Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    I think you have trouble understanding the concept of "being prepared."

She didn't mean that she needed protection in her daily routines. She meant that should something happen, she would be prepared to react. She's not a big person at 5'4", if I recall correctly. If a mugger or something worse comes at her, standing at 6'2" and 220 lb, there's not much she can do to fight back. Not many of us are trained in martial arts and practices in the Ultimate Fighting game every day. We rely on tools to augment our smaller stature or lack of training.
    Correct....but mainly I have to admit, if my 6' tall husband has to go with me to Wal-mart shopping and hold my hand like a little child to protect me, I'd rather stay home. In other words, I'd rather take my gun than my husband to go shopping.

But NOTE to any criminal lurking.....if you see a small stature woman alone in a parking lot late at night, she is either packing heat, or knows some form of self-defense. If she doesn't contain either of the two, she deserves to get mugged. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      This guy was a fvcking loon, end of story.

Many other kids were treated the same way, or suffered more horribly in their childhood, yet they turned out just fine.

The only excuse this guy could have is that he had a giant tumor in his brain and it somehow physically altered his capacity. Anything short of that, he's a fvcking loon.
      100% agree, there is no excuse for it, he was a definate loon.

most kids you talking about, become cops.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
        100% agree, there is no excuse for it, he was a definate loon.
        A loon, no doubt about it. So, if he had survived, would he have got off being held criminally liable on account of diminished responsibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by bandwagon View Post
          A loon, no doubt about it. So, if he had survived, would he have got off being held criminally liable on account of diminished responsibility?
          interesting question, who knows, with a good lawer, anything is possible, but i think cops wouldn,t let this guy out alive, at least i hope so, i wouldn,t.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I don't believe so.

There are no medical explanations that we are aware of. His defense might plead insanity, but that will require certified doctors to verify that claim.

In most cases like this, the killer usually avoids capture by committing suicide. They just want to go out in a blaze of glory. Self preservation is not on their minds. They are not trying to spend their loot. They aren't trying to commit the perfect crime. They just want to take as many people with them as they possibly can.

In a way, they are like suicide bombers.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Gunnut.

You are right.

Same mentality as the suicide bombers.

Psychotic freaks with deep insecurity and total failures. The only path to glory is being gory and then the getaway to the gates of Hell.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• I think this guy is kind've a moron
                LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Most days, it is not at all hard to feel proud to be an American. But on days such as this, it is very difficult.

The pain that the parents of the slain students feel hits deep into everyone's hearts. At the University of California, Los Angeles, students are talking about little else. It is not that they feel especially vulnerable because they are students at a major university, as is Virginia Tech, but because they are (to be blunt) citizens of High Noon America.

"High Noon" is a famous film. The 1952 Western told the story of a town marshal (played by the superstar actor Gary Cooper) who is forced to eliminate a gang of killers by himself. They are eventually gunned down.

The use of guns is often the American technique of choice for all kinds of conflict resolution. Our famous Constitution, about which many of us are generally so proud, enshrines -- along with the right to freedom of speech, press, religion and assembly -- the right to own guns. That's an apples and oranges list if there ever was one.

Not all of us are so proud and triumphant about the gun-guarantee clause. The right to free speech, press, religion and assembly and so on seem to be working well, but the gun part, not so much.

Let me explain. Some misguided people will focus on the fact that the 23-year-old student who killed his classmates and others at Virginia Tech was ethnically Korean. This is one of those observations that's 99.99 percent irrelevant. What are we to make of the fact that he is Korean? Ban Ki-moon is also Korean! Our brilliant new United Nations secretary general has not only never fired a gun, it looks like he may have just put together a peace formula for civil war-wracked Sudan -- a formula that escaped his predecessor.

So let's just disregard all the hoopla about the race of the student responsible for the slayings. These students were not killed by a Korean, they were killed by a 9 mm handgun and a .22-caliber handgun.

In the nineties, the Los Angeles Times courageously endorsed an all-but-complete ban on privately owned guns, in an effort to greatly reduce their availability. By the time the series of editorials had concluded, the newspaper had received more angry letters and fiery faxes from the well-armed U.S. gun lobby than on any other issue during my privileged six-year tenure as the newspaper's editorial page editor.

But the paper, by the way, also received more supportive letters than on any other issue about which it editorialized during that era. The common sense of ordinary citizens told them that whatever Americans were and are good for, carrying around guns like costume jewelry was not on our Mature List of Notable Cultural Accomplishments.

"Guns don't kill people," goes the gun lobby's absurd mantra. Far fewer guns in America would logically result in far fewer deaths from people pulling the trigger. The probability of the Virginia Tech gun massacre happening would have been greatly reduced if guns weren't so easily available to ordinary citizens.

Foreigners sometimes believe that celebrities in America are more often the targets of gun violence than the rest of us. Not true. Celebrity shootings just make better news stories, so perhaps they seem common. They're not. All of us are targets because with so many guns swishing around our culture, no one is immune -- not even us non-celebrities.

When the great pop composer and legendary member of the Beatles John Lennon was shot in 1980 in New York, many in the foreign press tabbed it a war on celebrities. Now, some in the media will declare a war on students or some-such. This is all misplaced. The correct target of our concern needs to be guns. America has more than it can possibly handle. How many can our society handle? My opinion is: as close to zero as possible.

Last month, I was robbed at 10 in the evening in the alley behind my home. As I was carrying groceries inside, a man with a gun approached me where my car was parked. The gun he carried featured one of those red-dot laser beams, which he pointed right at my head.

Because I'm anything but a James Bond type, I quickly complied with all of his requests. Perhaps because of my rapid response (it is called surrender), he chose not to shoot me; but he just as easily could have. What was to stop him?

This occurred in Beverly Hills, a low-crime area dotted with upscale boutiques, restaurants and businesses -- a city best known perhaps for its glamour and celebrity sightings.

Oh, and police tell me the armed robber definitely was not Korean. Not that I would have known one way or the other: Basically the only thing I saw or can remember was the gun, with the red dot, pointed right at my head.

A near-death experience does focus the mind. We need to get rid of our guns.

Moron Linked Here
                Simple enough he makes it sound. We just put on the 10 O'Clock news tonight that the US has become gun-free and everyone should turn theirs in tomorrow at their local police station...that should work.

Can I say again that I think this guy is a moron.
                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Originally posted by THL View Post
                  I think this guy is kind've a moron
                  Simple enough he makes it sound. We just put on the 10 O'Clock news tonight that the US has become gun-free and everyone should turn theirs in tomorrow at their local police station...that should work.

you are right 100% he is a moron,big time moron.

Comment

• Breaking news: Gunman roaming free in NASA building

CTV.ca | Police responding to gunshot inside NASA building

Police responding to gunshot inside NASA building

Updated Fri. Apr. 20 2007 4:19 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Aerial view of a building at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, Friday, April 20, 2007.

Police have evacuated dozens of people from a building in NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, after a man was reportedly seen carrying a gun.

A suspect has barricaded himself on the second floor of the building and witnesses reportedly heard at least one gunshot.

CNN reports that the alleged gunman is an employee at the compound and was seen carrying a handgun.

He is described as a white male, aged 50 to 52, with blonde hair and a slim build.

Police have surrounded the area and sealed off all exits. The suspected gunman is inside the compound's Building 44, which houses communications and engineering offices.

The incident comes just days after the Virginia Tech shooting, when student Cho Seung-Hui fatally shot 32 people before taking his own life.

Today also marks the eighth anniversary of the Columbine school shooting, when two students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, killed 12 classmates and a teacher before killing themselves.

More details to come...

Comment

• Originally posted by Julie View Post
                      To Glyn and Dale, two of what I consider my most artistic and intelligent posters: I'm detecting a little name-calling and sarcasm and don't want it to get more heated, so yall work it out by PM if you have to. Thanks. :)
                      Hey, Glyn's the one with his panties in a bunch, not me.

-dale

Comment

I think this guy is kind've a moron

Kind of? He's as stupid as the VT shooter is crazy.

Virginia Tech is a "gun free" zone in case he hasn't noticed. Liberals passed laws to make it safe. Unfortunately only the "law abiding" heed to laws. The criminal element and the insane rarely care about laws.

The mugger could have robbed him with a knife. What's he gonna do? I could have robbed him with a bat. What's he gonna do? Fight back against a knife or a bat but not against a gun? News flash: OJ killed 2 people with a knife, not a gun.

I make it a point in my life that if I ever witness a crime being committed against a known anti-gunner, and I have the power to stop it with my gun, I will grab some popcorn and watch the show. Be it rape, murder, mugging, or a good old fashion beat down, I will not interfere out of the goodness of my heart.
                        Last edited by gunnut; 20 Apr 07,, 22:16.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by dalem View Post
                          Hey, Glyn's the one with his panties in a bunch, not me.

-dale
                          Would Dalem Pimmelkopf like to tell us the name of the charm school he failed?
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Oh man, then we would have been able to have an awesome thread about the death penalty and the insanity defense. ;) I could have quoted more Heinlein.

-dale

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Would Dalem Pimmelkopf like to tell us the name of the charm school he failed?
                              If you don't want me to scuff your squeaky clean infraction record, I would highly advise you stop flame-baiting. Now please, govern yourself accordingly.

Comment

Absolutely. No matter where one stands on the guestion of banning firearms, this guy's reasoning is a jumbled mess.

Who the hell thinks it is material that the killer was Korean. It's just a matter of description just as it was when the 2 killers who shot up Columbine HS were identified as white Americans Geez.

And where does he come off with the assertion that had firearms been banned long ago, the killing would have been much less "probable". Hey, if amonia based fertilizer had been banned to farmers a long time ago, maybe an ex-Army, white guy wouldn't have blown up the Federal Bldg in Okla. City.
                                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                                X