No announcement yet.

Most laughably inaccurate war movies ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i say 300. herodotus was a chump if u ask me. lied about everything!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Anything that involves the US cavalry seeing off those dastardly Indians with a charge, bugler in full song.

oh and I know it's completely fictional but the Battle of the Pellenor fields, as done by Peter Jackson. A complete travesty.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Well, A and B and C.

A: I read the book "Wargames", so I know of the drug tape. The book was even more idealistic than the movie.

B: Be careful of the History Channel. Seen some glaring errors where the narrator is saying one thing and picture says another, such as Soviet nuclear submarines and shows a line of Foxtrots.

C: And, of course, there is the being knocked back a few feet when being shot.
        ------------------------------------------
        ("When the child said his friend flew back in the accidental shooting, I knew there was another part of the story. People shot usually just crumble; flying back is Hollywood stuff."--Investigator, (wtte), The New Detectives "Wasted Youth")

Comment

I have my reservations about the History Channel as well. A lot of presentations are obviously biased in one way or another.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
            B: Be careful of the History Channel. Seen some glaring errors where the narrator is saying one thing and picture says another, such as Soviet nuclear submarines and shows a line of Foxtrots.
            Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
            I have my reservations about the History Channel as well. A lot of presentations are obviously biased in one way or another.
            Oh I don't doubt that the History Channel has it's faults.

No Battle Of Midway documentary is complete without footage of Hellcats, Helldivers, Essex-class carriers etc in action.

But a lot of that no doubt stems from simple lack of footage about the subject at hand.

Admittedly, a lack of research and a "yeah that'll fit there OK, now hurry it up, we're on a tight timeline to finish this production" situation will result in Foxtrots substituting for nukes.

In addition, there will always be an element of bias, in one form or another.

That's why it's important to seek your information from a wide variety of sources.

Personally I'll put up with a little bias if the program that I'm watching is by and large honest about it's subject material.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

[QUOTE=TopHatter;334398]Well, technically the Americans did capture an Enigma machine, one of many captured (by the RN) during the war. I've seen it in person and also "manned" the periscope of the U-Boat that it was captured off of.

'Off of'' from the erudite TH? I had better lie down for a while. (in a weak voice) From, dear boy, From......
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                'Off of'' from the erudite TH? I had better lie down for a while. (in a weak voice) From, dear boy, From......
                Sir? Sir? Are you feeling quite well?
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I do use the History Channel and other education TV for a lot of research but often the main things I get out of it are the names of people. Then it is back to the databases to see if that person has written anything, especially if it was in a credible journal.

Once ran into a researcher who was on one of the presentations I had used for antiquity theft, recognized her from the tape. After brief introductions, she asked me what I thought about it and I replied that it was very informative ......... but I had to pause the tape about every 30 seconds to scribble something down.

That's the way a lot of my research goes. First I'm using some source that really isn't a source, as far as academics is concerned, at all. Then from there I usually have enough substance to ask the right questions to find the right sources.

One interesting little tidbit. As noted before, there is the narration about nukes but showing diesals. Well, in the book Rising Tide: The Untold Story of the Russian Submarines That Fought the Cold War, there is an extensive account of the diesals that were sent to Cuba during the missile crisis. Afterwards, an official in the Kremlin blasted the command for why their journey didn't go as well since they had their newest nuclear boat, which they didn't. It's an interesting coincidence, almost definetly not linked, but still very interesting.
                  --------------
                  ("So how was it last night, your 'date' (being in bed) with Leo?"--Phoebe
                  "Well, it was okay, but I was nervous and so out of practice that ...."--Piper
                  "Oh, Piper, you didn't!"
                  "I froze him practically every 30 seconds!", (w,stte), Charmed "Wicca Envy"(?))

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    Oh I don't doubt that the History Channel has it's faults.

No Battle Of Midway documentary is complete without footage of Hellcats, Helldivers, Essex-class carriers etc in action.

But a lot of that no doubt stems from simple lack of footage about the subject at hand.

Admittedly, a lack of research and a "yeah that'll fit there OK, now hurry it up, we're on a tight timeline to finish this production" situation will result in Foxtrots substituting for nukes.

In addition, there will always be an element of bias, in one form or another.

That's why it's important to seek your information from a wide variety of sources.

Personally I'll put up with a little bias if the program that I'm watching is by and large honest about it's subject material.
                    There are a lot of shots of USS Enterprise in action. And it played a bit of a part at said battle. Honestly sometimes I think producers don't even try.

As for bias, there always is one. No matter how truthfully or in a detached way something is presented. So an Englishman will always see Yorktown as a tragerdy. And a yank a success.

Just look at the bios of Alexander the great over time. So much of the interpretation of his actions stem from contempory sensibilities.

As for bad war movies, anything the Indians make, with reference to us.
                    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

And oh yeah,
                      Errol Flynn, "They died with their boots on".
                      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        oh and I know it's completely fictional but the Battle of the Pellenor fields, as done by Peter Jackson. A complete travesty.
                        LOL

Comment

Originally posted by soutie View Post
                          yeah i know ;) plus a six shooter that holds about 20 rounds ,plus you never see him reloading
                          Or when John Wayne fires his pistol and two or more drop, usually off of horses.
                          No sea too rough, no muf* too tough.

Comment

Mash
                            Top Gun
                            The last Samurai

Comment

Hogan's Heroes

Love the series tho, very funny.

-M
                              MT . . .

Comment

>Hogan's Heros

Well, when it is comedy, it can be wide open to how inaccurate it can be without worry, right? Hence, tv's McHale's Navy ....... well...........

But, of course, movies are suppose to be entertaining and if they were anything like the reality, not only would people not watch them, but they would also probably be very depressed. Of course, when they watch the movie and then expect reality to be like that ............
                                -----------------------------------------
                                ("He's having a heart attack, Doctor, but I knew what to do, what exactly to do, because I saw it on tv. I punched him in the chest."--bum about his friend he brought in
                                "You what? YOU IDIOT! You probably collapsed his rib cage!"--Dr. Brackett, (w,stte), "Emergency")

Comment

Working...
                                X