Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conflict that has made the largest impact on the world we know today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their all Big impacts =O....im think im going blonde!!!
    He conquers who endures - Persius

Comment

Conflict that has made the largest impact on the world we know today?

i think the very first one in human history, the war that killed exactly 1\4 population.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I would agree that they were all huge impacts upon the world. I went with the early Romans although the Cold War definitely was a close second.

Comment

I voted for world war 1. Many reasons but already expressed by other members of this forum. John still said it best..

"The First World War was a tragic and unnecessary conflict. Unnecessary because the train of events that led to its outbreak might have been broken at any point during the five weeks of crisis that preceded the first clash of arms, had prudence or common goodwill found a voice; tragic because the consequences of the first clash ended the lives of ten million human beings, tortured the emotional lives of millions more, destroyed the benevolent and optimistic culture of the European continent and left, when the guns at last fell silent four years later, a legacy of political rancour and racial hatred so intense that no explanation of the causes of the Second World War can stand without reference to those roots. The Second World War, five times more destructive of human life and incalculably more costly in material terms, was the direct outcome of the First. On 18 September 1922, Adolf Hitler, the demobilised front fighter, threw down a challenge to defeated Germany that he would realise seventeen years later: "It cannot be that two million Germans should have fallen in vain... No, we do not pardon, we demand - vengeance!"
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

World War I. Otherwise, no USSR or Hitler.

Comment

I voted for the Romans. Otherwise, no Latin...

Yeah, i might have to think this one over.
              Collins Class rule!

Comment

I voted for the Romans. Otherwise, no Latin...

Yeah, i might have to think this one over.
                Collins Class rule!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                  No Franco-Prussian war, no Franco-German hostility, no Ottoman Empire, no Serbian nationalism, no World War I.

Comment

I cannot believe no one has mentioned the Canada - Russia summit series of 1972 ;)
                    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                      The World at this very moment has been most shaped by WW2, I would say - though the other wars all provided something, It's WW2 that's so encompassing, and so rooted in our mind (currently).
                      You're so right, I grew up as a child in England during the forties, [yes, I'm that old!] it was horrific, during the blitz hundreds of bombs rained down night after night, a house three doors away took a direct hit, luckily they were in their air raid shelter as we were, every night

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                        How do you make that out? Hitler, [real name Adolf Schickelgruber] was born in Austria in 1886, which escaped any damage by bombing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Foremost View Post
                          How do you make that out? Hitler, [real name Adolf Schickelgruber] was born in Austria in 1886, which escaped any damage by bombing etc.
                          Austria escaped any damage by bombing? How on earth could you come to that conclusion? The film 'The Third Man' made much use of the backdrops provided by the bombed buildings!
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            Austria escaped any damage by bombing? How on earth could you come to that conclusion? The film 'The Third Man' made much use of the backdrops provided by the bombed buildings!
                            I didn't realise that, I was obviously given the wrong information, but a lot of people think he was born in Germany, did you know that he was once employed as a painter & decorator, later he joined the army eventually reaching the rank of corporal, a few years later he declared himself Fuhrer [leader]

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                              Actually realistically the further you go back in history, the more of an impact each event had on future events. So the Roman Empire (the cradle of all western civilization) has far more impact then WWI. No roman empire = no WWI but not vice versa.
                              Without the roman empire, would there be an Italy, France, Spain, Romania...... Latin America?

Comment

The World We Know Today

Without a Roman Empire there would not have been a Romania, by definition as the Roman - Dachian conflict sustained the Roman Empire for another 2 - 300 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X