Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone know if dell.com does black friday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know if dell.com does black friday?

does anyone know if dell.com does black friday or cyber monday (ie have coupon codes)?

i'm looking into upgrading my computer, with a budget of around $600-$750. i don't need a monitor or a sound system (have those already).

any suggestions, recommendations? hp or dell? good deals? ways to customize? (i'd like to get 2 GB on memory, for example)

much thanks!
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

As a corollary to astralis' question:

Who here owns a Mac and what are the advantages/disadvantages, and what will be the growing pains of switching from an IBM platform to the Mac? Thanks.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
      does anyone know if dell.com does black friday or cyber monday (ie have coupon codes)?

i'm looking into upgrading my computer, with a budget of around $600-$750. i don't need a monitor or a sound system (have those already).

any suggestions, recommendations? hp or dell? good deals? ways to customize? (i'd like to get 2 GB on memory, for example)

much thanks!
      Make sure it has an AGP port if you want to play video games. Most Dells do not.

Comment

much thanks!
        You want an entire new system? Or just want to upgrade bits and pieces?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
          Make sure it has an AGP port if you want to play video games. Most Dells do not.
          Or even PCI-Express
          Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
          Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post

Who here owns a Mac and what are the advantages/disadvantages, and what will be the growing pains of switching from an IBM platform to the Mac? Thanks.
            Depends on what you want to do with your Mac.

I build my own systems and am very picky about my parts. Macs have very limited choices of parts, and mostly very expensive. So as a hardware guy, I don't like Macs.

If you just want to browse the web, shop, fire off some emails, write papers and print them, then the only difference you should notice will be the interface. Mac OS should read MS based document.

Comment

gunnut,

You want an entire new system? Or just want to upgrade bits and pieces?
              i'd like an entirely new system, without a monitor or sound card (this is why i said i preferred a way to customize). sort of drives me nuts, because most of the deals i see include the monitor.

m21,

most dells moved to PCI-e? my current video card, which i'd also like to keep, is AGP. you know if HP is the same?
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

i'd like an entirely new system, without a monitor or sound card (this is why i said i preferred a way to customize). sort of drives me nuts, because most of the deals i see include the monitor.
                You can order a Dell without a monitor. They're pretty cheap too.

most dells moved to PCI-e? my current video card, which i'd also like to keep, is AGP. you know if HP is the same?
                Depends on what you do, you may not even need to keep your AGP card. The most advanced onboard video is as powerful as a discrete card from a few years ago. It's enough for just about everything except for CAD or highend gaming.

I haven't seen the new systems from Dell or HP yet. Most of the stuff I have here are prototypes. They normally have PCI-e and no AGP now.

Try this one:
                http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

My Components
                PROCESSOR AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ edit
                OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
                UPGRADE TO WINDOWS VISTA No Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Selected edit
                MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs edit
                HARD DRIVE 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
                OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive edit
                MONITOR No Monitor edit
                VIDEO CARD NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU edit
                SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

My Accessories
                SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
                KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse edit
                FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit
                MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem edit

My Software
                PRODUCTIVITY No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit
                ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY No Security Subscription edit
                Dell Recommends
                Help Protect Your New PC!
                PC-cillin™ Software, 15 months!
                Help Me Choose
                Upgrade to PC-cillin Internet Security with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 15-months [add $79 or $3/month1]

PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE! Trial pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo edit
                My Service
                WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service edit
                Dell Recommends
                An Additional Year of Service!
                Upgrade Your Years of Service. Choose 2 Years of Service and protect your investment!
                (If Complete Care selected, number of years must match warranty term)
                Help Me Choose

Upgrade to 2Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service [add $80 or $3/month1]

DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS 6 Months of America Online Membership Included edit
                ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
                Mouse Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package
                Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
                Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
                Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
                Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
                Labels Vista Capable Sticker
                I started with the cheapest one and made sure I got Athlon64 processor instead of Sempron. Oh yeah, forgot about the price. I think this is around $580. I stripped everything out of it, upgraded CPU and to 2GB memory, and a DVD-RW. You can add more hard drive space if you want. It's easy and cheap.
                Last edited by gunnut; 17 Nov 06,, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post

I run a G4 at home as my internet interface, primarily because of lack of viruses but also because I'm heavily image focused and the mac software eats the competition. I run Tiger on it which means I can have several desktop setups so my wee girl can have it set up for her to play her games on-line without cluttering up my workstation.

At work I'm currently running HP's with 10 terrabytes each as workstations but am going to replace them with the Mac Pro as it has all off the shelf componentry, desktop swapping and can partition-render while I continue working. I'm not a big fan of the Mac/PC debate as both have their benefits but the Mac Pro eats everything else on the market and can run most recent windows applications within an emulator which comes standard. Microsoft mac comes as standard.

Mac Pro
                  Part of this site gives you a price-build so you can decide what you need and get a price for it.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka View Post
                    Mac Pro eats everything else on the market and can run most recent windows applications within an emulator which comes standard.
                    But emulator will kill your performance.

And Macs are hella expensive.

Comment

Shek,
                      Downside of macs.
                      Games. Most popular games don't run on the older macs.
                      Software. Unless it's graphics based, popular software isn't available on older macs. (although MS Office is supplied for macs running OSX)
                      Mouse. The one button mouse is a pain in the ****, I get around it by using 4 button pen and tablets, which once you get used to them are way better with no OOS issues (downside NZ$250, don't know what they cost stateside)

I'll continue to post on this as and when things occur to me.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        But emulator will kill your performance.
                        The emulator reduces the speed to about the performance you'd get on an average PC
                        And Macs are hella expensive.
                        Latest prices IIRC only about 10%, and stability is way better.
                        (As regards the prices, I'm talking top end use for editing, haven't checked out low end home use, but a decent 2nd hand G5 is same as good 2nd hand PC's, here anyway)

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka View Post
                          The emulator reduces the speed to about the performance you'd get on an average PC
                          Latest prices IIRC only about 10%, and stability is way better.
                          (As regards the prices, I'm talking top end use for editing, haven't checked out low end home use, but a decent 2nd hand G5 is same as good 2nd hand PC's, here anyway)
                          Perhaps. But I can buy parts and build a PC for myself.

And I doubt you can run Company of Heroes or Crysis in emulation anywhere close to what I can on a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            And I doubt you can run Company of Heroes or Crysis in emulation anywhere close to what I can on a PC.
                            Yep, the games issue is a pain. That's why I also run that VAIO I was having ram issues with;)

Leibniz

Comment

Here is my take on this. I build my own all the time. I have never owned a "brand" since the 386 days.

Dell is today probably the best bet over HP. HP and Compaq just merged and the support sucks. I have replaced more HP Power Supplies than normal. Bundled software is also cheezy.

Dell has the Dual-Core AMDs with 64-bit video- a "gotta have" for high end games. The current PCI-E video cards outperform an AGP. But they all have an AGP slot also so you can add your own in if you like.

Most manufacturer's system boards come with on-board video. All Dell ones are good, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. There are slots to add your own. No biggie.

You can order a system from Dell without the monitor. Use the money on memory instead. At least 1Gb RAM, 2 if you are a serious gamer.

Dell has 2 primary workstation models. They are Dimension ( home) and Precision ( power user). The Precision offers RAID for Drive redundancy, if your drive poops on you. This may not be all that important.

No, I don't work for Dell, I'm just a Network Janitor!!:)

Comment

Working...
                              X