Future World Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future World Power?

Just wanted to know what people tought (thanks to who ever started this website, i was always told not to talk politics etc where i was but i found the place to do it , and hopefully unlike the games there are mature people here). Which country in the americas do you think is more likely to become a world power in the VERY far or near future??? , excluding of course USA , Canada.

Originally posted by Yanez
    Just wanted to know what people tought (thanks to who ever started this website, i was always told not to talk politics etc where i was but i found the place to do it , and hopefully unlike the games there are mature people here). Which country in the americas do you think is more likely to become a world power in the VERY far or near future??? , excluding of course USA , Canada.
    Probably Brazil.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

China, they must be stopped withen a few years or else this will be Cold War #2

Comment

ChrisF202...

Which country in the americas
        Unless China takes over South America, I don't think so.

Comment

Actually, no one! It entirely depends on USA. But out of all the countries Brazil has got the potential - R&D and innovation, farm and industrial output, natural resources and ofcourse size. But even Brazil cannot become a super power, unless USA wants it to be. Brazil cannot influence any wordly events or decisions, their economic diplomacy is in its infancy when compared with countries like China, India etc.
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

and hopefully unlike the games there are mature people here
            wait till u get to know me :)

Comment

Brazil is the only one in the Americas with a chance in the reasonably near future, but even then be prepared for a wait.

China, they must be stopped withen a few years or else this will be Cold War #2
              Ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy? There's only so much that can be done to "stop" China. Too much action risks open conflict, while any significant efforts short of that risks cold war #2. That said, China is well on its way to becoming a developed nation. I would have no problem with a developed China, and any actions taken against China for little reason other than to stop its development would just be hurting the Chinese people.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
                ChrisF202...

Unless China takes over South America, I don't think so.
                opps Something told me this was a thread about the American continent lol

I would say Brazil

Comment

I agree that Brazil has the best chance. Chile and Argentina could become powerful enough to stand alone and become developed as well but not a world power per say due to their smaller populations IMO. Mexico is far too dependent on the US to become a world power, as is Canada IMO.
                  Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

what about a regional coalition, like the EU, but in South America? They would be heaps strong, espeically considering they don't have a heap of international commitments, like the US.

I would imagine that the US will go the way of Britian. The UK broke her empire fighting two wars that it didn't strictly have to. The US was there to fill the vacuum. Something like that will happen again. The US will break itself trying to be the best in everything, and some other coutry/nation/region will take over internationally.
                    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                      what about a regional coalition, like the EU, but in South America?
                      That's what I was thinking too. ;)
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

China and Brazil are serious contenders. India has the manpower, but I think they are still a long way off. China is the most likely.
                        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Are we talking about the Olympics?

China is surely closing in as a World power! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Well, let's remember this is restricted to the Americas, not the whole world. On that note, Confed and Ziska, if there was a regional coalition, what about the fact that much of Latin America still exports raw material or agricultural products (for example, China buying Chilean copper is helping Chile's economy grow nowadays)? And also, what of education in Latin America? Why is it that Latin America has so few Nobel Prize winners? My wishlist would include the gov'ts of Latin America becoming a more fiscally responsible and making their primary focus education and facilitating foreign investment (and preferrably as much non-US as possible so they don't become very dependent on their neighbor to the north) to employ more people in both services and manufacturing. Also, especially in the Andes region but in Latin America as a whole, transportation infrastructure isn't all that amazing. Building more rail lines across the continent to transport manufactured goods and roads as well would certainly help. I also think gov't policy should ideally try to encourage certain up and coming fields like biotech and IT (to become outsourcing centers).
                            Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

Well, brazil is going through this experiment where they're trying to manufacture more stuff. I mean, if china can do it, brazil sure can. South america has everything they need. Low wages, natural resources, high population.

The only problem (and it is a massive problem) is political stability.
                              SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Working...
                              X