Gas Tax Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tax Poll

Would you support a $1 per gallon gas tax, phased in over 10 years, with the increase being 10 cents per year. The purpose of the tax is to relieve demand on oil, thereby reducing oil profits for Middle Eastern regimes (who will pay a good portion of the tax), helping us towards our goal of reducing our dependence on oil.
    Yes
    45.45%
    No
    54.55%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Yes. Skewing the market in favour of markets other than the middle east should be a government priority.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

We'll call it the War on Terror Tax!
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post
        We'll call it the War on Terror Tax!
        Victory Bonds mate, Victory Bonds.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I ante the $1.00 and raise ya $1.00. ;)

Comment

I voted yes before I read the part about reducing demand. I don't think it would do that. If the money went to Defense or R&D for reasonable laternatives then I'd stick with my Yes. If it's just to make driving more expensive then no way.

-dale

Comment

Depends on how the money is used.
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

No freakin' way.
                How would I fill up my hummerburban?
                Cato

Comment

I'll support a one megaton penalty instead.
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

HELL NO! to the new tax. Bleed the middle eastern bastards dry first then live off of our reserves. besides, What we don't buy on the international market China will snap up at a lower price and I am not willingly going to pay more to bolster China's economy so they can put even more of our people out of work. We do need to redouble our efforts for sustainable energy, and stretching current resources but there are other ways of paying for it.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      HELL NO! to the new tax. Bleed the middle eastern bastards dry first then live off of our reserves. besides, What we don't buy on the international market China will snap up at a lower price and I am not willingly going to pay more to bolster China's economy so they can put even more of our people out of work. We do need to redouble our efforts for sustainable energy, and stretching current resources but there are other ways of paying for it.
                      I couldn't have said it better.

We should reduce gas tax so we use more oil before anyone else uses them.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

If the tax is used to get off of oil altogether by funding alternatives (as Dalem suggested, and assuming it would work), who cares if the Chinese get it?

Comment

i'm paying 3.45 a gallon now. somehow i don't think that extra 1$ will be used for reserch of alt. sources of energy, this has always been supressed, and until there is no more oil at all, i don't think it'll be taken anymore seriously than now.too much money is in the oil.
                          Last edited by omon; 14 Dec 06,, 21:08.
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

What does our government do with new tax revenue? They'll spend it on welfare. Even if you write it into law that states this money can only be used for research, they'll find a way to "borrow" it with a promise to pay it back later. This is what California does with our Lotto revenue. It was sold to the public as money for education. But the state "borrows" that money every year to pay for some other programs.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Yep. No new tax unless it is rigidly specific down to the quantum level.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X