Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USS Enterprise: What do these terms mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Enterprise: What do these terms mean?

Have to write an essay and needed some help with these terms which were shoved into the assignment.

Ok, just wanted to know what is the "ranger deck?", "the bridge?"... and also "the engine room?"... the last one did seem simple, but as the Enterprise is nuclear powered, and I don't know of any one engine "room"; just needed help on these three terms I seem to be oblivious about...
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
    Have to write an essay and needed some help with these terms which were shoved into the assignment.

Ok, just wanted to know what is the "ranger deck?", "the bridge?"... and also "the engine room?"... the last one did seem simple, but as the Enterprise is nuclear powered, and I don't know of any one engine "room"; just needed help on these three terms I seem to be oblivious about...
    Now sure what a "ranger deck" is, never heard of it.

The bridge of the Enterprise is really no different than the bridge of any other ship. It's where the ship is commanded and steered, though actual combat action is mostly controlled in the CIC.

Although it should be pointed out that she could have least 2 bridges, one for command/steering of the ship and then probably an Admiral's bridge as well. Not entirely sure if that's where the strike group commander and his staff work.

Engine Room: A nuclear-propelled ship has engines just like any other ship, turbine engines in this particular case. They are simply fed the needed steam by way of nuclear reactors rather than conventional boilers.
    She undoubtably has several engine rooms, 1 for each of her 4 turbines.

I'm sure our resident experts can tell you far more than I can.

Here's a picture of the bridge of a guided-missile destroyer:
    Attached Files
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Here's a picture of the bridge of a guided-missile destroyer:
      Isn't that James T. Kirk in that photo?
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Now sure what a "ranger deck" is, never heard of it.
        That makes two of us. I never served aboard USS Enterprise though. As TH says, the bridge is where the ship is controlled. On CVN's the Captain usually fights from the CIC. There are several CICs all of which report to the central one on the O3 level where the Captain runs the fight. This is done to harden the ship against damage. The XO works either from the emergency conn which is forward and has its own smaller version of the central CIC or from the bridge. The Chief Engineer has his own command center too although his is concerned more with engineering than fighting. Any of the secondary CICs can take control if necessary. There is a lower bridge that is the Admiral's bridge, if a battle group commander is aboard. Like the CO, the Admiral has his own CIC on the O3 level.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          Hahaha...damn, too bad that pic wasnt from the bridge of the Enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Nah, some admiral I think.

It does look like him though doesn't it?
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys... what do you guys think is the future of LSOs on carriers?

Comment

Nah, some admiral I think.

It does look like him though doesn't it?
                Oh, come on guys! That is Elmo Q. Kirk, who will be the great great grandfather of James T. Kirk of Star Trek.
                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Ranger Deck I'm sure is a misspelling of "Hangar Deck". (Though we had a conventionally powered Carrier named the USS Ranger).

On an Aircraft Carrier hull, the Hangar Deck (where they stow and repair the aircraft out of the weather) is structurally also the Main Deck of the ship. The Flight Deck is 3 decks further up and though it adds strength to the hull, hull integrity is not as dependent on it as the Hangar or Main Deck.

Perhaps your instructor meant "RADAR ROOM" which is a whole different herd of critters. The RADAR signals from the mast mounted RADAR are fed to a main RADAR receiver. That main receiver then splits out the signals to several other areas of the ship through RADAR Repeaters. The main receiver is about the size of a compact car whereas the repeaters are consoles the size of a podium. The repeaters can be anywhere necessary on the ship such as the Bridge, Combat Engagement Center, Meteorology center, Navigation center, weapons command rooms, etc.

The Bridge is the VISUAL command center of the ship and on most ships spans almost the entire width of the superstructure like a real bridge. This is so leadsmen can be on each side during harbor entry, docking, etc.

As explained earlier, Nuclear Powered ships have a reactor room (or rooms) that provide super heated steam from nuclear reactors to steam turbines in separate engine rooms that in turn operate reduction gears to turn the propeller shafts.

Sorry. As a retired Naval Architect and Shipfitter with 39 years working Navy ships, I get carried away sometimes.

Thankfully you didn't ask about the 7 main strong points of a ship's hull; Keel (flat and vertical combined), 2 bilge strakes, 2 shear strakes and 2 stringer strakes. I would need drawings to show that.

Now that I've blown a few minds for this morning, I'm going to go out to garage sales to look for model trains.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Where do they keep the anti matter?

oh and its spelt Enterprize!!! unless your french. Do you yanks speak french now?!

(The above is more of a joke than anything. I just find it funny the Royal Navy cant seem to decide how to spell it, Enterprise or Enterprize)
                    Last edited by VarSity; 16 Jun 07,, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post

oh and its spelt Enterprize!!! unless your french. Do you yanks speak french now?!

(the above is more of a joke than anything. I just find it funny the Royal Navy cant seem to deside how to spell it, enterprise or enterprize)
                      I hope you meant YOUR spelling as a joke. And no, we don't speak French as we are too confused with all the Spanish speaking people climbing the wall.

Below is a direct copy from DANFS (Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships).

Enterprise
                      CVA(N)-65

Displacement: 85,600 t. (full load)
                      Length: 1,101'
                      Beam: 133'
                      Extreme Width: 252'
                      Draft: 35'
                      Speed: 30+ k.
                      Complement: 4,600
                      Class: Enterprise

The eighth Enterprise (CVA(N)-65), the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, was launched 24 September 1960 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., sponsored by Mrs. W. B. Franke, wife of the Secretary of the Navy; and commissioned 26 November 1961, Captain V. P. de Poix, in command.

After commissioning, Enterprise began a lengthy series of tests and training exercises, designed to determine the full capabilities of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. Immediately her superlative characteristics and performance became obviou s. She began flight operations on 17 January 1962, when an F8U "Crusader" became the first airplane to land on board her giant flight deck. The same aircraft later became the first plane to be catapulted from Enterprise. One month later, on 20 F ebruary 1962, the nuclear-powered carrier played a role in the space age when Enterprise acted as a tracking and measuring station for the epochal flight of Friendship 7, the "Project Mercury" space capsule in which Lieutenant Colonel John H. Glenn , Jr, USMC made the United States' first orbital space flight. The career of the eighth Enterprise had started well.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

(the above is more of a joke than anything. I just find it funny the Royal Navy cant seem to deside how to spell it, enterprise or enterprize)
                        People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Rusty was right to point this out. I will ask you "how many errors were there in your short post"?

Comment

Lighten up a little guys, he was mostly jesting. :)

Re-read what he said:

He's joking about the fact that after the RN captured the French frigate l'Entreprise, they then seemed to vacillate between naming subsequent ships Enterprise and Enterprize.

Comment

Lighten up a little guys, he was mostly jesting. :)

Re-read what he said:

He's joking about the fact that after the RN captured the French frigate l'Entreprise, they then seemed to vacillate between naming subsequent ships Enterprise and Enterprize.
                            What saintly people our moderators are! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              Ranger Deck I'm sure is a misspelling of "Hangar Deck". (Though we had a conventionally powered Carrier named the USS Ranger).

On an Aircraft Carrier hull, the Hangar Deck (where they stow and repair the aircraft out of the weather) is structurally also the Main Deck of the ship. The Flight Deck is 3 decks further up and though it adds strength to the hull, hull integrity is not as dependent on it as the Hangar or Main Deck.

Perhaps your instructor meant "RADAR ROOM" which is a whole different herd of critters. The RADAR signals from the mast mounted RADAR are fed to a main RADAR receiver. That main receiver then splits out the signals to several other areas of the ship through RADAR Repeaters. The main receiver is about the size of a compact car whereas the repeaters are consoles the size of a podium. The repeaters can be anywhere necessary on the ship such as the Bridge, Combat Engagement Center, Meteorology center, Navigation center, weapons command rooms, etc.

The Bridge is the VISUAL command center of the ship and on most ships spans almost the entire width of the superstructure like a real bridge. This is so leadsmen can be on each side during harbor entry, docking, etc.

As explained earlier, Nuclear Powered ships have a reactor room (or rooms) that provide super heated steam from nuclear reactors to steam turbines in separate engine rooms that in turn operate reduction gears to turn the propeller shafts.

Sorry. As a retired Naval Architect and Shipfitter with 39 years working Navy ships, I get carried away sometimes.

Thankfully you didn't ask about the 7 main strong points of a ship's hull; Keel (flat and vertical combined), 2 bilge strakes, 2 shear strakes and 2 stringer strakes. I would need drawings to show that.

Now that I've blown a few minds for this morning, I'm going to go out to garage sales to look for model trains.
                              Rusty... You are GOD!!! Made my life so much easier! Thanks for all that bro; I need as much substance on this as I can get, so don't mind you getting carried away at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X