Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you say 'AMEN' brother?

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
    This discussion has some of the flavor of a debate over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Nevertheless, I think you guys are on to something with this genetic disposition thing.

But you seem to be going in circles. Is it because you are discounting the role of outside influences on behavior?

The genes direct the formation of the organic whole, but do they create the personality? I believe not.

On the other hand, we know of cases of soldiers who have no fear, or who are calm in the face of it. Is that because the gland that secretes adrenolin secrete less--a genetic cause? Or is courage a product of outside influences?

Only 145 years we were fighting a civil war in which 25,000 soldiers would die in a single battle. 145 years is not enough time to evolve our genetic code. So, how is it we accepted all those casualties then and not now? How was it that veterans of that war, who saw bodies stacked on the battlefield, could go home after the war and live normal lives?

I think the answer has to do with outside influences not genes.

If we wanted to genetically engineer the perfect soldier, we probably couldn't in a million years. We wouldn't be able to engineer the key elements of a good soldier: patriotism, loyalty, sense of duty...

I thank God I am too old to ever see the day when science creates perfect humans like it now does corn.

Well said, JAD.:)

IVAN

Comment

• I am rolling...

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      Good question.

Morality seems to thrive best when people are employed, well fed, have a roof over their head and the neighborhood is peaceful.

But when all hell breaks loose, moral behavior is the first to go. I think fear is the main reason. Fear of death, punishment, loss of material wealth, loss of status and so on.

Whether that means morality is not inherent, we can't be sure. Maybe morals extend from inherencies like love, compassion, etc. But if that is true, why could there not be a morality of hate, covetness, etc?

I don't believe that people who follow a moral or ethical code are necessarily moral or ethical. A lot of people who act as such break down under pressure.

A person who sticks to a moral or ethical code even to death alone deserves the label.

I learned that lesson at age 5 when the 12 year old kid who left the tap running that caused the living room ceiling plaster to collapse blamed it on me.

That was clearly a case of fear of punishment. And I might add that was the moment when I realized adults were not all knowing. No matter how much I denied leaving the tap on, they believed the 12 yr old. :)

This sounds similar to something my brother did to me, but my brother talked me into confessing that I had ate the toothpaste and smeared it all over the bathroom. But to no avail, my Dad observed the evidence all over my brothers nightcloths and face. The same brother peed in my shoes while sleepwalking. So he said...Now we talk about some of the events and laugh. He had a ornry streak when he was a youth.

IVAN

Comment

• [QUOTE=brokensickle;374198]The same brother peed in my shoes while sleepwalking.

It'a a good job you did'nt sleep on the floor

Comment

• Yep!

[QUOTE=dave lukins;374203]
          Originally posted by brokensickle View Post
          The same brother peed in my shoes while sleepwalking.

It'a a good job you did'nt sleep on the floor

I guess he figured, mom liked me best. Since I was the young spoiled little brat. He'd fix me alright...

Ivan

Comment

Working...
          X