So I just started working out....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just started working out....

And I was thinking maybe some vitamins would be a good idea, does anyone know of any (safe) vitamins and things of the like that should help me lose some weight and gain some muscle mass?

Welcome to the club james,
    Stay away from the steriods and other muscle building vitamins you see in GNC. When I just started and was trying to beef up I found the best way is to have 6 meals a day. What ever you do don't go googling work outs from the internet. there intended for the pros who have been lifting for years. Stick to the basics find your 10rep max and do that 4 or 5 times.Stay away from high protein diets that you also might see on the net. They say have 1.5g of proteins for every pound you weigh. It will make your liver explode. If you are going to get some vitamins get some wei protein(i think thats how you spell it) make a little smoothie with it.PM me if you have any other questions

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks View Post
      Welcome to the club james,
      Stay away from the steriods and other muscle building vitamins you see in GNC. When I just started and was trying to beef up I found the best way is to have 6 meals a day. What ever you do don't go googling work outs from the internet. there intended for the pros who have been lifting for years. Stick to the basics find your 10rep max and do that 4 or 5 times.Stay away from high protein diets that you also might see on the net. They say have 1.5g of proteins for every pound you weigh. It will make your liver explode. If you are going to get some vitamins get some wei protein(i think thats how you spell it) make a little smoothie with it.PM me if you have any other questions
      Well I did consider buying some protein, there is a vitamin store in my local mall so i guess that would be a good start. I dont want to spend an excessive amount of money though! A friend of mine has a GAINT jug of protein powder that cost him lik $60, thats way more than i plan on spending so I hope I can find some that is at least a bit cheaper... What way would I prepare the smoothie?

Comment

it doesnt matter i think you can just mix it with water and drink it but it wouldent taste as good as a fruit smoothie. you dont even need the protein powder just eat alot. giant plate of eggs and bacon in the morning,a snack, sandwitch for lunch, big steak or hamburger for dinner, some ice cream or something for desert. alternativly there are 2,000 calorie drinks at gnc. I had one once they are really tasty like a chocolate milk shake. i never really tried it though and i dont know how much they cost, probly about 2/3 dollars more in your price range

Comment

I would advise that you make an appointment with a nutritionist. He/ she shall be able to advise a scientific meal chart. Of course, this will be done after an analysis as to what mineral is deficient in your body.

There can be nothing better than a scientifically balanced meal of natural food.

Just popping pills may be wrong since it is to supplement that lack of minerals and not overdose you with minerals that already exists in your body.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Not to mention

Not to mention expensive. Supplements are expensive and applied wrong a total waste of money. Most of the vitamins you take in a multi, wash right out within a few hours. Makes for some expensive (and bright yellow) pee. Maybe sup some protien, load up on veggies, lay off the junk food, but really just concentrate on how hard you're working out. All the diet and supplements in the world don't matter if you go to the gym and stand around BSing.

d
            Relax. It's worse than you think.

Comment

Well my plan was to purchase some protein (preferably pills) because added protein (to an extent) can do no harm and give my body the materials needed to make more muscle. I do not want to eat more or more calories or anything because I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle not just bulk up. Oh and I definitly do not just stand around and BS, I go to a rich school (im poor but got a half scholarship) so they have 2 seperate weight rooms, one for the football team with mainly free weights and one for the whole school. I go to the one for the whole school which has mainly those plate machines. It's free so I just go when I want with friends pretty much everyday. I certainly know I'm not BSing because of the sweat, tiredness and soreness I get from working out so ferverously, but I'm not overdoing it to the point that its bad for my muscles or anything. So I just want some vitamins to speed up my progress like protein. If it matters I'm 14, 6'1" and about 220 lbs.

Comment

You're 14 ?

Wow. That's young. At this point, don't sweat that stuff. Learn good form, proper technique. Couple years of practice and you'll be ready to get under some heavier weight and then you can start lookin at supplements. But really, at your age, your body is going to respond well without all that other stuff. You've got more HGH and Test in your pinky finger now than I've got in the whole of my body. I really wish I'd started training at 14 man. You're in for a hell of an adventure.

d
                Relax. It's worse than you think.

Comment

The only pills you should ever take are those prescribed by a doctor for an ailment. Otherwise leave pills and any other drugs well alone.
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Eating healthy is far better than any suppliment or pills. Don't skimp on rest/sleep, and learn the propper tecnique for working out. focus on the long term steady gains and avoid the quick fixes. You only have one body so you want to reach your full potential, but you don't want to screw up your body in an attempt to gain unrealistic goals.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

If your looking to gain muscle mass, skip the exercise machines or any kind of assisted weight machine (hammer strengths etc.) and move right to the free weights. Theres nothing like dumbells and barbells to add some muscle poundage to your frame!
                      My weight training coach always had us concentrate on the meat-and-potato exercises: squat, deadlift, bench, cleans. Even if aesthetics are your primary concern, these will add more and better muscles than isolation exercises like curls or calf raises. Id say get in that football weight room! Good luck and dont give up!

Comment

Run. Run. Run like hell. Oh yea, and fix up an appointment with a nutritionist for the perfect diet.
                        I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

And I was thinking maybe some vitamins would be a good idea, does anyone know of any (safe) vitamins and things of the like that should help me lose some weight and gain some muscle mass?
                          concentrate on eating right, prefably lean red meat, drink lots of water, have proper sleep and most of all have an action plan of what area you want to build up, dont do everything in one go, have one day for legs, one day for chest and one day for your back and make sure you do them properly i.e 3-4 diffrent exercise for legs/chest/back, and after this rest your muscles so that they heal.

tip - Actors like Vin Diesel and Will Smith eat junk like Burgers etc and pump in the gym, closer to filming they focus on the cardio - burn the fat off, leaving just a good defined body.

If it matters I'm 14, 6'1" and about 220 lbs.
                          Bit young to start free weight training, do that in 3-4 years, concentrate on cardio, join a boxing club or something so you can concenrate on fitness and up the strenght of your upper body.

Comment

Cottage cheese, tuna, and egg whites are the cheapest, low-fat sources of protein I can think of.

24 oz container of 1% cottage cheese: 480 calories and 75 grams of protein. $3

1 can of tuna in spring water: 150 calories, 32 grams of protein. $0.75

12 egg whites: 200 calories, 50 grams of protein. $1.00
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                            X