New Jersey engine and boiler crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
    So you're going to put a name to the pump/machinery that you have pictures of and then list it's function? Sounds too ambitious, too much writing, too boring..... :)
    Well just a general outline of the process,and machinery. Since nobody else has done it before that I know of I figure why not take a crack at it and give some insight a bit deeper then the books that are written. Theres loads to write about that books dont even consider putting into print. And if all goes well then offer it here on the internet (in article form and or webpage) absolutly free for the enthusiest. It will take time no doubt but its an intelligent subject (engineering) and in the off hours I think I can find it and hmm perhaps make a virtual model of it in action.:)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      . Theres loads to write about that books dont even consider putting into print.
      Yes there certainly is. And any "publisher" will be happy to print it for you. As long as you fork over 20 to 40,000 dollars.

The only people that DON'T have to pre-pay a publisher are celebrities (exposing their drug snorting days) and politicians (how they saved humanity from aliens). And they are the ones who can most afford to self publish.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Noticed the comment about Proteus. She is no longer next to Iowa. She is now down in Brownsville, TX being scrapped. She was in decent shape last year when we were aboard Iowa.

Comment

Well just a general outline of the process,and machinery. Since nobody else has done it before that I know of I figure why not take a crack at it and give some insight a bit deeper then the books that are written.
          Gee whiz, do I see a collaboration between you and cRusty on a BB propulsion project?

Also, cRusty, ever think of self publishing your book on DVD then putting a copy protection on the disk?
          Last edited by Ytlas; 23 Aug 07,, 14:06.

Comment

Gee whiz, do I see a collaboration between you and cRusty on a BB propulsion project?

Also, cRusty, ever think of self publishing your book on DVD then putting a copy protection on the disk?
            Wow Pal,
            Now that would take some serious logistics as myself and Mr.L are from two different coasts. Interesting prospect though.

They do share the very same propulsion plants from what the plaque on the boilers state. BB61 & BB62. Ill try to post the pic I have.

Also good Idea about the dvd.:)
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 Aug 07,, 17:57.

Comment

We have had too many medical emergencies to even think about that book. Basically the book is finished and just needs a little bit of rearranging and replacement of some better photographs (like a terrific one of Nevada in Drydock 1 some real good friend gave me).

I did talk to a publisher on the phone that doesn't do that self bit. But things have been too upside down lately. I wasn't feeling too good yesterday and my wife hit the panic button and called the Paramedics on me.

I'm sure Medicare and Blue Cross hate us right now.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                Basically the book is finished and just needs a little bit of rearranging and replacement of some better photographs (like a terrific one of Nevada in Drydock 1 some real good friend gave me).
                You mean the book is going through Revision XXVIIa?

Do publishers make sure the rights to the photos are signed off if they're from personal collections? You know, like if someone pilfers Dreadnought's engineering photos and uses them elsewhere without credit or incorrect credits...

We recently had a one-month stretch where the paramedics showed up about a dozen times at 3 different houses to assist 4 individuals. Two of the houses are right across the street from me so I was getting used to seeing the street full of emergency vehicles.

Comment

[QUOTE=RAL's_pal?;400391]You mean the book is going through Revision XXVIIa?

Do publishers make sure the rights to the photos are signed off if they're from personal collections? You know, like if someone pilfers Dreadnought's engineering photos and uses them elsewhere without credit or incorrect credits...

I may to be able to add to said book after a recent find. Mr. L. I will get with you to discuss.;)

Comment

I may to be able to add to said book after a recent find. Mr. L. I will get with you to discuss.;)
                    The book is primarily the history of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Long Beach Naval Base and Naval Air Station Terminal Island (Reeves Field) that made up the Naval Complex on the East end of Terminal Island.

I do go into some detail on some of the special projects the shipyard was involved in such as DSRV, Pop Up, Wigwam, etc. But I also try to highlight the fact that it was the people there that made it such a good Naval installation.

Of course, I couldn't list all the names of everybody ever employed there (Bremerton destroyed our personnel records). But I do have a list of all the pilots stationed at Reeves Field during WW II. I have a list of all 2900 graduate apprentices (including RAL's Pal and me). I have a list of every drydocking there (thanks to RAL's Pal for finding and correcting the database).

Comment

Originally posted by Rick DeBay View Post
                      Is this with a port/starboard watch?

Feel free to write a book, I'll wait :)
                      Seriously, if you're ambitious I'm sure NavWeaps would love to post an article. And I get the impression that there are a lot of boiler men who feel the technology has been treated like a red-headed step-child since the advent of the gas turbine.
                      Sorry, didnt mean to forget you Rick.
                      Boiler/Fireroom manning underway (Snipes) = 300 men divide out by Boiler/Fireroom math and you have an approximate number in spaces at all times.(However you must allow for electricians and others at times i.e. be conservative use a percentage;))

Watch-both port and starboard can vary 4-8-12 or even 16's if the situation (GQ) and or steaming emergency distance (in quite a hurry) calls for it. *Divide out men by number watches to give approximate in space at that time.

Normal steaming conditions are 4up (boilers) 4 down (stand by like mentioned before incase of being needed quickly and or under normal preliminary maintenance)

Hope this helps. Thanks.
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Aug 07,, 13:14.

Comment

They do share the very same propulsion plants from what the plaque on the boilers state. BB61 & BB62. Ill try to post the pic I have.
                        So, what happened to the pee-churs? I'm not getting any younger here waiting.....

Comment

Actually Pal I made one mistake. The plaque is for the air purge on the boilers.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Aug 07,, 18:13.

Comment

The plaque is for the air purge on the boilers.
                            "Air Purge on boilers" = safeties?

"Air Purge on boilers" = FDB's?

Is there still a weight room on the 02 or 03 level at the base of the after funnel?

Comment

Is there still a weight room on the 02 or 03 level at the base of the after funnel?
                              The room is still there but I believe it is in use by the "brassworks" onboard.

Comment

Im thinking it is for the sootblowers on the boilers.

Comment

Working...
                                X