London Muslims ‘should play greater role in politics, economy’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Muslims ‘should play greater role in politics, economy’

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

London Muslims ‘should play greater role in politics, economy’

LONDON: Muslims should play a greater role in London’s politics and the economy to help stem prejudice and discrimination, according to a report on Tuesday.

Muslims make up 8.5 percent of the capital’s population, but are under-represented on its councils and among its workforce, said the “Muslims in London” report.

Mayor Ken Livingstone, jointly presenting the report, said, “Muslims in London face serious discrimination and prejudice. I hope this report will increase understanding between communities and combat some of the ignorance, prejudice and Islamophobia stirred up by some sections of the media.”

The report called for more Muslims to be elected to public office and to serve in public bodies like the police, education system and civil service.

The mayor’s comments, backed by Muslim Council of Britain General Secretary Muhammad Abdul Bari, come at a time of alleged Muslim segregation and controversy over the wearing of the veil. Livingstone accused the media of running a “totally one-sided” debate. He said that it reflected the Nazi propaganda of the 1930s when Jews were blamed for their own and society’s ills.

The mayor claimed that Muslims did not want to be separated from the rest of the community, but he accused employers and housing associations of having helped create such a situation. Entering the veil debate, he said he would never ask a Muslim woman to remove her veil, just as he would not think of asking a Jew to remove his skull cap or a Christian to take off her cross.

“It is important that the role of the media in promoting negative stereotypes of Muslims and Islam is challenged,” the report said. It found that after the London bombings of July last year, individual Muslims experienced fear and feelings of suspicion, to the extent that some curtailed their normal routines. Abdul Bari blamed Muslim unemployment and deprivation for tensions.

The report, drawing upon the 2001 census and other sources, found only 42 percent of Muslims aged between 16 and 24 were economically active, compared with 60 percent of the general population.

The report said, “Muslims in London face several barriers to employment, including educational underachievement, discrimination, lack of affordable and appropriate childcare, lack of suitable training, travel costs and housing costs.”

It said that there was “significant under-representation” of Muslim communities in all spheres of public life.

There is just one Muslim MP representing a London constituency, when propohttp://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\10\25\story_25-10-2006_pg7_19rtionally there should be six. Also, there are only 63 Muslim councillors, where proportionally there should be 169. reuters
    Isn't the Mayor of London is known as Mullah Ken?

How can Moslems be ordered to enter into any field of British society? It all depends on one's inclination and one must have qualifications to fit the job. I agree Merlin is a British wizard, but then his name was not Ken Livingstone!

What is Ken-man trying to prove by stating that he does not ask a woman to take off her veil? A Moslem man wear a cap but does anyone tell him to take it off? So, where is the connection with the skull cap or a wee cross around the neck like a bauble? Indeed, if the skull cap covered the face or a cross covered the face, anyone would ask the person to take it off. Do we talk to people from being the cover of a bush or a tree? Stupid logic of a deranged and imbecilic Englishman!

The British media is like the Nazi propaganda? Good grief! Or is that true?

This Abdul boy is another odd fish. He blames unemployment for tensions. Fine, let us now appoint the Islamic village idiot as the Vice Chacellor of Cambridge. I think that would be fair, right?

How can unqualified chaps be given jobs? What are jobs? Freebies?

I am astounded at the logic of both these blokes.

Can some Englishman tell me whats up?

I agree mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun!

And this year it was real warm in England I am told. Ken seems to have had a touch of the sun!

As far as the other guy, Abdul, the sun should not have affected him since it is normal to be out in the sun back home. Therefore, what he has said is a normal rant.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Isn't the Mayor of London is known as Mullah Ken?

How can Moslems be ordered to enter into any field of British society? It all depends on one's inclination and one must have qualifications to fit the job. I agree Merlin is a British wizard, but then his name was not Ken Livingstone!
    Utterly agree!

What is Ken-man trying to prove by stating that he does not ask a woman to take off her veil? A Moslem man wear a cap but does anyone tell him to take it off? So, where is the connection with the skull cap or a wee cross around the neck like a bauble? Indeed, if the skull cap covered the face or a cross covered the face, anyone would ask the person to take it off. Do we talk to people from being the cover of a bush or a tree? Stupid logic of a deranged and imbecilic Englishman!
    Yep, you'd almost think Livingstone was trying to court the Muslim vote in London....

The report said, “Muslims in London face several barriers to employment, including educational underachievement, discrimination, lack of affordable and appropriate childcare, lack of suitable training, travel costs and housing costs.”
    So only one of the reasons that can be applied to Muslims cannot be applied to the rest of the population.
    It's funny how between 400-600,000 Poles and East Europeans have been able to find work in the UK in the last 2 years. Perhaps "attitude to work" and "desire to live off the state" should be added into the lists.

It said that there was “significant under-representation” of
    Muslim communities in all spheres of public life.
    There is also under-representation of Blacks, Hindus, women, people under 25, lesbians and trans-sexuals - so again, not a special case.

“Muslims in London face serious discrimination and prejudice. I hope this report will increase understanding between communities and combat some of the ignorance, prejudice and Islamophobia stirred up by some sections of the media.”
    I hope the Muslims can also deal with some of the fear stirred up by terrorism,
    and Muslim intolerance to critisicm.

Some sections of the media do stir things up, others apologise for Muslims at every turn. Some report a balanced view. So it's freedom of speech really, something Islam is none too keen on.
    (Of course, the same sections of the media are not all that keen on homosexuality, the French, the EURO and Mr Ken "That Jewish journalist is like a Nazi concentration camp guard" Livingstone.) The problem with the old left is that that it has unthinkingly transfered it's sympathies from the old "downtrodden" working man, to our poor, downtrodden Muslim brethren.

Of course Muslims would be more integrated if they achieved economic success. They need to start achieving in school; perhaps "move house" if there is no work in an area, and stop expecting the state to subsidise their religious zeal.

Comment

This Livingstone not only wants the Moslem votes but may have already converted.

They pay good money if you do; at least in India!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
      X