• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukraine Burns

Last Updated: Friday, 25 May 2007, 22:46 GMT 23:46 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Ukraine leaders spar over troops

Ukraine's president has met his rival, PM Viktor Yanukovych, as a bitter power struggle between the two men sent the country deeper into political crisis.

The PM said earlier President Viktor Yushchenko's bid to take control of 40,000 interior ministry troops meant a "use of force scenario" had begun.

The two leaders have been locked in their power struggle for months.

The EU has urged both parties to settle the deepening crisis though negotiation and not resort to violence.

They held three hours of talks, described by the president's spokeswoman as "constructive".

Irina Vannikova said the talks, which also included opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko, parliament speaker Olexander Moroz and Security Council head Ivan Plyushch, would resume at midday (0900 GMT) on Saturday.

The row over control of the interior ministry special troops comes a day after riot police - acting in defiance of the president - seized the offices of sacked prosecutor general Svyatoslav Piskun.

They were acting on orders issued by Interior Minister Vasyl Tsushko - an ally of Mr Yanukovych - after President Yushchenko sacked Mr Piskun.

Long-running row

The crisis has been deepening since April, when Mr Yushchenko dissolved parliament and called a snap election. Mr Yanukovych and his governing coalition had initially rejected the move but later agreed in principle with the president to hold early elections.

The president originally said the vote would be held in May, but later moved the date back to 24 June after thousands of protesters from both sides took to the streets.

Speaking to a cabinet meeting, the prime minister denounced Mr Yushchenko's attempt to wrest control of the 40,000-strong force.

"Taking such decisions without consulting the government is inadmissible," he said.

"I think this seriously aggravates the situation."

Mr Yanukovych said the presidential decree had violated constitutional provisions placing the troops under the government's control. Mr Yushchenko is head of the army.

"What does all this mean?" he asked.

"This means that the 'use of force scenario', which we have been discussing constantly, has begun."

'Junta'

Interior Minister Mr Tsushko said he would ensure order, but accused the president and his supporters of driving Ukraine towards civil war.

"It is a part of the president's entourage, whom I call the junta, which is pushing us towards civil war," he told Ukrainian TV.

"This is terrible, because we all want a peaceful life."

The BBC's Steven Eke says the language is ominous, but it remains to be seen whether it is more about posturing, than any real possibility of unrest.

Until now, our correspondent says, the political crisis has been played out in the courts and largely unproductive parliamentary wrangling.

The European Union issued an appeal "to all those with political responsibility to distance themselves from action which could result in any further escalation of the dispute, and in particular the use of armed security forces".

'Attempted coup'

Mr Yushchenko had dismissed Mr Piskun for refusing to give up his seat in parliament, as required by law.

But the prosecutor general said he was sacked because he had resisted a presidential order to take action against three Constitutional Court judges.

The judges had refused to step down after being dismissed by President Yushchenko earlier in April.

Mr Tsushko described the sacking as "an attempted coup".

Mr Yanukovych and his supporters had opposed Mr Yushchenko's call for elections when he dissolved parliament in April.

The president had accused the prime minister of trying to usurp his power by illegally luring pro-Western lawmakers over to his coalition to increase his parliamentary majority.

The pair have been bitter rivals since Mr Yushchenko successfully overturned a disputed presidential election result in 2004, after mobilising thousands of supporters in central Kiev to protest against Mr Yanukovych's claim of victory.
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Ukraine leaders spar over troops
    This has been brewing for quite some time and now it is heading to its natural conclusion.

Newly created nations are heady with idealism and low on cash wherein the ideals cannot be transformed into reality leading to frustrations. So, is the case with Ukraine.
    'r
    The situation has been made worse owing to their proxy patrons, this area being highly sensitive in geopolitical and geostrategic terms.

Ukraine threatens the underbelly of Russia and this is ideal from the EU and US standpoint. It also is in the route for the precious CAR oil and gas pipeline to
    Europe And oil and gas is the lifeblood to Europe as was felt during the oil embargo recently undertaken by Russia!

Both the figures involved in the power struggle in Ukraine are important and have sizeable following apart from being the proxies of powers that be.

It is to be seen as to who blinks first!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Very interesting article Ray.Do you think that this unstable condition with a possible civil war in the making is causing the Russians some consternation,or are they rubbing their hands in glee?;)
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would think that the Russians are rubbing their hands in glee.

An unsettled Ukraine or Georgia is to their advantage!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

They much better liked it under president Kuchma, who issued a decree deleting the goal of NATO membership from Ukraine’s military doctrine.
        Usus magister est optimus

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          I would think that the Russians are rubbing their hands in glee.

An unsettled Ukraine or Georgia is to their advantage!
          I would have to agree as de-stabilization of democratically inclined governments has been their specialty for a long time.
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Aching head, there is no any other advantages from unsettled Georgia and Ukraine. The government in Ukraine is headed by Viktor Yanukovich, who was considered as Russia's friend and supporter. Prime-minister in fact has more power in Ukraine than the president Yuschenko. I suppose Russia is absolutely not interested in destabilization of this government.

Comment

Working...
            X