The Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death Penalty

The Death Penalty. A long debated and highly controversial issue with many strong supporters on both sides. What I want to know is this: Is the death penalty an effective deterrent to homicide?

For some, sure. For others, no.

Comment

For a country.

Comment

A country is made up of individuals.

For some individuals, yes, it's a deterrent.

For other individuals, there is no such thing as a deterrent.

It's the Criminal justice system equivelant of MAD- though it is admittedly a 1 way street, lol.

Comment

At the very least, THAT particular criminal will never reoffend. It also offers some solice to the family and friends of the victom. Personally, I'd reserve capital punishment to those you KNOW, definitely, committed the crime. I'd still put rape and kidnapping as capital offenses, too. Horse thieving is still a capital offense in Washington State... I love those old laws still on the books. lol
          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Well, train wrecking is a capital offense in California. Haha, no pennies on the tracks.

Comment

I am against the death penalty. If the person has been apprehended you are in a position to leave them in prison until they die of old age if the crime was serious enough. The general public would still be protected.

Comment

"I am against the death penalty. If the person has been apprehended you are in a position to leave them in prison until they die of old age if the crime was serious enough. The general public would still be protected."

It costs 35,000 a year to house an inmate. If a 20yo inmate is convicted life, you're going to spend almost 200,000 on him by the time he finally dies in prison.

F that.

Comment

So it is cheaper to kill someone than not kill someone? I guess if you want to save money you are right to support killing prisoners. I'd rather we spend the money - which we do in NZ.

Comment

plus there's been several people released from prison after serving time for serious crimes incl. murder because new evidence (confessions, planted evidence, dna etc) has exonerated them. money well spent i say
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

My math was way wrong.

TO house an inmate for 50 years would cost 1.75 MILLION.

Comment

i am against the death penalty as it currently stands, until there is a way to possitivly prove not just beyond a reasonable doubt, but with absolute certainty of a persons guilt, then a moratorium should be placed on executions.
                        Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
                        Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
                        Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
                        Listen to the words long written down
                        When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by Kipruss
                          I'd rather we spend the money - which we do in NZ.
                          Actually they become available for release in as soon as 19 years, even when they have them on film committing the crime. Right?
                          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

It costs 35,000 a year to house an inmate. If a 20yo inmate is convicted life, you're going to spend almost 200,000 on him by the time he finally dies in prison.

F that.
                            Interesting you feel happy to put a price on a human life - who cares if a few innocent people get fried every now then anyho?

Comment

Eh, I say let the criminals fry. The vast majority of public opinion supports it, including myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X