Art of War, Sun Tzu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art of War, Sun Tzu

I am presently reading Samuel B. Griffith's Art of War. Any comments on it or things I should keep in mind while reading it?

Does anyone have books to suggest regarding the princips of war?

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
    I am presently reading Samuel B. Griffith's Art of War. Any comments on it or things I should keep in mind while reading it?

Does anyone have books to suggest regarding the princips of war?
    Only that you do not read classical Chinese and may take things out of context. I've read the Art of War three times, the last time, it took me over a year in trying to understand it in the original Chinese ... and I will tell you that that my 1st reading is completely wrong.

My 1st read in Griffith's translation.
    My second read in Chinese (modern)
    3rd - Classical Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      Only that you do not read classical Chinese and may take things out of context. I've read the Art of War three times, the last time, it took me over a year in trying to understand it in the original Chinese ... and I will tell you that that my 1st reading is completely wrong.

My 1st read in Griffith's translation.
      My second read in Chinese (modern)
      3rd - Classical Chinese
      You think it is worth learning Chinese just for this book?!? :)
      ...and what I'm frightened off, is that they call it God's love...

Comment

Any books on milit tactics, particluarly on strategic level, that you advise I read after Art? I'm thinking of On War

Comment

Originally posted by Felix
          You think it is worth learning Chinese just for this book?!? :)
          It's alot easier to rely on lecturers like me.

Any books on milit tactics, particluarly on strategic level, that you advise I read after Art? I'm thinking of On War
          Good read. Would also recommend Machevelli. The three serves as a good intro into strategic philosophy. Just be advised that we have long surpassed these 3 great thinkers in strategic thinking and knowhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            It's alot easier to rely on lecturers like me.

Good read. Would also recommend Machevelli. The three serves as a good intro into strategic philosophy. Just be advised that we have long surpassed these 3 great thinkers in strategic thinking and knowhow.
            True, but in order to surpass, you must master the basics. That's what SUn Tzu, Machevelli and others did.

Created the basics of an strategic thinking and knowhow for others to follow.

Comment

On the strategic level, von Molke is good. A collection of his writings can be found in "Molke on the Art of War" by Daniel Hughes. Von Molke seldom shows up on anyone's "greatest generals" list simply because his wars against the French and the Austro-Hungarians were so short and one-sided.

Also worth looking into is Van Creveld's "Supplying War" on logistics. As the saying goes, "amateurs discuss tactics, professionals discuss logistics".

Comment

There are about 523 dialects in Mandarin.

Do visit http://www.glossika.com/en/dict/

There are many Chinese dialects in China. It is hard to guess how many dialects exist, but they can be roughly classified into one of the seven large groups, i.e., Putonghua (Mandarin), Gan, Kejia (Hakka), Min, Wu, Xiang and Yue (Cantonese). Each language group contains a large number of dialects. These are the Chinese languages spoken mostly by the Han people, which represents about 92 percent of the total population

Colonel would be more authentic.

Chinese is not an easy language. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language

Yet as it is said 'If Chan can Cook, so can you!':)
                Last edited by Ray; 17 Dec 04,, 09:09.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Apart from the books mentioned by others, try to lay your hands on "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", by Col.T.E Lawrence (a.k.a Lawrence of Arabia).

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Hi
                    Not sure how you are gonna like this , but may be i will just show you.
                    Kautilya/Chanakyas "Arthashastra" is what i am talking about.

Written more than 2000 years ago by Chanakya , the Prime Minister to ChandraGupta Maurya-grandfather of Asoka Maurya the great , you might find Arthashastra a bit intresting , but also exhaustive in details relating to the Indian Sub-Continent.

http://projectsouthasia.sdstate.edu/...stra/index.htm

Comment

This book On War by General Carl von Clausewitz (1827) might be of help. I posted a link that will give you the basics.

http://www.marxists.org/reference/ar.../works/on-war/
                      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

hey all u got to do is attend West Point (best military school) of course i think the first thing they teach is

"though stupidity have been seen in rushing to war, but intelligence has never been observed in delaying it" --Sun Tzu

Comment

Guderian's "Achtung-Panzer" is always a goody. :)
                          Michael Howard's "The Invention of Peace" also makes interesting reading.
                          Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Working...
                          X