Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a pinch, could Marine carriers serve as a platform for F-18's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a pinch, could Marine carriers serve as a platform for F-18's?

Assuming that for whatever reason, enough CVN's are out of commission that we need to cobble together a scratch force involving Marine carriers to do the heavy lifting.

Originally posted by Zhang Fei View Post
    Assuming that for whatever reason, enough CVN's are out of commission that we need to cobble together a scratch force involving Marine carriers to do the heavy lifting.
    If you are referring to the Tarawa and Wasp class amphibious carriers being used as a platform for F/A-18 Hornets, the answer is a resounding No. They are strictly VSTOL carriers, whereas the Hornet is a CTOL aircraft, needing a catapult to take off from a carrier and arresting gear to land on one. The LHA/LHD's have neither.

(Caveat: I don't know if the Hornet could take off using a ski-jump or not. Certainly it's weapon's load - and therefore it's usefulness as anything but a fighter - would be minimal.)

Now, if you were talking about the F-35, then we'd have some food for thought.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Comment

IMO We could always pull a "baby" from either of the reserve fleets Atlantic or Pacific to accomidate sealift command. Not sure how many are left but my guess between the two fleets would be a total of 2-4. As far as the Carriers go I believe they would always have one or two on standby as part of EOP pending which fleet or theatre required them.
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 05 Oct 06,, 17:58.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The actual timeframe is top secret, but Congress does a review every so many years on the shipbuilding industry and gets estimates on times it would take to build various ships if a requirement for maximum production is required. You'll know when these meetings take place because they are one of the few closed door sessions Congress has with the shipbuilding industry every few years.

I recall in late 1990, as Operation Desert Shield was ramping up, Northrop Grumman let it slip they could build a 65,000 ton CV about the size of the old Midway class with an angled deck in less than 9 months, and build up to 4 of them in about 2 years IF at max production, AND it would be expensive.

I don't know what that number would be today, but I would bet it would be at least that today, if not faster due to technology advances in both construction techniques and technology advancements in design.

I'd be interested if Rusty had a take on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Galrahn View Post
            I recall in late 1990, as Operation Desert Shield was ramping up, Northrop Grumman let it slip they could build a 65,000 ton CV about the size of the old Midway class with an angled deck in less than 9 months, and build up to 4 of them in about 2 years IF at max production, AND it would be expensive.
            Sounds great on paper, but there are probably quite a few long leadtime items that require more than 9 months to build. There's just some things that you can't buy off the shelf.

Not trying to tell Northrop Grumman how to run their business, but that just doesn't seem really likely.

You wouldn't happen to know of any links to that slip do you?
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Fei View Post
              They're not carriers, they're amphibious assault ships. They have no cats or arresting wires.
              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

A carrier landing had essentially been described as a controlled crash. One slams the bird into the deck to get it on the deck. Off hand, I would say a CV is built to take that kind of stress, day in, day out.

But is an amphib similarly designed? I don't know but before one goes about slamming a bird into the deck a few dozen times over, that might be an item of consideration.
                ----------------------------------------------
                ("They say that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing."--Major West to Judy Robinson after their (first) crash landing, (w,stte), "Lost in Space")

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  You wouldn't happen to know of any links to that slip do you?
                  I don't know of any, this was back in 1990 so I doubt there would be anything online, few things exist online that date before around 1994.

If I remember correctly, the US was building 20 or more ships a year up to the late 80s. With the industry only building 5-7 ships per year these days, I think you are right and it would take much, much longer just to get the materials.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
                    They're not carriers, they're amphibious assault ships. They have no cats or arresting wires.
                    Which carriers are currently considered the reserve carriers? Which is the training carrier and could that ship be turned around into a front line carrier pretty quick?

Comment

None, everything that isn't in service is basically cat-X these days.
                      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X