Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time your country was invaded by a foreign army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Soviet Union, back in 1944, occupation lasted for almost 50 years

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGiZ
      By Soviet Union, back in 1944, occupation lasted for almost 50 years
      The free world should never have let that happen, or to last that long. :(
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
        The free world should never have let that happen, or to last that long. :(
        All they did - just were promising almost 9 years until 1953 that "America will help you, brothers, we will come", so many people were fighting superior RA,NKVD forces - and in fact the resistance ended, when we realised, that in fact we were fooled (other neighborhood countries occupied by USSR aswell...)
        EDIT: But I understand on the other hand, that Soviets used quite a good moment - for first time in 1939, when we were forced to let the Red Army to establish their bases for our "defence" on our soil and latter our renegades, backed by RA, claimed that we WANTED to integrate to USSR...BS but at this time world eyes were on West Europe, where Nazi's armys were marching along and across...in 1944 there was other political situation - USSR was an Ally, world was quite exhausted by WWII and there were other matters - I believe like to avoid confronting Allies vs USSR and so on...so few small independent states wasn't a thing to care about...
        And as for the radio "Voice of America"...I believe it was smtn lik one of CIA tricks - keep people, which are tickling their enemy to it's back, inspired, and then simply abandon them...
        Last edited by WeeGiZ; 12 May 05,, 08:04.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap
          The late, great Alan Clark attempted to point this out at the time. The Spectator often feels sympathetic to the Serbian cause; at this moment, given ethnic cleansing continues against Christian communities - esp. the destruction of beautiful medieval churches - I find it disturbing that the "international community" is not prepared to take action.
          I dont even think such acts are reported outside of Serbia. Incidents like this have been going on since the 1300s, yes the massacre of Sebrenica or the siege of Sarajevo were in no way justified but the Serbs dohave a right to fight back and protect their land and religion.

Comment

that in fact we were fooled
            The failure to end the Soviet occupations, and it's effects on the people, are some of the reasons I allways support the removal of tyrants.
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

That would be our 1809 debacle then. We tried to take territories from Russia but were beaten back badly and invaded. We lost all of Österland, a small part of Norrland and a good chunk of Svealand (those territiries now make up Finland and the finnish protectorat of Åland).

Comment

Originally posted by Jewe377
                That would be our 1809 debacle then.
                Talking to me? There were no Soviets in 1809. ;)

Comment

That would be our 1809 debacle then. We tried to take territories from Russia but were beaten back badly and invaded. We lost all of Österland, a small part of Norrland and a good chunk of Svealand (those territiries now make up Finland and the finnish protectorat of Åland).
                  hehe, you can't complain about that - you were agressors, and I think it's good, that Tsar's Russia kicked some asses

Comment

hehe, you can't complain about that - you were agressors, and I think it's good, that Tsar's Russia kicked some asses
                    Actually, if you guys are talking about the Finnish war of 1808, the Russians were the first to cross the border...

Comment

Actually, if you guys are talking about the Finnish war of 1808, the Russians were the first to cross the border...
                      hm, just was comenting this one : "...We tried to take territories from Russia but were beaten back badly and invaded.."

Comment

hm, just was comenting this one : "...We tried to take territories from Russia but were beaten back badly and invaded.."
                        I really have no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure there wasn't an invasion into Russia from those areas, in that time period. Durring that time, it was a Russian attack on those areas in a deal with Napoleon, IIRC.

Comment

I really have no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure there wasn't an invasion into Russia from those areas, in that time period. Durring that time, it was a Russian attack on those areas in a deal with Napoleon, IIRC.
                          mm this one? http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/romeo/russoswede1808.htm

Comment

On my earlier post just ignore it, its totally wrong(too drunk and too little sleep when I posted that one). It should be: Schwedishe Pommerania invaded by Napoleon 1812 as an attempt to push Sweden to ally with France, but it had the opposite effect.

Comment

Schwedishe Pommerania invaded by Napoleon 1812 as an attempt to push Sweden to ally with France, but it had the opposite effect.
                              Ahhh ;)

Comment

Aside from some really small covert ops by Japan in world war 2, and the initial British settlement (arguabley and invasion) Australia has never been invaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X