would make any mess proud ... and clamouring for more.

What I'm trying to say is that we are all equals ... not less and not more. To those who matters, we know the score and that is all that matters.

Totally agree with you 100% sir.

I was just mentioning something that we used to debate about. Like alot of non-army personnel (average joes) always talk over the Canadian Army; guys who live out of fairy tale stories. So I was kind've leaning towards those guys to come out and have some fun.

The wildest thing my greek friend said was "Greece is stronger than India", and I laughed at the poor chap :)

Comment

Just to show you on this board about the respects we have for each other. Please check out this thread.

The Corporal in question was a Canadian Intelligence Officer who served with SOCOM alongside USAF Master-Sergeant Bluesman. The Corporal gave the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...attention.html

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                              well.. the way I see it Canada has a great ally.. Geography. Most of the coast is well protected by a craggy impenetrable rock fortress known as the Canadian Shield, along with thick boreal forest, plus frozen tundra..not to mention crappy weather..

Also Turkey is in an unstable part of the world, where as Canada's neck of the woods is so stable that Military vessels double as Scientific vessels.
                              Turkey is in a crappy location. It's strategic since the ancient times, which means everyone wants a piece of it. It doesn't matter which why the navy goes, it's trapped in small ponds. It absolutely needed a large military just keep invaders out.

Actually most of the old world nations are like that. Russia can never find a warm water port. Russian navy's eastern and western fleet can't reinforce each other without going half way around the world, unless the north pole melts.

That brings up a question I have. What if the Canadian navy wants to move some ships from the Pacific to the Atlantic, or the other around? Do these ships have to go all the way down to the Panama Canal and then back up again?
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X