This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Militaries of All Time

who in thier own era achieved the most stunning victories and greatest triumphs? Who do you think deserves the title best of the best
    Mongol/Golden Horde
    21.72%
    Imperial French (Napoleon)
    3.17%
    Alexanders Macedonians
    7.69%
    Imperial Rome
    12.22%
    Han China
    2.71%
    WW2 US military
    7.24%
    WW2 Red Army
    5.43%
    Modern US Military
    15.38%
    Napoleonic Era British
    6.33%
    Huns
    2.26%
    Classical Sparta
    5.88%
    Other
    9.95%
    Last edited by zraver; 15 Dec 06,, 07:23. Reason: spelling

can a mod correct the spelling in my thread title please

Comment

I think I have to go with Alexander the Great. A small force of 40000 conquered more than what anyone has anticipated possible. Had Alexander not died so early, his empire would have had more impact on world history today.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Imperial Rome for me.

They conquered virtually all the known world, brought arguably the greatest general of all time (Hannibal) to his knees, and maintained a grip for over a 1,000 years.

These staggering achievments will never be bested imo.
        Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I think I have to go with Alexander the Great. A small force of 40000 conquered more than what anyone has anticipated possible.
          Persia. He conquered Persia.
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

The Mongols

Europe is lucky Ogedei died early.

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
              Persia. He conquered Persia.
              The entire Persian Empire, starting from relatively small territorial holdings in Greece and Macedonia. Asia Minor, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Phoenicia, Persia, the Punjab, Sindh, Baluchistan, Afghanistan, other parts of Central Asia (historical names?).
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Yeap. The Persian Empire. Sorta goes to show taking control of all of that land could be and was done.

Afghanistan, other parts of Central Asia (historical names?).
                Sogdiana (Central Asia) and Bactria (Afghanistan)
                Last edited by troung; 17 Dec 06,, 08:06.
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

I voted for Alexander's army but them and the Mongols are probably tied IMO.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I voted for Napoleon.

Combined arms formations, deploying corps, mass conscription, simplification of logistics with regards to the scale, etc.

Napoleon had a big impact, IMO.

Had his Waterloo, as it were, but engineered some significant victories.

William
                    Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Originally posted by Swift Sword View Post
                      Hi Guys,

I voted for Napoleon.

Combined arms formations, deploying corps, mass conscription, simplification of logistics with regards to the scale, etc.

William
                      Agreed. When an entire era has been named after you, you can bet you had serious impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift Sword View Post
                        Hi Guys,

I voted for Napoleon.

William
                        And not just in the military arena either, but also in being one of the major influences in giving rise to the concept of the nation-state, perpetuating the metric system, what side of the road most people in the world drive on, finalizing the destruction or diminishing of the final remnants of feudal society and their influence throughout continental Europe, which made the bourgeoisie the dominant class in Western society, which in turn helped give rise to capitalism and the establishment of a large middle-class, etc.

As a military leader and more, Napoleon gets my vote.

As far as French and allied troops effectiveness against old-fashioned British military org., I think this has mainly to do with unwillingness to be flexible and adapt when needed, but his changes remained a sound military concept.
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I will go for Alexander

Comment

I feel Sparta realy proved it self in the battle of Thermopylas fought by King Leonidas and about 300-29000 Spartans and Greeks against Xerxes with his 2 to 5 million Persians. Yes they lost but taught the Mighty Persians the worth of 1 Spartan warrior. I'm not sure what the true troop strengths were but it was real rough odds anyway you look at it. It took treason for Xeres to win.

Comment

How about the State of Qin. Introduced the Shang Yang's Legalist reforms, which swept away the aristocracy and implemented a meritocracy - only those who achieved could reach high places and birth privilege was reserved exclusively for the ruler of the state.

One of the most obvious results of this program of reform was that in the military. Previously the army had been controlled by nobles and constituted of feudal levies. Now generals could come from any part of society, provided they had sufficient skill. In addition, troops were highly trained and disciplined. Most of all, however, Qin's army instantly swelled to enormous size and had the full backing of the state. The result of numerous public works projects aimed at boosting agriculture had made it possible for the Qin to maintain and supply a standing force of over a million troops - a feat that no other state (apart, perhaps, from the other semi-barbarian kingdom of Chu) could match. All this was an incredible change; such revolutionary alterations to the accepted method of warfare did not occur in Europe until the time of the French Revolution, two thousand years later. The French would later call this as Levee in Mass.

Qin conquered the other states an united China for the first time. Qin Shi Huang imposed the State of Qin's centralized, non-hereditary bureaucratic system on his new empire in place of the Zhou's feudalistic one. The Qin Empire relied on the philosophy of legalism (with skillful advisors like Han Fei and Li Si). Centralization, achieved by ruthless methods, was focused on standardizing legal codes and bureaucratic procedures, the forms of writing and coinage, and the pattern of thought and scholarship. Characters from the former state of Qin became the standard for the entire empire. The length of the wheel axle was also unified and expressways standardized to ease transportation throughout the country. To silence criticism of imperial rule, the emperor banished or put to death many dissenting Confucian scholars and confiscated and burned their books.

Although the Qin Dynasty was short-lived, its legalist rule had a deep impact on later dynasties in China. The imperial system initiated during the Qin dynasty set a pattern that was developed over the next two millennia.

Comment

Working...
                              X