This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by highsea View Post
    With those high sides it's going to be a b*tch getting the sea-doos on and off...
    It has a stern ramp and a side door for that.
    F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
      It better! I don't see any kind of fishing cockpit either, which is an obvious design flaw. I suppose the day boats will have to do...
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
        With those high sides it's going to be a b*tch getting the sea-doos on and off...
        I don't know what the stern looks like...maybe it's configured for launch and recovery.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          I don't know what the stern looks like...maybe it's configured for launch and recovery.
          UH, TH you might want to look two or three posts up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            SOMEBODY PAINT THAT POOR THING HAZE GREY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
            And mount a couple fake guns on it.(since real guns are apparently out of the question)

Right now it wouldn't intimidate a girl scout.

Comment

Know what you mean man. Im still not comfortable with the armament that these are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
                Know what you mean man. Im still not comfortable with the armament that these are going to get.
                they're coming up with some kind of weapons module for the top of the helicopter deck. That being said, I'd feel much better if they found room for an 8-cell Mk41 SDL length launcher somewhere for ESSM.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
                  And mount a couple fake guns on it.(since real guns are apparently out of the question)

Right now it wouldn't intimidate a girl scout.
                  LMAO
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
                    Here's a good shot of them:
                    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...lm-image31.jpg

Comment

Hopefully that is hopefully she'll end up pierside here sometime in the future for a closer look.:)

Comment

I get the impression that this is not a ship to take on any sort of major combatants, but smaller vessels, mines, special ops, and maybe subs in shallows. How would this ship handle in "blue water" with that shallow draft? What use would it be to be in a battle group? What if it ran up against a hostile Russian Frigate armed with Moskits? From what information they are telling us so far, it's lunchmeat against any major combatant.
                        Last edited by Sandman; 03 Oct 06,, 22:37.

Comment

Dang. Didn't realize those babies were that close to production. Not too bad...if you're Sweden. Seriously, I do think there's a place for corvette size warships in coastal areas, but give 'em some hitting power, for pete's sake. But maybe it's a tradeoff between range/speed and firepower?
                          Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                          Not bad looking, but Ruskie ships have a more sharply angled bow, which I like. (is that called "rake"?) Maybe looks isn't important though.
                          Yes. Often the rake of the bow is related to the position of the sonar. IIRC, a bow mounted sonar requires a more raked bow, while a keel mounted sonar doesn't. I believe it has to do with keeping the anchor from hitting the sonar. Personally, I like both the American/Russian shark nose style and the British snub nose. Different styles, but both pretty cool.
                          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                            I get the impression that this is not a ship to take on any sort of major combatants, but smaller vessels, mines, special ops, and maybe subs in shallows. How would this ship handle in "blue water" with that shallow draft? What use would it be to be in a battle group? What if it ran up against a hostile Russian Frigate armed with Moskits? From what information they are telling us so far, it's lunchmeat against any major combatant.
                            From what I've read around here, there are some advocating using these in CVBGs, or whatever we call 'em these days. Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. One helicopter for ASW, and what else, exactly? Not even ESSM? Probably doesn't carry many weapon reloads, either. The Perrys at least have two helicopters, even if their speed leaves something to be desired.
                            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I for one would like to congradulate General Dynamics on their win in advance.
                              Last edited by canoe; 19 Dec 06,, 23:08.

Comment

IMO The armament needs to be heavier. She should atleast be capable to launch the newest generation torpedoes in salvo. She does however have RAM aboard which is good.Perhaps maybe a second medium range gun on the deck.

Comment

Working...
                                X