Record distance sniper kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by 2DREZQ
    "The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed an Afghan soldier from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter

That's about 1.5 miles That, my friends, is a truly amazing feat. The bullet was in the air for four seconds and dropped 146 feet. About 250 meters longer than Carlos Hathcock's famous shot. I'm happy if I hit something at 250 meters total distance.

Hat's off to a well trained soldier from up north. I hope the record stands forever."

It's a record that will be broken, we now have 20 mm sniper rifles...A South African firm (Denel) has introduced an upgraded version of its 20mm sniper rifle. This weapon is intended mainly for destroying equipment at long ranges. The latest version of the NTW 20 can be quickly equipped with either a 20mm barrel (producing a 59 pound weapon) or 14.5mm (a Russian caliber, producing a 64 pound weapon.) The rifle uses a three round magazine. The 20mm projectile weighs four ounces, and moves at 2,200 feet per second. The 2.25 ounce 14.5mm bullet moves at 3.400 feet per second. That's why the 14.5mm barrel is heavier. Moreover, the operational range of the 14.5mm round is 1,800 meters, while for the 20mm it's only 1,300 meters. In the hands of an expert shooter, both rounds can hit targets over 50 percent farther. The only 14.5mm ammo available is armor-piercing incendiary. The 20mm has that, plus a high explosive round.

This will push the envelope!
    CADPIPE

Comment

Ok, lets get real. As a former sniper I usually carried at least:
      a 90 lb ruck
      primary weapon (car-15 or m-16) plus 210 rnds ammo
      secondary weapon(1911) plus 48 rnds ammo
      sniper weapon(m-21) plus 80 rnds ammo
      5 quarts of water
      gillie
      How much did that weigh? about 500lbs when combined with 100% humidity, 98F and a jungle!

then I would take a ride in a truck just before dawn-hump all that crap all day, spend a day or two quality time with mother nature, hump back, catch a ride and do it all again in a couple of days unless Uncle sam could find something dirtier, hotter and crappier for me to do.

If they had handed me a 64lb "sniper weapon" plus ammo....I think I would have told were they could stick it in three different languages(including sign language). Cmon...really, there is a BIG difference btwn a sniper and a guy who sits a long way off with a freakin huge gun shooting at trucks. pleeeeease!!! Refer to some earlier posts that explained the difference btwn a rifle and artillery.

On the other hand it would probably be cool as hell to shoot! Lets just not call it a sniper weapon. Just ask any guy thats had to hump a Barret. Thats ALL you want.

Comment

No one said it had to be schleped thru the jungle to be used as a sniper weapon, I can see it's use in a tower at the edge of the green zone, see guys acting suspicious, seem to be planting an IED, waste em. And that would be sniping.
        CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
          No one said it had to be schleped thru the jungle to be used as a sniper weapon, I can see it's use in a tower at the edge of the green zone, see guys acting suspicious, seem to be planting an IED, waste em. And that would be sniping.

I failed to mention that the geneva convention is already *****in' about using 50s for anti-personel. They would probably really scream about a 20mm. All I'm trying to say is you only need a hammer big enough to drive the nail your hitting. Swinging a big hammer all day just makes you tired.

Comment

All I'm trying to say is you only need a hammer big enough to drive the nail your hitting. Swinging a big hammer all day just makes you tired.
            VERY well said. I'd not want to use an "elephant gun" to go deer hunting, for similar reasons.
            If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Skull6 View Post
              VERY well said. I'd not want to use an "elephant gun" to go deer hunting, for similar reasons.
              So my plans to use the .416 Rem. Mag this November are out?Sigh....back to the ol' drawing board...;) .
              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Oh...I dunno...How far away is the deer?

Comment

The deer's evidently in Poland...
                  If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Billy Dixon, Adobe Wells Texas, 1874 1538 with a .50 Sharps Buffalo gun

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      Billy Dixon, Adobe Wells Texas, 1874 1538 with a .50 Sharps Buffalo gun
                      Ok, I'm guessin that is 1538 yds and what did he shoot with it?( just because it says"buffalo gun" doesn't mean it was a buff, I had to ask).

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                        Ok, I'm guessin that is 1538 yds and what did he shoot with it?( just because it says"buffalo gun" doesn't mean it was a buff, I had to ask).
                        yes that was 1538 yds vs. Comanche chief, sorry.

Comment

During the Red River Campaign in 1864, using a surveyor’s transit to calculate the range, Captain John T. Metcalf of the US Army Engineers fired at and hit a Confederate officer who was standing outside a tent on a distant hillside. Capt. Metcalf used a .50 calibre muzzle-loading rifle, with a 24x scope. The weapon reportedly weighed between 23 and 27Kg. The distance? An almost unbelievable 1666 metres, which took the bullet over 5 seconds to traverse

In June, 1915 at Chatham’s Post, near Gallipoli, Trooper Billy Sing of the Australian Fifth Light Horse Regiment made his mark on history. Along with his spotter Ion "Jack" Idriess, Billy Sing would leave the trenches in the dark hours before dawn to take up his vigil for the day, not returning until darkness had fallen again so as to reduce the chance of being seen. During his time at Chatham’s Post, Tpr Sing made 150 confirmed kills

During the Soviet invasion of Finland during the winter of 1939-40, Simo Häyhä of the 34th Infantry Regiment struck fear into the hearts of the Russians. Using an iron sighted Mosin-Nagant Model 28, Simo killed 505 Russians over a period of nine months

Comment

Dixon shot a Comanche warrior off his horse. The warrior appeared on horseback on a distant hill after the battle.

The range for that shot is by no means confirmed. Estimates vary from 1200-1500 yards depending on the source. When you go back to Adobe Walls today there are two hills in the distance. Nobody today is sure which one Dixon was shooting at. Nor can the exact location Dixon was shooting from be confirmed.

Dixon always called that particular shot a "scratch shot," meaning a chance hit. Think about it. The front sight of the Sharps would cover the whole horse at that range. It would be impossible to aim specifically at the rider. Dixon knew that and always said so.

On the third day, the story goes, after the battle a small group of horseback Indians exposed themselves on a distant butte, and Billy Dixon rested his borrowed Big .50 Sharps and dropped one of them. Supposedly, some years later Dixon related this story to his wife Olive K. Dixon who then included a single paragraph about it in her book The Life and Adventures of Billy Dixon, published after his death in 1913. In the first edition (1914) of that book the distance is said to be 1,200 yards. According to Adobe Walls; the History and Archeology of the 1874 Trading Post by T. Lindsay Baker and Billy R. Harrison, a Texas surveyor measured the range in 1924 and determined it was 1,028 yards. The second edition of Olive K. Dixon's book published in 1928 changed the range to 1,538 yards.

Besides, the documentation about the Adobe Walls battle mentions several impressive shots made on groups of Indians at extreme range by several of the white participants. It is strange that just one shot has been singled out above all others. If you go to Adobe Walls today equipped with a rangefinder you will quickly see that none of the distant buttes are 1,538 yards away. One is about 600 yards, and the other is about 1,200 yards.
                            Complete article here:

The Battle of Adobe Walls myth vs reality: the facts have been twisted over the years, but the real story is still astounding | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET.com

Nobody's saying that Dixon wasn't a great shot though. He still had to make a good range estimation (whatever the range was) and apply good marksmanship fundamentals.

Comment

Excellent examples of the point I was trying to make earlier! Thanks Rifleman and Zraver. ;)

Shamus, go ahead.............use the .416. I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Levsha View Post
                                Here in Moscow I met an ex-serviceman who told me a story about a US marine called Scott Butler who fired off the longest ranged sniper shot (and successfully hitting the target) when they were both serving in Mogadishu, Somalia in the 1990s.

I tried googling the name and place for more info, with no success.
                                Maybe someone on the forum could explain a little more??

The longest ever recorded shot was fired The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles), accomplished by Master Corporal Rob Furlong, a sniper from Newfoundland, Canada, in March 2002 during the war in Afghanistan. But I know there was a longer over 2 miles in the late 80's with a specially developed weapon made for the IRA and shot a priest in Ireland from a ditch over 2 miles away. As the only vantage point at the time was from 2 miles away they had no real means of asserting the distance. Hence it not being recorded. But the BBC news report at the time estimated it as more. Hope this helps;)

Comment

Working...
                                X