Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    How about a number 11? M26 Pershing

From it came 40 years of American tanks (M46/47/48/60)
    But none of them was really ground breaking, they were in every respect an average tank

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Albany Rifles
      How about a number 11? M26 Pershing

From it came 40 years of American tanks (M46/47/48/60)

But none of them was really ground breaking, they were in every respect an average tank

Actually, the Pershing really was the first American "Heavy" tank put in the field (later downgraded to a "Medium" tank). It was about equal, more or less, to the German Panther but still needed improvements in Armor design and elimination of "shell traps". Saw a picture of one where a German shell caught right underneath the lifting padeye of the frontal plate and punched on through.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

and i find past US tanks very ugly :)

except Stuart "honey"
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          It was a major departure for American tank design, that was more what I meant.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

I love the sherman even if it was the tommy cooker.

-Equalizer T-

Comment

That is awesome. My boys would kill for one of those (and then destroy it within a week)

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                It was a major departure for American tank design, that was more what I meant.
                Not really, the T1E2/M6 was the ground breaker there. Although the Liberty tank was the first US heavy, it was a rhomboid.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Not really, the T1E2/M6 was the ground breaker there. Although the Liberty tank was the first US heavy, it was a rhomboid.

I think you are wrong there.

The T1/M6 looked more like and was designed more like the M3/M4. The M26 was a new design.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X